Subject: Difference in rules compared to Captain Sonar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Godolakis
Sweden
Göteborg
V.Götaland
flag msg tools
I support Wikileaks. I am anonymous.... I am an atheist...... I obey copyleft....... The Pirate Bay user.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to summarize the differences between Captain Sonar and Sonar for everybody that owns Captain Sonar but would like to play Sonar for whatever reason. I will put everything in a document when ready but it will be something like this:
It would be appreciated that anyone with the rules could take a look to see if I got everything correct?

-------------------

Captain Sonar: Sonar Variant

• Is only played in turns.
• Team that first inflicts 2 damage to opponent wins.
• No 1st Mate and Engineer.
• Radio Operator role stays the same.
• The Captain keeps the role of announcing directions and tracking them on the map. Each time the submarine moves, the energy gauge (has to be manually drawn on the captains board) fills with one unit of energy (max. 4 units). Instead of moving the submarine on his/her turn, the Captain can activate a system that consumes some energy;
- Sonar: 2 units. Enemy captain reveals EITHER x- or y-coordinate (not sector/quadrant anymore).
- Silence: 3 units. Move the submarine 1 (instead of up to 4) space without having to declare the direction out loud.
- Torpedo: 4 units. Can aim anywhere in the same quadrant. A direct hit inflicts 1 damage (instead of 2 and no indirect hits).
- No more Drones and Mines.
- Surfacing: 0 units. Give up your exact position (instead of sector and no longer three free moves by opponent).

Did I get all the rules correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On first read of what you typed up, it all looks correct to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be able to buy Captain Sonar if I can play this version with it. The only thing keeping me from the original is the 6-8 player count that is needed. I don't think I would only want this, so the ability to do both would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Godolakis
Sweden
Göteborg
V.Götaland
flag msg tools
I support Wikileaks. I am anonymous.... I am an atheist...... I obey copyleft....... The Pirate Bay user.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My uploaded file is now approved at the Captain Sonar file section:
Variant: Sonar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you also just play on a 2x2 section of the map instead of a 3x3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Godolakis
Sweden
Göteborg
V.Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mls5stokes wrote:
Do you also just play on a 2x2 section of the map instead of a 3x3?

Yes, In Sonar you only have 2x2 sector maps but I guess you could play with a 3x3 sector map with this variant if you want.
I can't see any big impact on the game if playing with a bigger map.

edit:
FYI: Captain Sonar have 2x2 sector maps on the reverse sides of the role boards. They are used when playing the turn variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick E
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played SONAR once and have yet to play Captain SONAR, but I don't think you'd want to play on a 3x3 map. I think the smaller maps are intended to keep play time down; SONAR didn't take us a long time, but it did take a lot longer than we both expected after I explained the rules to the person I played with. I could envision a 3x3 SONAR taking a very long time. Or I think the rules would have to be tweaked to find some middle ground between the two systems, because the changes to movement after a surfacing, movement during silence, the info you get from using SONAR, and only damaging on a direct hit were all created with the smaller maps in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Stiltner
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>The only thing keeping me from the original is the 6-8 player count that is needed.

Captain Sonar can play with 2 just fine if you stick to the turn-based rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry this may have already been answered, but can I seamlessly or effortlessly play CAPT Sonar with Sonar 2-4 player rules? Does the turn base rule of captain sonar effectively the same as sonar's?

I guess what I'm trying to ask... should I buy the more expensive game (captain) to give me flexibility to play either either large groups or smaller 2 player or if I have discretionary funds should I buy both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Godolakis
Sweden
Göteborg
V.Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greginfla wrote:
Sorry this may have already been answered, but can I seamlessly or effortlessly play CAPT Sonar with Sonar 2-4 player rules? Does the turn base rule of captain sonar effectively the same as sonar's?

I guess what I'm trying to ask... should I buy the more expensive game (captain) to give me flexibility to play either either large groups or smaller 2 player or if I have discretionary funds should I buy both?

Yes you can IMHO. I created this document for that particualr reason:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/151274/variant-sonar .
The only "effort" you need to do is to manually draw a energy gauge on the captain's board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sternberg
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made these sideboards for when you want to use the simplified Sonar rules with Captain Sonar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great! Have you submitted this to the files section?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sternberg
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that it's OK since the boards contains bits and bobs from the original Captain Sonar components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.