Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

2017 Mint Tin Design Contest

Welcome to the third annual Mint Tin Design Contest. All contest information will be posted in this thread. This is a friendly contest so please have fun and help other designers with their games!

Contest Rules

Contest Dates

Official Start Date: 8/21/17
Submission Deadline: 11/21/17
Voting Closes: 12/5/17

Entry Requirements

1. There are no restrictions on theme, mechanics, components, or artwork.
2. Copyright rules shall be respected.
3. Entries must have reasonable proof that they will fit into a mint tin.
4. The tin may also be used as part of the design.

Mint tin dimensions:

Top lid outer (not lip): 2.36" (59.9mm) x 3.75"(95mm)
Tin bottom: 2.3" (58.75mm) x 3.7"(93.9mm)
Inner: 2.24" (56.9mm) x 3.6"(91.5mm)
Height bottom section: 0.83" (21.28mm)
Height top section: 0.36" (9.26mm)
Corner radius .55" (14mm)

Additional Rules

1. Team design work is allowed for this contest.
2. Designers may submit up to 2 games to the contest.
3. Games must be available as free PNPs during the contest.

Recommendation

Please try to contribute to at least 3 other designs by the time of the submission deadline. Examples of contribution include: playtesting other games, reviewing rulebooks, providing detailed feedback and feedback on graphical design and layout. If you have the time, please feel free to contribute to more than 3. Providing good feedback is an important aspect of this contest and helps other designers.

Submission Guidelines

1. Create a Work-in-Progress or WIP thread here.

2. Please include the following in the first post of your WIP thread:

Game Name
Designer
Overview (1-3 Sentences)
# of Players
Suggested Play Time
List of Components
Picture(s) - Proof of Concept
Link to Files (Rules & Components)

3. Post a link to your WIP thread here in the contest thread or send me a message so I can include it in the Entries list below.

4. By the Submission Deadline, all entry files must be marked as "Contest Ready". These files should not be modified during the duration of the voting period.

5. Include the current status of your game in the WIP Thread's title.

a. Idea Phase (Private Playtesting. Components not available for download yet.)
b. Components Ready (Public Playtesting. Printed Components are available. Game may be changed as a result of playtesting.)
c. Contest Ready (Game is complete and ready to be entered. The files cannot be changed in this status.)

Voting

All registered BGG members are encouraged to vote. 1st place votes receive 3 points, 2nd place votes receive 2 points, and 3rd place votes receive 1 point.

Prizes

All GeekGold tipped to the posts below will be applied to the appropriate prize categories and distributed to the top 3 entries in each category after the contest ends. I will contribute a total of 700 bag.

Categories

1. Best Overall Design
2. Most Innovative Mechanic
3. Best Theme
4. Best Artwork & Graphic Design
5. Best Written Rules
6. Guest Judge - Top 3 Designs

Links

2015 Mint Tin Design Contest
2016 Mint Tin Design Contest

Have fun and help others!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Results Are In!

Contest Entries

Brawlers by Martijn van der Lee
Entry Thread
# of Players: 1-2
Overview: A simple, short and fun game pitting hardy streetfighters against each other in a fight to the last men standing.

Going Further by Claudio Moratto
Entry Thread
# of Players: 1
Overview: Hurray, your company just got a lucrative job: build a road between two cities. But the computer managing the production line just went bananas and random building material comes out of the factory.
Do you give up? Well, partly. Forget about joining the two cities with a wonderful infrastructure, just try to use the material as it is ready and build as much as you can!

Fools and Prospectors by Joshua Blaylock
Entry Thread
Overview: A worker placement/set collection card game about mining gold during the American Gold Rush. Fools and Prospectors supports 1-2 players, age 8+, and plays in about 10-15 minutes. Put your miners to work in the gold mines. Get as much gold as possible, but watch out – make sure you aren’t wasting time collecting Fools Gold!

Sly by Iffix Y. Santaph
Entry Thread
Overview: Sly is a solitaire puzzle game with a 2 player variant, for ages 10+, which generally plays in about 20 minutes. In Sly, Jack Sly, the world’s greatest diamond thief, must navigate his way to the diamonds, keep himself out of prison, and ultimately make his escape without a trace.

EverSquad Incursion by Iffix Y. Santaph
Entry Thread
Overview: Old and new heroes join together to save the city of New Meepleton from a new sinister alien army. Created from 2 small decks, Action Cards are paired with hidden Peril Cards. Choose wisely to help your heroes conquer this new threat and save their city.

Minty's Bootiful Football Game by Alex Bardy
Entry Thread
# of Players: 2
Overview: The BIG Match in a TINY Tin! Using a unique take on the D100 system (2 x D10), this is a 2-player card and dice game recreating the flow and pace of a football/soccer match between two teams.

Mintecristo by Giampiero Randazzo
Entry Thread
Overview: Play to get the treasure!

Barbers! by Harshad Deshmukh
Entry Thread
Overview: In Barbers!, you and a partner face the Sunday rush as new barbers - giving customers all the cuts and shaves they need while preventing the pesky old barber of the neighbourhood from stealing customers from right under your nose!

To The South by Marek Kolcun
Entry Thread
# of Players: 2-5
Overview: Fall is ending and for wild geese it means the only thing - to go on a journey to the south, where they'll spend the winter. The path is quite challenging though and not every goose makes it. Which flock will survive? In To the South every player takes control over very own flock of a wild geese. By clever using the dice you try to manage your flock as well as make the journey harder for other flocks, so yours ends the best.

Spectrum Connection by Martin Worrall
Entry Thread
# of Players: 2-4
Overview: Spectrum Connection is an abstract, simultaneous action card game for 2-4 players.

Theory of Everything by Martin Worrall
Entry Thread
Overview: To win the Nobel Prize for Science you need Credits (VPs). To gain credits you need to complete your research before your rivals. Doing it all yourself is hard and you’ll have to collaborate and therefore share credits at some point, but who with? Don’t want to share the Credits? Then take a chance and swoop in to complete your opponent’s research when they struggle to find a collaborator. Keep an eye on your rival’s research for opportunities to muscle in and share their credits before another scientist beats you to it.

Treasure Tin by Robert Schatzman
Entry Thread
Overview: Dice rolling treasure hunting card game. To win, must get in and out of a ruin comprised of 9 chamber cards and 1 treasure card without your health hitting 0.

Chlamys by Giampiero Randazzo
Entry Thread
Overview: Chlamys is a small mermaid who has to retrieve her friend Ostrica from the maze of Shell City... but the crabs are on guard to prevent everyone from entering or exiting... will Chlamys succeed in his mission?

Aegean Civ by Mike Heim
Entry Thread
Overview: This is a dice-placement game inspired by Roll Through The Ages, Advanced Civilization, and Sharp Shooters! Up to four players have 6 turns (30-45 minutes) to build their City-State's military, civics, inventions, philosophies, and government to gain a cultural victory.

Tinmates by Simon Milburn, Ayden Lowther, Paul Berrow
Entry Thread
Overview: Become the 'Prison Boss' by controlling the Yard. Bribe the guards, train your gang of 'Tinmates', and attack other gangs to win the game.

Combat S.O.A.P. - A System of Operations for Assaulting Polygons by Tyson Gajewski
Entry Thread
# of Players: 2-6
Overview: S.O.A.P. at its' core is a deck building game where opponents attack each other's troops on a customizable hex based battlefield with their personal upgrade-able deck of arsenal cards. The basic game type of S.O.A.P. is akin to a straight up arena style death match where combatants fight to the last player left standing.

Exploding Dice by Felix Bernat Julian
Entry Thread
Overview: Exploding Dice is a puzzle dice game where players roll and slide dices in a grid. The goal is to score as much as possible the dices of your color.

Hanoi by Phil Tootill
Entry Thread
Overview: A 10 minute strategy game for 2 players. Based on Édouard Lucas’s puzzle, the Tower of Hanoi, players must compete to move a three piece tower into their opponent’s territory.

Farmintin' by Jesse Worsham
Entry Thread
Overview: Farmintin' is a 2 player game focusing on microbreweries that compete to grow their own barley and hops, brew their beer, and distribute it to the local watering holes. Mechanics will include set collection and simultaneous action selection.

Book Worms by Dustin Culbertson
Entry Thread
Overview: In Bookworms, players create paths of letters for their bookworms to travel down in order to make new words. Points are scored based on the length of the word made as well as the dominant color used in the word path. As words are made, bookworm pawns move along the word path so careful planning is needed to make sure that a new word can be formed from where you left off.

Galaxy Explorer - The Duel by Stefano Molinari
Entry Thread
Overview: This is a game I started to design few weeks ago when, after downloading Deep Space D-6 I thought how nice it would be to have a 2 player game inspired by it, after days of development and tests with my son now the game shows much more features the game mechanics changed and has evolved to a dice placement game where "decision making" plays a bigger role, collect Deuterium and use it to build Starships, Enhancements and Technology Advances. Your starships may perform Standard Attacks or launch risky Assaults.

Pocket Zomby by John Cross
Entry Thread
Overview: How long can you survive the zomby a-pocket-lypse? This is a pretty straight forward solo zomby shooter. Nothing fancy, just lots of dead zombys. Fair warning: I am not an artist of any sort nor a graphic designer or anything. The files will all be Word documents or converted PDF's thereof. Please be kind! I do like this game because there are several built-in options for difficulty levels.

Tour Guide by Mark Tuck
Entry Thread
Overview: Tour Guide is a light, tile laying game for 1 player. As a tour guide you must map out the city and your route through it, making sure to include all the locations of your Tour's itinerary.

Certain Stars by Brian Garthwaite
Entry Thread
Overview: Certain Stars is a light tile-placement and pattern-matching game for 1 or 2 players. While out camping, the kids want to learn the constellations, but you’ve forgotten your star guide. As the stars begin to twinkle, can you point out just enough bogus yet believable sky shapes to keep them entertained?

Shiver Me Tinbers by Tyler Brownwell
Entry Thread
Overview: Pirates didn't always blow up and steal things or even throw people overboard. Most of the time, they sat around drinking and complaining about how they "didn't get their fair share of the booty." But, what most people don't know is, they spent a great deal of time dueling each other in a boontastical game. This game, of course, was Shiver Me Tinbers. This game allows for two players to go head-to-head in controlling a fleet of four different types of ships to protect their islands and attack their opponent's islands. You will use a number of different actions to move, attack, acquire resources, and execute special supports to out maneuver the opposing pirate. The pirate to destroy three of their opponents islands first wins and is declared the pirate lord! Will you conquer your foe or shiver in your tinbers?

Beer by P A
Entry Thread
Overview: Beer is an euro style resource management and worker placement game where the players/brewmeisters are collecting and developing the necessary resources to make and sell beer.

MinTactic Battles by Predrag Stevanovic
Entry Thread
Overview: Two unlikely parties have crossed path at the old cemetery, which is rumored to be cursed. On the quest to find lost Book of Power (sounds familiar...), they will fight to the last man standing (yep, know this one) in desperate desire to gain knowledge and power to rule the world… (oh, come on).

3 Lands or King by Dade Zobbi
Entry Thread
Overview: Two Houses against each other, one kingdom to conquer!

Elvic by Tom Coldron
Entry Thread
Overview: Elvic is an area-control microgame in which players vie for control of five regions of a fantasy kingdom. Each round they receive a single card and a little information about what other players have and they must decide how to use their card while trying to conserve their precious supply of intrigue tokens and anticipating other player’s plans.

The Mint Julep Murder by Alex Cannon
Entry Thread
# of Players: 2-6
Overview: The crowded bar was eerily quiet as inspector Fox arrived at the scene. Death by cocktail: not your usual murder. With so many people there the whole department had been sent to take statements, and everyone wants to get to the best witnesses. The Mint Julep Murder is a deduction game for 2-6 players. You need to find the murderer among dozens of suspects. Players race to find witnesses that will help them narrow the field, but will they get in each other's way?

Blood by Ian Fisher
Entry Thread
Overview: A 2 player no board game to fit in a mint tin. An engaging chess like game of strategy. Incorporates hand management, tile laying and tile movement. Raises awareness about blood.

Battle of SalaMints by Matej Uduč
Entry Thread
Overview: Battle of SalaMints is a 2 player game that simulates naval battles of classical antiquity. The objective of the game is to sink or board the enemy capital ship.

Into the Mouth of Hell by Justen Brown
Entry Thread
Overview: Into the Mouth of Hell is a micro-wargame set during the Battle of Balaclava. Imperial Russian forces mean to disrupt the siege on Sevastapol from the combined forces of Britain and France. Personal grievances within British command led to the ill fated charge of the Light Brigade. While Balaclava was a strategic victory for Russia, it became a point of pride and valor for the English back home.

Smuggler's End by Núria Casellas
Entry Thread
Overview: Survive the dangers of the Sea of Monsters to smuggle precious goods into enemy ports and become the most infamous smuggler ever known!! The first smuggler to get to 12+1 points (26 for 4 players co-op) will win the game. Smuggler’s End is a competitive game for 2 and 4 players (it can also be played cooperatively in 2v2 mode).

Microbrew by Nigel Kennington and Sarah Kennington
Entry Thread
Overview: Microbrew is a medium-weight worker placement / puzzle game hybrid for two players.

Above the Horizon by Caroline Berg
Entry Thread
Overview: Flying over the fabled mountain range the Roof of the World, your plane suddenly went down. Luckily, you were on your way to have an expedition in the mountains and your supplies were not ruined in the crash. Unfortunately, you have no idea where you are, or how far it is to civilization. Your expedition has started earlier than expected!

Cryptographer by Nathaniel Pollak
Entry Thread
Overview: Cryptographer is a game of prediction and out thinking. Players take the role of a code breaker during war time trying to crack the opposing encrypted messages. The first to crack a code might just change the tide of war, but be warned, there is a false code amidst the truth. It would spell disaster if you were to crack the code and uncover lies.

Total Entries
Contest Ready Games: 37
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Overall Design Category.

I will contribute 200 GeekGold to this category.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Most Innovative Mechanic Category.

I will contribute 100 GeekGold to this category.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Theme Category.

• [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Artwork & Graphic Design Category.

• [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Best Written Rules Category.

• [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tip this post to contribute to the Guest Judge Category.

This year's Guest Judge is Justin Blaske.

• [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a helpful guide from TGC on card sizes. I believe biz, mini, and micro cards will fit.

Biz = 51 x 89 mm

Mini = 45 x 64 mm

Micro = 32 x 45 mm

Good luck all and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Worsham
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very excited for the third year of this contest and for my first time entering a game design contest! I love games that can fit inside mint tins and, thus, in my pocket.

My game is Farmintin'. It's about farming, fermenting, and fitting things into a mint tin! It's a 2 player game about micro-brewing with some simultaneous action selecting and set collecting.

I'm still working on preliminary game testing, but I hope to have some files up by this time next week.

Thank you to R4D6 for putting on the contest again this year!

Good luck to all the contestants! I'm looking forward to playing y'all's games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
I believe biz, mini, and micro cards will fit.

...and bridge size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I so hope to create something for this! I even have a super-tiny deck of playing cards that will fit in a mint tin. Now I just need to find the time - but as this runs through November, I'm thinking October will be a good month to set aside for working on a game for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quadrante wrote:
R4D6 wrote:
I believe biz, mini, and micro cards will fit.

...and bridge size.

Tin dimmensions:
" Inner: 2.24" (56.9mm) x 3.6"(91.5mm)"
Bridge: 2.25"= 57.15mm

Maybe if you have only few cards and store them slanted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Lidström Isegrim
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, well Yes you are right. You have to have a few slanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wendling
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would I be allowed to submit a game I began designing for another contest but didn't complete?

I have one game I made for the 9 card PnP contest but couldn't finish due to the limitations on components, so I'd like to rework the mechanics of the game to fit this contest, if that's allowed. A lot of the other contests require that you never made a WIP thread or anything before the contest start time, but I don't see anything about that here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Keene
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GusSquared wrote:
Would I be allowed to submit a game I began designing for another contest but didn't complete?

Yes - Designs that have been withdrawn from other contests are allowed to be entered to this one.

Also, designs from the 24h contest are allowed to be entered to encourage designers to continue working on their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
playtesthub.firebaseapp.com
badge
publicdomainicons.firebaseapp.com/icons
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I will give this contest a go this time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brophy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking to enter for the first time too!

Can anyone tell me roughly how many cards you could fit in a mint tin?

We don't seem to have altoids here in Ireland, at least in nonspecialist stores, so I'm kind of grasping at straws for component restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Worsham
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaddyB wrote:
Can anyone tell me roughly how many cards you could fit in a mint tin?

I know that certain games like Mint Tin Aliens have fit up to 64 cards in their tins at the mini size. But it all comes down to the gsm of your cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PaddyB wrote:

We don't seem to have altoids here in Ireland, at least in nonspecialist stores, so I'm kind of grasping at straws for component restrictions.

I had a similar problem for last year's contest, as I couldn't find any Altoids here in the UK.

I ended up ordering some unbranded tins from ebay: Empty Tin Altoids Size - very reasonably priced.

The lids are not embossed with branding, so you can easily stick your own label on, as demonstrated on my two entries:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Milburn
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Dranda Games
badge
Currently working on: Tinmates
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, I was thinking that mint tins are hard to come by in the UK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Brophy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, thanks for the advice! Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Mint Works the size we're going for? I'm considering entering a game that I previously entered in a 24-hour contest. I will have to work on the components sizes to make sure they fit well into the tin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna go ahead and enter Fools and Prospectors as Idea Phase. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric R
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djayshaggy wrote:
Is Mint Works the size we're going for? I'm considering entering a game that I previously entered in a 24-hour contest. I will have to work on the components sizes to make sure they fit well into the tin.

I would think so, yes - especially since Mint Works was initially developed for the 2015 Mint Tin Competition (see link in OP) and then moved to Kickstarter from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.