Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Vladimir Suchy's games very much, and I also like Martin Wallace's games very much. I've been eyeing both Ships by Wallace and Shipyard by Suchy for a while now. Do you have thoughts on either of them? What are the pros/cons? The rating is .4 different -- what makes it so?

I'd also be interested if you can suggest another game that's thematically and mechanically similar.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipyard is great. You will find some people complain about the imbalance of the VPs on the goal cards. If you agree, that's easily houserulable.

I haven't played Ships, as it's based on Automobile, which I didn't care for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Lacer
United States
Cobalt
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I haven't played Ships, as it's based on Automobile, which I didn't care for.

Ships is only very superficially similar to Automobiles. The games really play nothing alike. Ships is an action point game with important elements of board spot claiming, multiple resources that can be used in different strategies, and a critical aspect of timing when to advance on two separate tracks - ship tech and world exploration.

I enjoyed Shipyard the two times I played it but wasn't bowled away and now barely remember anything about it. Ships impressed me a lot on my first play, enough to trade for a copy for my collection. Since then I have taught it to quite a few people, with about 75% of them really enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, these games are very different. Rahdo's done playthrough videos for both, so I'd recommend you watch the gameplay of both games and see if one game appeals to you more than the other.

Shipyard is very clever with a lot of different things going on all at once. I do have an issue with some of the goal cards being unbalanced but really like the game despite that fact.

I didn't really care for Ships (sorry Ron!) and wasn't that excited by it. I saw it on sale one time for $15 and passed on picking it up even at that price.

It's been in a number of sales/clearance events for super cheap actually. Here's a thread from the last time it popped up in the hot deals forum. (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740579/amazon-ships-24...)

As you can see in the discussion it had been on sale for anywhere from $10 up to the deal at that time of $24.99. Read into that what you will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Shipyard & enjoyed it the few times I've played. I have not even heard of Ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everybody!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.