Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Santorini» Forums » General

Subject: Possible to use the god cards with the 2004 wooden edition of the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2004 abstract style is more to my taste -- but I understand from reviews that a lot of the additional appeal of the 2016 edition are the god cards.

Is it possible to use the god cards with the 2004 edition? i.e. the components are all the same mechanically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. And you can download a number of Gord!'s original good cards here at BGG in the file section of the original 2004 version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Just realized that the 2004 edition won't have a Golden Fleece piece. Is it normal to play with that expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least one of the gods depends on a player's two workers being distinguishable from one another (Selene can build with her female worker even when she didn't move), so that might not work with the old edition. And many of the Golden Fleece gods need other further components that you'd have to improvise. But most of the base game gods should be playable no matter what your set looks like.

Edited to add: I haven't played the variant with a Golden Fleece, so I don't know if you're missing anything, but that should be easy to improvise too, if you want to try it. (You could even use a building block on its edge or something similar.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
Thanks. Just realized that the 2004 edition won't have a Golden Fleece piece. Is it normal to play with that expansion?

Normal? I don't know. I don't use it often (Though I do like the more advanced god cards.) But the great thing about Santorini is how flexible it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
At least one of the gods depends on a player's two workers being distinguishable from one another (Selene can build with her female worker even when she didn't move), so that might not work with the old edition. And many of the Golden Fleece gods need other further components that you'd have to improvise. But most of the base game gods should be playable no matter what your set looks like.

Edited to add: I haven't played the variant with a Golden Fleece, so I don't know if you're missing anything, but that should be easy to improvise too, if you want to try it. (You could even use a building block on its edge or something similar.)

Ah thanks for the tip about the need to distinguish between workers for a few gods. Will keep that in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Golden Fleece expansion has several extra components that are useful for the powers there. It also convenient comes with two pairs of gendered workers, although they won't be the same colour if you want to play a power with 3 or 4 workers.

I've often taken the new cards and one of the old copies of Santorini with me for casual playing and playtesting. It takes less space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.