Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Bailey
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing Majesty: For the Realm for the first time, I realized I had found my Splendor killer. And I only realized that both games share the same designer while adding up victory points. Majesty is accessible, quick and satisfying, and it has the profile of a Spiel des Jahres nominee. (Two asides: I don’t actually like Splendor. And yes, I have played Century: Spice Road.)

Majesty was the last of 40 games I played at Gen Con. I encountered it at peak exhaustion, hunger, and self-induced poverty. But it delighted me like no game has at the convention since a prototype of Seven Wonders. I was drawn to Majesty because of its cheerful illustrations and meeples that hinted at worker placement. I quickly discovered that it's actually a point salad, but how delicious it is.

You will take 12 actions in Majesty. You will score victory points each time. You will even score victory points when it’s not your turn. But regular doses of pleasure do not remove all tension. You must wisely spend limited resources. You must track multiple tableaus to efficiently score victory points. You must decide whether to build your defenses or forge an attack.

It's not clear how much strategic depth there is in Majesty. There are some obvious pathways but you are ultimately limited by the six character cards placed before you. Final scoring uses divergent axes — in addition to area majority, diversity is rewarded — that make each of your decisions important.

Because there is little information about Majesty available, I’ve written a rules summary below that highlights how easy it can be taught. Four English speakers who played a German copy went from zero knowledge to declaring a winner within 30 minutes. The iconography provides clear reminders of each action, and turns are brisk. Analysis paralysis would be impossible.

Majesty will not make you feel like you outwitted your opponents, but it should bring you joy.

Rules Summary

(Caveat lector: I have not read Majesty’s rules. I may have been taught some things incorrectly.)

Each player will select one of six character cards that are laid on the table. Selecting the first character in line costs nothing. Selecting any other character requires the payment of a meeple onto every character that is being skipped. To earn more meeples, you must select a character with meeples placed on it or select one of the two characters whose actions provide one.

The selected character is immediately placed in its specific location within the player’s tableau and an action is resolved. Each character directly provides victory points and some offer an extra ability. (There are alternate scoring mechanisms on the back of the locations.)

Miller: Two points for each miller you possess.
Brewer: Two points and one meeple for each brewer you possess. Any player with at least one miller earns two points.
Witch: Two points for each miller, brewer, and witch you possess. Heal the top character in the infirmary by returning it to its location.
Guard: Two points for each guard, soldier, and innkeeper you possess. Each guard negates the existence of one attacking soldier from an opponent.
Soldier: Three points for each soldier you possess. Any opponent with fewer guards than you have soldiers must place his or her leftmost character facedown into the infirmary. (Two soldiers versus one guard kills one character. Five soldiers versus one guard also kills one character.)
Innkeeper: Four points for each innkeeper you possess. Any player with at least one brewer earns three points.
Princess: Five points and one meeple for each princess you possess.
Infirmary: At the end of the game, each character here counts as one negative point.

Many cards are split between two characters, and you must immediately decide which you would like them to be used as. They must remain as that character unless they are sent to the infirmary and later healed by the witch; then you must make the choice again. Whenever you have a full allotment of five meeples and should acquire another one, you will earn one victory point instead. Meeples are not worth any victory points at the end of the game.

Each of the seven locations scores points for the player with the most characters there. If you have the most millers, you score 10 points; if you have the most brewers, you score 11 points, etc. (Ties for plurality result in points for all tied players.) And for each of your locations with a character, you earn that many points squared. If you have three locations represented, you score nine points (three times three); six locations scores you 36 points (six times six).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Bailey wrote:

Each of the seven locations scores points for the player with the most characters there. If you have the most millers, you score 10 points; if you have the most brewers, you score 11 points, etc. (Ties for plurality result in points for all tied players.) And for each of your locations with a character, you earn that many points squared. If you have three locations represented, you score nine points (three times three); six locations scores you 36 points (six times six).

THANK you for the rules summary. My demo guy literally said "there's some other confusing end game scoring so we'll skip since it's just a demo." Without that squares rule about having all types, the game felt strongly like it was missing something. There was no reason to ever consider cards other than spamming the types you already working on. That makes a HUUUUUGE difference. I'll have to play the game again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bailey
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome! FWIW, the winner and runner-up in our game both had all seven locations filled; third and fourth place had six locations filled.

I'm hopeful you can win with a strategy that heavily focuses on Miller-Brewer-Witch or Guard-Soldier-Innkeeper while maybe stretching to five locations. Otherwise, the game would lose some of my interest. Taking a character an opponent needs for the variety bonus also seems important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet it was more interesting with 4p also. 2p didn't seem as interesting, because I maintained 5 meeples all game (by mostly taking things at the front or taking cards he put meeples on), so any time a Queen flipped, I was able to take it, as my opponent didn't keep his meeples up and I could always go to the end and grab it.

What were your scores? I scored 143 but would have had 168 since I had five types I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bailey
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think scores were about 150-130-130-120. I spent my early actions trying to diversify my characters, which is almost certainly incorrect, especially because there is a large amount of split character cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Diebold
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
What were your scores? I scored 143 but would have had 168 since I had five types I think.

In a 2p game you can easily made over 180-200 points. So maybe don't save your Meepels next time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Seems like every game is a "Splendor Killer" these days ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:

This hardly compares to Splendor. It's much lighter and faster. I bet two experienced players can play in under 10 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
aldaryn wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

This hardly compares to Splendor. It's much lighter and faster. I bet two experienced players can play in under 10 minutes.

I guess I should have phrased it as "Everyone think's every game is a Splendor killer these days ..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the rules summary! This looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we should let Splendor live! It's a fine game I hope to always be able to play.

And this one looks interesting too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Janssen
United States
Lake Zurich
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

Is it possible to be lighter than Splendor? I suppose a bit, but it's rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdjanssen wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

It is. You can only do 1 type of thing in your turn instead of 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Cipiere
France
Courbevoie
flag msg tools
mb
I played it 3 weeks ago and it was fast and fun with a lot of interesting choices.

Highly enjoyable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Costa
Brazil
Manaus
Amazonas
flag msg tools
father, son, gamer
badge
father, son, gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
rdjanssen wrote:
aldaryn wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

It is. You can only do 1 type of thing in your turn instead of 4.

No intention to be rude, but having fewer rules/options might make it more elegant, but not necessarily easier/lighter/shallow.

In Go, for instance, you can only do the same action turn after turn. Go is extremely elegant and deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very intesrested in this game. Was looking at century for our next family game but the more kid friendly golem version is too hard to get. My kid will enjoy building a kingdom so it could be the next family star !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Wassen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this at Spiel with 3 friends and we didn't really like it. It's way too simple, there's no interesting choices as everything scores points, attacking doesn't do anything of note, and the games forces you to diversify if you actually want to win.

Positive note: I do like the coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Estêvão
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried a 2-player demo at Essen and really liked the game. Simple rules, interesting - but not overwhelming - choices and very fast play. Would have taken a copy home with me but it was already sold out.

I don't know if this is a Splendor-killer but I do think it has the potential for being a Splendor-like hit. It is also begging for expansions, both in the form of buildings and occupations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here - though I was never terribly keen on Splendor.

Rather than wait for Z-man to sell me an English edition at inflated proces, I've just ordered a copy from Amazon.de.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cheston
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the chips in this game have a similar heft as the older Splendor chips or are they just light plastic, like the current Splendor chips are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Fang
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is an old saying about “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery “. Perhaps “competition” works the same way.

That games would attempt to be classified as Splendor-killers perhaps speaks of Splendor’s quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silver Fang wrote:
There is an old saying about “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery “. Perhaps “competition” works the same way.

That games would attempt to classified as Splendor-killers perhaps speaks of Splendor’s quality.

nailed it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The chips, although much smaller than Splendor's, also exhibit heft. They're probably weighted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Van Der Werf
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just got the German copy for 15 bucks in some black Friday sale, wasnt interested at first but couldn't refuse at that price. Looking at it this seems so overproduced though, hefty tokens which could have just used a scoreboard? And there seems to be some sort of expansion space in the box. And then the cards are quite small unfortunately and pretty weak. Don't get why they produce it like this, could have half the boxsize, no chips and a better quality card. I get they have to be small but they could have went with long small bridge type cards.

Game so far seems like a fine filler, but only played once. Will have to see if this stats interesting or not

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.