Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Can units (Colonists and Warriors, specifically) in a transit network move to atolls and "rest" there, using the atolls as staging areas for a future move?

2) Can someone please explain the benefit of turning Transiting and Moving units face-down or up during the Movement step?

3) Can a player build improved agriculture on an island group that does not already have a village on it, but *is* in a player's transit network and/or has Colonists and Warriors on it?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hill
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's been a while since I played this so I might be wrong, but off the top of my head I think the answer to 1 is yes, as long as the atoll is revealed.

2 I'm not sure about, I remember the face up/down thing is an important subtelty, hopefully someone else will chime in.

3 No, you have to use a colonist to make a village first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Natus wrote:
1) Can units (Colonists and Warriors, specifically) in a transit network move to atolls and "rest" there, using the atolls as staging areas for a future move?

Yes, assuming no opponent is there already.

Natus wrote:

2) Can someone please explain the benefit of turning Transiting and Moving units face-down or up during the Movement step?

(EDIT: Here I assumed you meant to ask about Transport Canoes. See Kevin's reply below for other units.)

For later use (face up) or movement (face down) during next round's Transit step. Basically, you have to plan ahead what you will be doing next round.

Another thing to keep in mind is, you might want to break a Transport Chain connecting back to your Home to lose a few Victory Points at the end of the round, and control the Event Card draw or manipulate the Turn Order.

Natus wrote:

3) Can a player build improved agriculture on an island group that does not already have a village on it, but *is* in a player's transit network and/or has Colonists and Warriors on it?

No, because you have no "build points" to spend there. You can only spend your build points in the Island where they are produced, or on Islands connected to it which you already control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, guys! There is nothing wrong with them, but I'd like to emphasize some points.

Natus wrote:

You can even "rest" in the Open Ocean, if you'd like. But unlike on an Atoll, you'd need to have one canoe for each Warrior or Colonist.

Natus wrote:

Face-up or face-down only really matters for Transport Canoes. Face-up is for Transport Canoe Chains. Face-down is to hide from your opponents- they are like extra Rumor markers. (Face-down is also for breaking Chains, as described above.) They can only change facing during Movement, after Transits are complete. So you've got to plan ahead.

Natus wrote:

You can only build stuff where there is already a Village. So by definition, no. (This is why there are no Island Groups with just one brown box.)

Hope this helps!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.