BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Contests

Subject: 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: BGG:PnP-Contests [+] [View All]
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
It brings me great heartache to be forced to withdraw my entry from this contest due to breaking the rules. I couldn't find a mint tin. shake (Deploying sarcasm detection units. robot Boop-beep-boop!)
All I found was this tiny tic-tac box.

Hey look, it has a game in it. Rules, components, cards, and everything. Huh. (I'll have to verify that there's no kitchen sink in there.) cool

[Link]

Major disclaimer: The fact that the game can fit in such a tiny box is absolutely no indication of its quality. The fact that good things have been known to historically come in small boxes has no bearing on this matter. Indeed, this may well be the exception to the rule. - Professor M, not in this particular EverSquad Game

Major Disclaimer? I must outrank him. Drop and give me twenty, and don't go cryin' to y'all's mama!-The General
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be following this contest with much attention !

One thing I haven't seen in the rules of the contest and I would like to suggest : that would be cool if designers were providing a cover for their mint tin game. I would love to have that and not need to devise ones of my own in order to identify the games my growing stack of tins contain. Last year, a few désigners did provide them. What do you think ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isra C.
Spain
Valdemoro, Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Shei and I (LlamaDice) had a lot of fun with the GenCan't contest, we're going to try be here!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Tootill
msg tools
designer
Here's my entry for the contest: Hanoi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenoit wrote:

One thing I haven't seen in the rules of the contest and I would like to suggest : that would be cool if designers were providing a cover for their mint tin game. I would love to have that and not need to devise ones of my own in order to identify the games my growing stack of tins contain. Last year, a few désigners did provide them. What do you think ?
I think this delves more onto the art side of things, and less on the design.

I don't want people turned away from the contest because they have to provide a cover they consider sub-par.

I see this contest more as a challenge to create a great game that fits inside the tin - not to also provide a label for the outside.

But that's just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anybody want's to get some extra tins without having a pile of Altoids laying around. You can buy them from Specialty Bottle Co, that's where I buy tins for my prototypes from.

http://www.specialtybottle.com/metal-tin-containers/hinged/t...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
Combat deck builder on customizable hex battlefield.
mbmbmbmbmb
jblaske wrote:
In case anybody want's to get some extra tins without having a pile of Altoids laying around. You can buy them from Specialty Bottle Co, that's where I buy tins for my prototypes from.

Thank you for this! Though they are cheaper per unit than most other places I've found the added cost of shipping can be a bit steep for a low quantity order. For example, when I checked to order 10 tins the shipping was nearly equal to the cost of the tins. I'm in St. Louis, MO and their site says that they can ship from Nashville, TN so the shipping seems to be the breaking point for me, even though they are relatively close. I am bookmarking the site though in case I build up an order big enough to warrant the shipping cost.

My current solution is Amazon, especially if you have a Prime membership. The cheapest set I found (both per unit cost and still available for the free Prime shipping) was this option. My order is scheduled to arrive today so I'll post to let everyone know if the size and specs align with an Altoids tin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
mbmbmbmbmb
TyGuy22 wrote:
jblaske wrote:

Thank you for this! Though they are cheaper per unit than most other places I've found the added cost of shipping can be a bit steep for a low quantity order. For example, when I checked to order 10 tins the shipping was nearly equal to the cost of the tins. I'm in St. Louis, MO and their site says that they can ship from Nashville, TN so the shipping seems to be the breaking point for me, even though they are relatively close. I am bookmarking the site though in case I build up an order big enough to warrant the shipping cost.

My current solution is Amazon, especially if you have a Prime membership. The cheapest set I found (both per unit cost and still available for the free Prime shipping) was this option. My order is scheduled to arrive today so I'll post to let everyone know if the size and specs align with an Altoids tin.
Both of these suggestions are slightly bigger than the required size. I guess if there's a tiny bit of space then you could say technically it would still fit? Also, the Amazon one is short, and that's my major tipping point here. I need all of that 0.83"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djayshaggy wrote:
TyGuy22 wrote:
jblaske wrote:

Both of these suggestions are slightly bigger than the required size. I guess if there's a tiny bit of space then you could say technically it would still fit? Also, the Amazon one is short, and that's my major tipping point here. I need all of that 0.83"
I'm hoping that the dimensions used on the Amazon item are rounded numbers so that it's easier to search for the item and give the buyer the generic rough dimensions instead of the precise specifications. I'll take and post pictures of an example from my order next to an Altoids tin to show any inconsistencies between the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
3. Entries must have reasonable proof that they will fit into a mint tin.
Why not just paper craft a box to spec? Loses the aesthetic, but fits the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TyGuy22 wrote:
jblaske wrote:

I came home for lunch to find my order waiting for me. The tins from Amazon are very nice. The quality of material and craftsmanship is excellent and each tin is individually wrapped to protect the exterior finish before being bulk packed into a single box.

Unfortunately the size is slightly off from the standard Altoids mint tin. As the pictures show, the Amazon tin is shorter in length and height and slightly wider front to back. The change in proportions is enough to alter how my game's components would fit, as shown in the examples. While the tins are not exactly the dimensions of an Altoids tin I am satisfied with the purchase and will happily be using these blank tins for handout promo playtest copies of S.O.A.P.

Specialty Bottle may indeed be the way to go for a closer exact size. I may have to double check the cost plus shipping versus buying bulk packs of Altoids from the local store to harvest tins for play test copies. My mason jar of "sacrificial mints" is beginning to overflow!

S.O.A.P. in Altoids tin:

S.O.A.P. in tin from Amazon:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ehh...close enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Falcon
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brenoit wrote:

Not sure it should be a requirement, but if some designers are looking for some free help (knowing that you get what you pay for), I'd be glad to create Altoids-like covers for your game. Just geekmail me with details.

Here are some from previous Mint Tin contest entries of mine:

It would be fun to create other similar looking covers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
For anyone in the UK still struggling to find some Mint Tins, I've found these guys really helpful, and in keeping with the idea of giving your game a snazzy title/logo, it has an open 'window' at the top, so you could slip a bit of paper or card in the top of your tin to ensure the name of your game is revealed inside the window.

That's what I intend to do just as soon as I'm satisfied that the cards for my game are going to fit in the tin properly!

Hope this link is helpful:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Altoid-Size-Tins-Hinged-Windo...

(Sorry, I don't seem to be able to get the Custom Link feature to work)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I shouldn't...

but I should...

but I REALLY shouldn't......

(I'll rinse out my Altoids tin just in case.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it, are games entered in previous contests allowed to be entered into this contest?

ALSO are there any resources or tutorials for fitting your rule books into such small spaces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
xhunterko wrote:
I take it, are games entered in previous contests allowed to be entered into this contest?

ALSO are there any resources or tutorials for fitting your rule books into such small spaces?

My version of this question is: can I re-theme and rework a game I entered in a different contest back in 2011?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I REAAALLLLY shouldn't, but anyways,

[WIP] Mint Condition (2017 Mint Tin Design Contest) Idea Phase

This may or may not actually become anything, but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
xhunterko wrote:

Designs that have been withdrawn from other contests are allowed to be entered into this contest.

Designs from the 24h contest are allowed to be entered to encourage designers to continue working on their games past the 24 hour window. Designs entered into other contests are ineligible.

A design that is re-themed and significantly or fundamentally changed is allowed. However, the goal here is to create new games specifically for this contest to help inspire new ideas and to work with a given set of constraints.

Hope this helps clarify. Thanks for the questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to make EverSquad: Incursion available with larger cards. They'll fill the tin now. (Still enjoyed seeing it all fit into a tic-tac container, but sometimes, a bit bigger is fine too. And, it may help those with fading eye-sight actually be able to see the game.) Both versions are available from my WIP Original Post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clemmons jr.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All righty, thanks for answering!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Worsham
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[WIP] Farmintin' - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - Contest Ready components have been uploaded and are ready to be played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
I am submitting my game Experimintal to the contest. It is in the idea phase.

Experimintal is a dice-chucking area control game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lewis
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'll toss my hat into the ring with Thief: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26793746#26793746
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giampiero randazzo
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings from Italy ... I try with this little idea ...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1840542/wip-chlamys-2017-mi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] |