Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicklas
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is hitting Essen Spiel '17.

Seems to be pure artwork remake and new meeples? Quote from Funforge, "This edition includes a new box artwork, new cards design, new player boards, a redesigned game board, new meeples, new panorama cards, etc.".

Even tough it doesn't vary much from the original version, I'm actually considering getting this as I'm a huge fan of Tokaido, and have a hard time saying no to beautiful artwork. modest
Really like the look of the new panorama cards. What do you guys think? Worth it, or not?

US Edition - http://store.funforge.fr/product/tokaido-us-edition-essen-pi...

French Edition - http://store.funforge.fr/product/tokaido-5th-anniversary-edi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Tokaido, I have the Samurai edition from the Kickstarter so I'd need to really sit down and review the artwork differences, it would matter to me only if it was substantially clearer/cleaner design.

I wouldn't necessarily mind grabbing it for new art cards, but we'll see if it's made more widely available since I won't be going to Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if they'll update the deluxe version with the new artwork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
You don't really want to do that. . .
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from the pictures they have on the website - the only real major changes in artwork that I can see are to the panorama cards (which look incredible, btw). Other than that, the characters and board look about the same. Can't say that there is enough there to make me want to grab this one - I'm pretty happy with my deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are those specific meal cards new as well?

But yeah, beside some background changes to the cards and characters, the biggest difference seem to be the panorama cards, which they could have released as a 5th anniversary promo or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe they need to offer it as a separate add on purchase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Geordie Geek
United Kingdom
Chester-le-Street
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Panorama cards in the collectors edition are atrocious so I wonder if these will be any better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maria LoCastro
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is clearly a cash grab, and while I am sure everyone's sick of hearing the kickstarter backers whine, I'm going to whine some more. This is disgusting when they still have unfulfilled pledges from the campaign and auctioned off their remaining collector's edition copies on facebook. I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christofil Anciano
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the Deluxe version with the nice miniatures, so not sure what is special about this 5th anniversary addition. Based on the store page, all that's new is the artwork and larger cards. "New meeples" sounds like it won't be miniatures and be some form of wooden Meeple instead. If so, Deluxe plus upcoming Matsuri minis expansion is the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, don't care about the changes. I don't like the change of font (feels more futuristic than oriental), other changes to cards are largely cosmetic. Panoramas are just fine in standard Tokaido, what's here is just a bit different, is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurisu2fil wrote:
and larger cards.

they're not larger I believe. everything is the same size as original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christofil Anciano
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Khonnor wrote:
Kurisu2fil wrote:
and larger cards.

they're not larger I believe. everything is the same size as original.

Yeah, you're right. Just noted the footnote on the pictures. Well that solidifies me staying with the Deluxe version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Maria said above remains true. Many backers were affected by poor customer support and absent "community managers". The complaints were legit.

Tokaido is a great game from a bad company. I will never support any of their future products, including what will be offered at Essen 2017.

Seriously? A 5th anniversary edition is way too soon, so please don't feel obliged to drink the kool-aid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Hockman
United States
Norcross
Georgia
flag msg tools
Sure would be cool if those of us who purchased the upgrade kit could get a board that actually fits the minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I gotta be honest. I've been comparing the art as best I can considering just the few images they show us, and I like the original art better. While the main character art is pretty much the same, backgrounds and textures have been modified, and to me it's a step backwards from the original. Not that it's bad - they're still very nice cards - but why change them? This is possibly the most unnecessary change ever for card design.

This is especially true considering they already changed the cards once before for the collector's/deluxe editions. So including the 5th anniversary there are 3 different versions of the cards out there, which will just confuse people more, especially when factoring in the expansions.

I bought the standard edition last year for my girlfriend for Christmas, and this year I've already bought the deluxe edition for Christmas for the larger board mainly, and the figurines. I always open games to inspect them before Christmas to make sure nothing is damaged before I wrap them, and comparing the deluxe edition cards to the standard edition, it's a draw when it comes to "improvements". The borders were removed, so the art appears a bit bigger as it's enlarged somewhat, and the colors and art do appear a bit more saturated and crisp. I thought some of the background textures were a step backward though - a bit more basic, especially the bottoms of the cards, where the text is. Some of the cards appeared slightly flimsier too.

Now with these new cards, it's more complicated. I kinda like the bottom texture art of the 5th edition cards better than the deluxe edition, but I still think the original art is the best. If you look at the background art of the new cards, for the characters, etc., it's actually more simplistic and faded compared to the originals. The text isn't an improvement either - it's okay I guess - but what was wrong with the original text? Instead of this pointless 5th anniversary edition, why not release another expansion, or release the cards with updated artwork separately? Or make the deluxe edition board available separately? I was very annoyed that the only way to get the larger board was to buy the deluxe edition. Otherwise I would have just gone for the accessory pack. The accessory pack is mostly worthless, as it comes with the minis but they won't fit on the original board without feeling crowded.

I wonder now if they will be updating the artwork for the expansions too. There are too many version of the artwork already. It's just confusing to those who are new to the game and don't know what to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I also think the "old vs new" comparisons of the cards in their promo images border on misleading. They imply the newer cards are bigger, and only in the fine print at the bottom does it disclose they are the same size.

I did notice this from another article:

"While the changes will be noticeable, they won’t stop past expansions from being compatible with the new edition – eventually, the expansions will be revamped themselves to fit with the refreshed look."

I've read they plan to re-release the expansion in 2018 with the new revised art. Where does the deluxe edition fit into all this? Will there be a new revamped deluxe edition with the new artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mylastnerv wrote:
Sure would be cool if those of us who purchased the upgrade kit could get a board that actually fits the minis.

Yup, I ended up buying the deluxe edition as a gift for this Christmas because my girlfriend likes the standard edition and I thought the minis would be cool, but the accessory pack is mostly worthless without the larger board to play it on, so I had to buy the deluxe edition just to get the larger board to use the minis with. It's a disgusting move that the accessory pack didn't include the larger board that is required for the minis.

Somebody said it above and I agree - outstanding game, bad company. I'm still waiting for the supposed Matsuri minis that I pre-ordered months ago and was supposed to be out by now. This game has been handled poorly. The original edition, a collector's edition (with somewhat different art), a deluxe edition (same art as the collector's edition), and now a 5th anniversary edition (with another art redesign). Meanwhile, there's the accessory pack that's useless since it doesn't come with the large board, the 2 expansions that won't match the 5th anniversary editions, and the upcoming re-releases of both expansions next year with the newly-designed 5th anniversary art, to make us buy them again (they've already said they will be re-releasing the expansions with the new art in 2018).

There's also the "New Encounters", Eriku and Felcia cards which are stuck with the original art only, so if you have those, they won't match the deluxe edition or the new 5th anniversary edition. How about releasing those again as a bonus with the 5th anniversary edition, with the matching updated art, to at least give us an incentive to buy this new edition?

Very confusion and frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mb
Tokaido is like the Bladerunner and Terminator 2 of home video. How many re-releases of the same product do people need or really want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
If they're going to offer redesigned cards, I wish they would sell a mini-version with only the cards and character cards and not the board or other parts, for those who already have the game and would just like to add the newer cards for a slight visual change when playing. Instead you have to buy the whole game over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Bieri
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want that when in October you stated you don't like it?
Doesn't that imply you would rather NOT have the new art and therefore no reason "you have to buy the whole game over again"?

You said:
rilos wrote:

I gotta be honest. I've been comparing the art as best I can considering just the few images they show us, and I like the original art better. While the main character art is pretty much the same, backgrounds and textures have been modified, and to me it's a step backwards from the original. Not that it's bad - they're still very nice cards - but why change them? This is possibly the most unnecessary change ever for card design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I didn't say I didn't like the new art. Read the post you quoted again. I said I like the old art better as a preference. That doesn't mean there aren't aspects of the new art I do appreciate.

In fact I said in the post you quoted:

"Not that it's bad - they're still very nice cards"

In the other 5th Anniversary thread I said, "I also have mixed feelings on the new art. I like some aspects and I dislike some aspects."

I also said that's based on the few pictures they have posted. They may look better in person.

I wouldn't mind picking up a deck of the cards only, just to add a bit of variety. But I don't think the changes are valuable enough to buy the full game over again at full price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scratch W
msg tools
I'm confused myself. I have the standard / old retail version of Tokaido, lovely game, play it a lot, base game is more than enough for me at this point. Then I got the Accessory Pack with the unpainted minis, and I'm pretty disappointed that they crowd the board so badly.

I've been digging a bit, but I still can't get a conclusive answer to this, and maybe someone here can help:

Is there a commercially available version of Tokaido, or at least the game board, that's big enough to comfortably accommodate the miniatures from the accessory pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The collector's edition comes with a bigger board with spots for expansion cards as seen below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Yeah, but that doesn't help much since the collector's edition is out of print and extremely expensive.

The Deluxe edition is much more reasonable in price (though still pricey, around $75 when I bought it last year), and includes the same board. That was still available when I bought it last year but I'm not sure if it still is. There's no other way to get the larger board sadly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derren Phillips
United Kingdom
Droitwich Spa
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I don't like the change of font
Who on earth approved this? The original typeface was fantastic but the one used in the 5A edition is absolutely awful. I can only assume there were some licensing issues or something. If they weren't forced to make this change, then it was a very poor decision to do so (IMO, &c.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls