14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Some Kickstarters have no exclusives now rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Maybe it is my imagination but it seems like more and more Kick-starters are not offering any exclusives. My reaction is that it is about time and if there were any they should always be made available later.

Mostly these are mostly frivolous things, I admit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Noticed less Kickstarters have exclusives now
Oiler1 wrote:
Maybe it is my imagination but it seems like more and more Kick-starters are not offering any exclusives. My reaction is that it is about time and if there were any they should always be made available later.

I think it's your imagination.

There really have never been that high a percentage with exclusives never to be seen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the OP. I think a lot of companies learned their lessons from others mistakes at this point. Though I've backed a few recently with exclusives, it's definitely more in line with 'promos' rather than exclusive full on expansions (though one recent one definitely had an exclusive expansion, it is hard to tell how big it is)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:

Do you have any numbers to accompany this view?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasty man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope there are less of them maybe there are a lot more people like me than I thought and they took notice. I'm the type of completionist that if I miss that kind of game on kickstarter I will never buy one retail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telemicus wrote:
I hope there are less of them maybe there are a lot more people like me than I thought and they took notice. I'm the type of completionist that if I miss that kind of game on kickstarter I will never buy one retail
I'm one of those crazy folks too. I also avoid any games where you can see the 'expansion stream' or 'promo stream' going on for ever: IIRC Colt Express and Orleans are games I've avoided for that very reason, and there are several others I forget now; anything by Mayfair is a risk this side of the Atlantic given their very weird habit of releasing promos only in the US in obscure ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you could update the title to have fewer grammatical errors?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Perhaps you could update the title to have fewer grammatical errors?
Ack: I gave him a pass on that, although it irks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
I just did a random look at some games I'm interested in and that don;t have any KS exclusives, maybe my selection sample is too small, but I am glad I don't have to be a completist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I just did a random look at some games I'm interested in and that don;t have any KS exclusives, maybe my selection sample is too small, but I am glad I don't have to be a completist.
You never have to. I've seen a fair share of kickstarter extras that don't add very much to the game. I've also seen some extras that actually make the game worse. Just because they make it doesn't mean you have to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I certainly hope so. One possibility is that a lot of bigger IP games are not being kickstarted. Big Trouble Little China, The Thing, Bob Ross, etc. That cuts out that #$%@^%-ery and might inspire kickstarted projects to let it go already.

Maybe.

Who knows. I hate that exclusives BS. It might be effective for big sales, but it appeals to the worst aspects of consumerism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the point of Kickstarters with no exclusives? They're rarely better priced than retail, and they keep your money for months before you receive the product. Why not just wait until the retail release happens?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stout
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I hate KS exclusives.

Why should I miss out on some piece of the game because I never saw it on KS?

I get a promo that might be hard to come by. But keeping it from people because it's a KS exclusive is plain dumb. I've even heard of companies destroying a product because it's a KS exclusive and they cant give it out anymore.

Final thought......I enjoy add on's, and promos. I dislike when they are too hard to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be devil's advocate devil ... I pretty much ONLY will back on KS if it HAS exclusives.

I guess part of it is like everyone is saying, they don't want to miss out, for example I didn't find out about Arcadia Quest until after, and backed Inferno before I even played the game because I didn't want to miss out.

But the main part for me is the value. Take the CMON games for example. I think Arcadia Quest Inferno had something like 27 Heroes that were KSE. If you do the math (A single hero goes for say $14), that's $378 in value just right there.

I've seen games that looked interesting but offered really no incentive to back so the thought process is, I'll just get when it goes to retail.

With that said, all of the projects I've backed are from the big companies, so it's not like my pledge is going to affect the game actually being made.

It's a double edged sword, having KSE's will surely get more people to pony up and back in fear of missing out, but will also piss some people off who never had a chance to back in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.