Subject: Expansion idea rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave evans
United Kingdom
iPSWICH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not having actually played yet with my gaming group, my first thought about Tribes is that I hope any future expansion builds an extra mechanism.

The game seems neat to me - but if you wanted a slightly more complex, point salad game you could add a dimension that allowed you to use the acquired skills to score points in a different way.

Then you'd have an alternative route to victory, instead of just inventing new skills you could maybe take actions that allowed you to score points using already invented skills.

.... or something - I'm not a designer!!

Nothing wrong with the game as it is mind - I am very happy so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Dorn
Austria
flag msg tools
Although I understand why the creators decided to have hidden technology trees, I would like to have a game variant with some fix technology trees to choose from. That would ensure that every tree makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Savage
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spina1980 wrote:
Although I understand why the creators decided to have hidden technology trees, I would like to have a game variant with some fix technology trees to choose from. That would ensure that every tree makes sense.

I agree - if I have one major "annoyance" about this game, it's that the tech trees make no sense most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very tight game, design-wise. I have tested sooo many small variations that I thought should work out ok (this is what I always do, trying to make the game as good as possible, major part of development) but that made the game broken or strange in some way. Some of the small variations worked well and are part of the game as it is now, but I was surpised that there are so many things that do not work at all.

I saw some of this in Nations: The dice game, as that is a very tight game as well, but not at all as pronounced. In the big Nations game by contrast, the game is large and forgiving (design-wise), even with huge changes the game still worked and was fun, so it was deciding what worked best among things that worked over and over and over.

Here, it was clear very quickly, often before the first test game was finished, that a new variation did not work at all.

The hidden techs are important to reduce the amount of information players need to consider from the start. When the third row is revealed all the players will have some techs invented and the possibilities they have will be easier to parse. It has a big impact on the length of the game.

Totally open techs should be fine, but it is not something I recommend. If you do that, I suggest using one tech using each resource per row, and not have any tech leading to a new with the same resource (plus a layout that makes good sense thematically) . I guess this variant would add 50% or more playtime to the game. If you do try this or something like it, please post a report and a picture!

OP: Strength is used for VP through events. This is an important part of the game that is hard to see from reading the rules. In some games events have small impact, in some games large. Impact depends on the sum total of all that is randomized in each game + how the players have played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Dorn
Austria
flag msg tools
@Rustan: Thank you for the insides from your point of view!

Maybe I will try once the following game variant: Whenever a new tech is revealed, only a tech is randomly chosen from a pool of reasonable technologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Morris
msg tools
mbmbmb
I really like the idea of the open techs. Having tech advancements requiring different resources should offset the luck of the draw in getting new hexes by exploration. Instead of the feeling of getting screwed by drawing useless tiles, since you're going to need to diversify anyway, maybe the random draw will serve to inform how and when you advance up the tree.

As to the thematic sense in certain configurations of techs, I personally don't think that is a problem. The rahdo runthrough perfectly captures the fun in rationalizing the way in which the techs come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.