Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Merlin» Forums » Crowdfunding

Subject: Kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
In a video by Bower's Game Corner, where he interviews someone regarding this game, it is mentioned that the game will be available both at Essen and also on Kickstarter.

I'm a bit confused how the game could both be in production in time to Europe's biggest convention, but also going to kickstarter to raise funding to get it produced.

Does a Feld/Rienick game really need to go to kickstarter?

If the game is hitting kickstarter, can anyone shed any light as to when the campaign might start? How long delivery time might be?

Also, what is Queen Games reputation regarding kickstarter?
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MAybe its coming to KS for usa and other countries and because the game most likly will be made in Germany they can make it for essen or it's being made as we speak.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
Also, what is Queen Games reputation regarding kickstarter?

Well, I don't know how anecdotal one might consider it, but I'm still waiting for my backer rewards and BGG prize from Queen's Dark Darker Darkest campaign.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

You eventually get your stuff from a Queen kickstarter, but it may not be until after retail release, so yes, they could potentially do both! laugh If backing a Queen KS, just back at the level you are comfortable at, then forget about it until it shows up on your door step. Communication tends to be at the bottom of their to-do list.
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moline
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my guess is that they are kickstarting the English edition.

Queen Games doesn't have a great reputation on Kickstarter, but I will say that I have backed many of their games and, typical Kickstarter delays aside, have never had any complaints.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
I'm a bit confused how the game could both be in production in time to Europe's biggest convention, but also going to kickstarter to raise funding to get it produced.
Queen uses KS as a pre-ordering system. Funding via KS will have no effect on the publishing plans.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Game seems language independent? Wonder if it'd just be better to import from Europe? Or order from my favorite online retailer who frequently gets all the imports quickly.

Not a fan of waiting from for my Felds ...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to Queen Games where they use Kickstarter as a pre-order system. No real reason to Kickstart it as it is already in production.

The last few Queen Games game on Kickstarter were lackluster to say the least. This one intrigues me but I can wait
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen KS campaign? I'll probably wait unless there's a really good deal. Queen has far too many of their games (good or not) heavily discounted at retail, often after what seems like a really short period of time.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can wait for it to release to retail, you'll save 20%-30% at least and may even get it before some Kickstarter backers.

Your mileage may vary.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas S
Sweden
Norrköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never, ever kickstart Queen games, ever!!
I kickstarted Dark, darker, darkest and what a train wreck:cry
The game was in retail for half the KS price before I got My game.
DDD then had terrible rules, warped boards, low quality minis and misprinted character boards.
The designer David Ausloos later e-mails me and wants me to give his game a better rating because he thinks his game is good cry
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you
badge
Avatar
mb
That doesn't sound like a good Kickstarter experience. I hope it was an exception.

If the Queenies (there is one at least and it sounds pretty cool) are only available via the Kickstarter, I will have a hard time passing it up and going the retail route.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
You can pay a lot less for the same thing (e.g. I got marshlands for $9 and I'm still not sure it was worth it) when Queen games prices are deep discounted on Amazon. This will happen right around the time backers are recieving it. Don't tell anyone.


EDIT: PS,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the queenies will be available on the geekstore.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
That doesn't sound like a good Kickstarter experience. I hope it was an exception.

If the Queenies (there is one at least and it sounds pretty cool) are only available via the Kickstarter, I will have a hard time passing it up and going the retail route.


What is queenie for this game? I have not read anything about it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you
badge
Avatar
mb
See this image and the comment linked here
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3626523/merlin?commentid=735...

The Queenie is pictured. It is a way of gaining special powers for use in the game. Oracle of Delphi companion cards and equipment cards come to mind. Looks cool!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
APK
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I couldn't help but notice you noticing me noticing you
badge
Avatar
mb
apkendrick wrote:
See this image and the comment linked here
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3626523/merlin?commentid=735...

The Queenie is pictured. It is a way of gaining special powers for use in the game. Oracle of Delphi companion cards and equipment cards come to mind. Looks cool!

Nope. This is wrong. It looks like it is actually an optional module that comes with the base game. Not a Queenie.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely think Queen puts the U.S. as a whole on the back burner. Between their over-priced kickstarters, the lack of communication when needing missing/ replacement parts for games, and the absolutely awful English voice overs for their promo videos (seriously...that lady might be a robot), I have a tough time supporting them. Even though it's Feld, I'm just going to wait until the inevitable price drop.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
attilathejund wrote:
I definitely think Queen puts the U.S. as a whole on the back burner. Between their over-priced kickstarters, the lack of communication when needing missing/ replacement parts for games, and the absolutely awful English voice overs for their promo videos (seriously...that lady might be a robot), I have a tough time supporting them. Even though it's Feld, I'm just going to wait until the inevitable price drop.

That "robot" is Nikki from GameNight.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1835448/nmbr-9-gamenight-se...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
apkendrick wrote:
See this image and the comment linked here
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3626523/merlin?commentid=735...

The Queenie is pictured. It is a way of gaining special powers for use in the game. Oracle of Delphi companion cards and equipment cards come to mind. Looks cool!

Nope. This is wrong. It looks like it is actually an optional module that comes with the base game. Not a Queenie.

Yeah I figured it was already part of the game so I was like what? Queenie? Where? Anyways, I sure hope some are included in the KS!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't work for Queen, but I do demo for them at some cons, and have worked with the US staff & met some of the German staff.

Take it as you like, but I can say that Queen recognizes that the last few Kickstarters did not go well, and from what I can tell are going to do everything they can to not have a repeat for Merlin & Pioneers.

The game will be available for sale at Essen. The Kickstarter will essentially by a pre-order for non-German markets. My guess is that Kickstarter backers should have this one in their hands by Essen and before it hits retail. That is of course not official, but that is my feeling on the subject.

Also, as for the one Queenie that is in the picture, that will basically be an advanced version expansion for the game. I would not be surprised if some other mini expansions come as stretch goals.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jestin Jund
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
attilathejund wrote:
I definitely think Queen puts the U.S. as a whole on the back burner. Between their over-priced kickstarters, the lack of communication when needing missing/ replacement parts for games, and the absolutely awful English voice overs for their promo videos (seriously...that lady might be a robot), I have a tough time supporting them. Even though it's Feld, I'm just going to wait until the inevitable price drop.

That "robot" is Nikki from GameNight.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1835448/nmbr-9-gamenight-se...

Oh man, really!? What! She has so much more personality on the show! Every time I see one of those Queen videos I wonder who on earth would have that little enthusiasm. Exhibit A:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/39605/tortuga/tortuga-sh...

Now that I hear it, I realize it is her
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Watcher
Australia
Skennars Head
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
The game will be available for sale at Essen. The Kickstarter will essentially by a pre-order for non-German markets. My guess is that Kickstarter backers should have this one in their hands by Essen and before it hits retail. That is of course not official, but that is my feeling on the subject.

So, this should be hitting Kickstarter like yesterday then, right?

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen KS campaigns are the worst. Don't back 'em. This will hit retail regardless.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas S
Sweden
Norrköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the games they published but I hate the Queen games attitude towards their customers. Like + hate= no future customeryuk
After DDD I do everything I can to inform my fellow gamers about QG yuk
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MitchLav wrote:
If you can wait for it to release to retail, you'll save 20%-30% at least and may even get it before some Kickstarter backers.

Your mileage may vary.

Agreed, I will personally never back another Queen Kickstarter. There is almost never any value there, and you will almost always get your game after it is already available to non-backers (and they probably paid less for it too).

After reading the rules for Merlin, I will definitely be purchasing, but I will wait for retail.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |