Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I've seen the rules and exactly how Ferengi trade agreements work, I'm not sure how I feel about them.

Since you can only enter a rival system if you are at peace, you need to convince someone to give you a trade agreement that will be balanced in your favor before you can start parking your ships in their systems to gain production. Since the Ferengi trade agreement involves work on the part of the recipient in order to benefit from it, I don't see why anyone would ever give them anything but the Level 1 trade agreement. Or maybe other players will try to starve the Ferengi.

I guess I'll see how it works, since I'm slated to play the Ferengi tomorrow in our first expansion game. But I fear my opponents will be very wary of trading with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the Ferengi fleets allows you to enter a rival's space without permission. And I think there may also be tech that will help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
One of the Ferengi fleets allows you to enter a rival's space without permission.

I can't believe I forgot about that, since I unboxed and sorted everything last night. Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Hahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dont forget, that they benefit more from the trade agreement the more you benefit from it.

they dont want to feed you, but at the same time they want to get something good out of the arrangement aswell, and the ferengi will always gain more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the players receiving the ferengi trade dont need to do anything, its the ferengi that must take time to bring in their ships.

the ferengi trade though has no upper limit, so if they occupy 5 planets, thats 5 production that your rival is receiving. thats mighty interesting for any faction. while i agree that giving them your level 1 trade is enough, the ferengi get 1+ all the extras from their tech synergies that work off the trade.

its really a question of balancing your needs vs balancing the threat they pose.
and you can bargain that the extra production the ferengi get is to be used to cancel another enemies military or espionage tech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I think as the Ferengi, making a deal with my first potential ally, I'd ask for the 3 production agreement up front. I've got to make some investments (both in actions and production) to get this engine working for our mutual benefit after all. Let me hold on to it for two turns, then you can downgrade me to the 1 production agreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Hahn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yes, ultimately the ferengi decides how much his rival is receiving from the agreement, while the potentially 3 players who can receive an agreement definetly want to get more than the other rivals.

this is extremely lopsided in the ferengi's favor. Since you can decide which rival gets the most of it, while still getting an enormous income regardless of who you trade with.

.. gee i wonder why *rubs hands in ferengi*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The really insidious thing about it is you're damned either way - if you take all that sweet production, you're helping the Ferengi win. If you don't, you'll get ground into paste by the other factions who did. And you can't even cancel it when you decide they're getting too much out of it - that just cuts off your end of the profit, since the bulk of theirs isn't coming from the trade agreement itself, but their starting tech card (which doesn't care if they have an active agreement with you). You have to actually blow up their ships in your space, which if they're smart they'll have made very hard to do by researching as many combat upgrades as possible. (I know if I'm playing Ferengi and the weapon/shield upgrade merchants show up, I'm dumping all my production for the turn on them when they come around to me. [Really that should be every faction's policy, but especially the Ferengi since they're the best-able to afford it.])

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my one game so far with the expansions as the Ferengi (see my game report), everyone made fun of the Federation for initially giving me his Three Production Trade Agreement. But he never complained about it, and only replaced it with his One after our Limited War!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think it's entirely reasonable for the Ferengi player to ask for a new trade partner's highest available trade agreement for the first round, so as to fund a fleet to send into their systems, with the understanding up front that the next round will see it reduced to the 1-production version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention Rule of Acquisition 17, which taken in tandem with the advancement that lets you build 3 ships for the price of 2 and your "traders" can spread through the stars like a virus.....one that feeds on Latinum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game last night, I had trade agreements with all three other players which were never broken.

They were getting tired of my insane amount of production, so in preparation for the inevitable beatdown I used the Ferengi Researcher to upgrade my shields twice, but then we noticed the Feds were two turns from victory, so attention turned to them. Nobody dared break their trade agreement with me and lose the production they needed to fight the war. The Klingons even invited me in to orbit more planets.

So I waited things out while they all invaded each others' homeworlds and won on the tiebreaker with 7 systems to 6 for the Cardassians, 5 for the Feds, and the poor Klingons destroyed Kronos trying to liberate it.

The Federation did try to beat me down on the last turn, but they turned away when they realized they needed 7's to hit my ships. Nobody noticed that I was orbiting two empty systems, so on the last turn (when I chose to go last), I just colonized them in addition to ascending, to win the tie breaker.

Good game. The Ferengi are tough, but I don't think they're broken (as one player suggested). It still comes down to how the players interact with each other. I'm the most conniving member of our group, so it's a natural fit for me. I doubt they'll let it happen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alec lynch
msg tools
cheng wrote:
Since you can only enter a rival system if you are at peace, you need to convince someone to give you a trade agreement that will be balanced in your favor before you can start parking your ships in their systems to gain production.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that only if they have a ship there? I imagine most skilled players do keep ships to block rivals from entering their space freely, but I've had a couple games where they left systems unguarded, giving me the option of flying right in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninja In the two expansion games I played so far, the Ferengi were granted unlimited access to the systems of their trading partners. This eventually broke down. The first time the Ferengi traded with two of three opponents almost the whole game (and won), the second time they betrayed one partner inside their space, and were then ejected with some difficulty after a war (and did not win).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I like it because it is not the same TI 3rd edition trade goods that all the other races have. I sort of want to juggle the trade up for the other factions.

Federation
Research
Production Research
Research Research

Klingons
Production
Production Production

Production Production Production

Romulans
Production
Research
Culture

Cardasian
Production
Production Production
Production
Research Culture

The Idea is for players to be stingy with their 3rd level trade only using it as a trump card. Federation doesn't believe too much in monetary value but do assist in technological pursuits. Klingons will gladly give ships to a potential rival as it means a more glorious battle in the long run. Romulans can be rather cynical in their trade but can make a good offer, if they see fit. The Cardasians for the most part don't have anything special but they do save a powerful negotiation tool they can offer to improve their position in the quadrant.

As for the Ferengi this makes for good marketing strategy, no longer just looking for the triple production though Klingon might apeare to be a preferred trading partner, however they could barter with the federation to get some early research but as projects are pumped out the value of research diminishes so there is now a dynamic market. Culture? What would Ferengi do with a culture token as they find out for each culture token they receive they save 5 latinum.

I need to photochop some alternative trade agreement cards but as for now I think the chart above can be a decent guide as to what is what.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.