Popular Tags: [View All]
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played once, but the Produce action felt WAY overpowered. Basically made Espionage and Work both pointless. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely OP if players allow it to be. BUT it's effectiveness likely dependent on the other twist effect.

I've definitely been in games, where one or two action cards were pointless. I hate when it happens bc the game becomes dull; however there variation between each game is great bc of these dramatic changes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
It's definitely OP if players allow it to be. BUT it's effectiveness likely dependent on the other twist effect.

I've definitely been in games, where one or two action cards were pointless. I hate when it happens bc the game becomes dull; however there variation between each game is great bc of these dramatic changes

OK, help me out here, then. As soon as any single player has two inventions built (often very early in most games), why would you ever again choose Work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 inventions = same as work
3+ inventions = better than work [in terms of coins]

Some examples (though situational)

(1) Players shouldn't rush to start playing those cheap invention knowing the whole table benefits; I'd consider higher point cost or invest in an engine of agents (especially in Work/Produce)

(2) Both your neighbors are highly invested in you doing Produce (really Work as they get coins at the same time)...making neither option advantageous (consider Research)

(3) I recall a twist saying you can't play the same action twice in a row. I'm sure there might be a twist or 2 more that would make work slightly more desirable

(4) Probably the most common situation, orange inventions that favor Work. You can't get those little perks with Produce.

Don't get me wrong, Produce eventually will get better than Work (likely made that way) -- and a majority of time it will be more advantageous (esp when someone builds 3 inventions), but it definitely doesn't make it obsolete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
johnweldy wrote:
KingD21 wrote:

OK, help me out here, then. As soon as any single player has two inventions built (often very early in most games), why would you ever again choose Work?

There's no secret here. Obv. sometimes you might actually still pick Work, e.g. with SlimeCo. Normally you won't; you can get as much $ or more from Produce.

Obv. I think that's fine. The game gets distorted in all sorts of ways by the Twists. Sometimes you have a lot of $ and don't Work. The important thing is that the Twists give you things to think about, make you reconsider what you're doing. You want to make your $ with big Produces, but don't want other players to. You want to wait to Produce until it's worth a lot, but have to do things in the meantime, and don't want to wait so long that you can't win fast enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald,

I must apologize. When I wrote this I was under the (very wrong) assumption that actions 5-7 were to be usd in every game. When I read the rules in more detail today and played correctly, it was VERY enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.