Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't figure out how fires work. I'm sure it's in the rules, but I cannot find anything. So, a few questions:

1. What are they for?

2. I read somewhere that you start with one fire, but I can't figure out what that means.

3. The "custom" characters come with 4 fire tokens (for solo play) ... does that mean I can drop one anytime I want? And can I have 4 fires burning at the same time.

Mainly though, I can't figure out what they do. Which seems important.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certain items will give you the action to make a fire. The fire token limit means that once you reach that limit you will have to remove a fire from the board before placing a new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I find out what fires actually do on certain cards? Or from the rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played much, but from what I've seen everything becomes apparent when you need to know...

So on the regular characters you will see that you can draw one less card when moving to a tile that has another character or a fire on it - so there's one use.

To place them there is various skill cards you'll get that could be crafted into items that may help you make fire (think about how you'd make a fire if you were out hiking in the woods for real...).

I'm sure there's plenty of other things fire will be used for that I haven't discovered yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards will require, or be enhanced by, the fire resource. Using an item to place a campfire on a terrain tile will give you the fire resource while on that tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hollow
msg tools
mb
Don't forget that all the regular characters (opposed to custom characters edit: custom ones more so than the regular ones) have an ability that saves energy when walking onto a tile with a fire miniature present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ahura Mazda
msg tools
The most basic usage when playing pure solo is to cook food. Cooking food gives you double the cards back. Very nice indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with the custom solo characters, it is much easier to walk to a tile with a fire figure. This allows you to go exploring and easily return to your base camp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
robbydee wrote:
I can't figure out how fires work. I'm sure it's in the rules, but I cannot find anything. So, a few questions:

1. What are they for?

2. I read somewhere that you start with one fire, but I can't figure out what that means.

3. The "custom" characters come with 4 fire tokens (for solo play) ... does that mean I can drop one anytime I want? And can I have 4 fires burning at the same time.

Mainly though, I can't figure out what they do. Which seems important.

Thanks

1) There will be cards that make use of a fire token if you have one built on the same terrain as your explorer , but the main use referenced in the rules is that in order to save the game you must have all explorers and a fire token on the same terrain card.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The use you will find most quickly for fire is that food cards will give improved results if you're on a terrain card with fire, and some state cards are removed when you're on a terrain with a fire token.

2) You start with one fire token per character. All that means is that there's a max limit of how many can be in play at one time.

3) You can't drop a fire token unless you have a game effect that allows you to place one. As far as the custom characters, I don't recall the setup, but if for solo play you're allowed 4 tokens, all that means is that you have that many that you can place when you get the game effects that allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:

1) There will be cards that make use of a fire token if you have one built on the same terrain as your explorer, but the main use referenced in the rules is that in order to save the game you must have all explorers and a fire token on the same terrain card.

You do not need a fire token to save the game, just all characters on the same tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
jparkerweb wrote:
jsciv wrote:

1) There will be cards that make use of a fire token if you have one built on the same terrain as your explorer, but the main use referenced in the rules is that in order to save the game you must have all explorers and a fire token on the same terrain card.

You do not need a fire token to save the game, just all characters on the same tile.

Whoops, messed that one up (though we did want to make a fire just before we saved for .... other reasons .... so I guess we didn't actually play poorly and waste a fire starter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.