Popular Tags: #Should_Have_Been_A_Geeklist [+] [View All]
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meuterer is an easy pick. Only released in German, and could use a genuine upgrade in the graphic design and released elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Meuterer is an easy pick. Only released in German, and could use a genuine upgrade in the graphic design and released elsewhere.

Same reasoning. Hab & Gut
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a shame that New Bedford & it's expansion New Bedford: Rising Tide isn't more popular.

This game is new to me and if you know it then you probably also know that it has a LOT of misprints and typographical errors, but I like it nonetheless.

It's a quirky little worker placement game that uses wood, brick & food (hard tack) as resources to build buildings. The main way you gain points is from returning whales you catch from the Atlantic Ocean back to your port then paying your sailors (the ley cost) to score victory points. It's 12 rounds long and uses a whale meeple to keep track of the rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
It's a shame that New Bedford & it's expansion New Bedford: Rising Tide isn't more popular.

This game is new to me and if you know it then you probably also know that it has a LOT of misprints and typographical errors, but I like it nonetheless.

It's a quirky little worker placement game that uses wood, brick & food (hard tack) as resources to build buildings. The main way you gain points is from returning whales you catch from the Atlantic Ocean back to your port then paying your sailors (the ley cost) to score victory points. It's 12 rounds long and uses a whale meeple to keep track of the rounds.

I agree, New Bedford is a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullwinkle and Rocky Role Playing Party Game. It has hand puppets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Diskwars. OOP now, but it's an excellent light wargame. Would have loved it to have more expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Cardboard Dad
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race! Formula 90

The advanced rules are thematic, realistic, and fun for racing fans, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned outside of its own forums.

The basic rules are modular, so you can add difficulty as slowly or quickly as you want.

Formula D, or Grand Prix, seem to get a lot of love for entry racing games, but my seven-year-old daughter has played Race! Formula 90 over a half-dozen times, even on 'intermediate' rules (i.e. a mix of basic and advanced). My mother, who once was hesitant to even try King of Tokyo, has played and enjoyed this underrated racing game.

It can be a little difficult to find, but Gotha Games are reprinting it (and releasing a third expansion) so that will not be the case in the near-ish future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Salem 1692 this game is so much fun. Its legit like..my favorite game I own. I always want to play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeland, I can't get enough of this game but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I love the unique take on the rondel, and the spatial planning of adding tiles around your windmill. I also love that you can play pretty cut-throat and mean if you like - totally doesn't fit the theme/feel of the game, and I enjoy that irony!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Linko!

This game has a good rating, but it doesn't seem to be played that much or suggested that much (except for by me). Gamers should be playing this game with their traditional card game playing family and friends. Do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Erhardt
United States
New Baltimore
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeland.....great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tireless advocate of Cribbage here. Have board, will travel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
badge
“Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.” ― George Iles
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game, probably due to its horrible name and theme. What surprised me was that it's great with all player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:
The Game, probably due to its horrible name and theme. What surprised me was that it's great with all player counts.

I am so glad I got a copy of the Textile reskin while it was available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indian Chief

A clever modern playing card game with the "pick a different category to score each round" thing from Yahtzee. Works from 2-8 palyers and good as a quick filler.

I don't really understand why abstracts like Kalah (aka Mancala*), Connect Four & Pentago aren't more popular among gamers. They all have reasonable depth despite their simple rules (and solved status). Obviously Connect Four is quite popular genrally and Mancala games are very popular globally.

* Though this refers to the family really. Calling it that is like calling you favourite card game "cards".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a shame that Wrath of Dragons isn't more popular. It is a fantastic and tense middle weight euro that really captures the feeling of being an epic Dragon ravaging the countryside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrapyardarmory wrote:
nadigames93 wrote:

I am so glad I got a copy of the Textile reskin while it was available...

Oh, that's nice. If that was available I might buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Call Me Grantos
Canada
Orangeville (near Toronto)
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, Boomtown is one I really enjoy. And agreed, the chips are terrible. I'm not sure why it's not more popular, but here's a guess or two:

- there are simply too many games out there to overwhelm players/gamers
- there are a lot of other western themed games, so maybe it gets lost in the pile
- while it has a well known designer, it may not have as popular a publisher (scratch that, just noticed it was Asmodee - maybe it was released alongside more popular games and just didn't catch on).

It IS ranked ~1300, which is actually pretty popular...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forestaurant is a very nice and tough co-op with cutesy art. I think it is from a Hungarian publisher and is unfortunately not easy to find without paying 16 EUR shipping fees. But it would really deserve to be known!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
Netslummer wrote:
Salem 1692 this game is so much fun. Its legit like..my favorite game I own. I always want to play this.

Did you back Tortuga 1667 by the same designer? I thought about adding Salem to the pledge, but didn't.
Yup! I backed Tortuga too! I'll back anything by this designer

I got the 2nd edition add-on as well because my copy of Salem is VERY well worn lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Kings of Air and Steam is the best pick up and deliver game that I've ever played. It's a shame TMG is rather horrible at marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
newtsmelt wrote:
What other games do you think should be more popular?

At least half of my collection. whistle

Some of note:

Guts of Glory
Shadow Throne
Sewer Pirats
Gem Rush
Frontier Stations
The Road to Canterbury
Nevermore

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Appleyard
Scotland
Livingston
West Lothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that most of the games by Ragnar Brothers are quite under-rated. Of course, like any company they have some hits and some misses but generally they don't seem to get the love that they deserve. I've been played and enjoying their most recent release - Niña & Pinta - recently which I've enjoyed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Martin Wallace's Field of Glory: The Card Game, because it's so deep for a small and relatively fast two-player card game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore (Second Edition) This game is fantastic. I just wish they would release the elves for it. I'm not sure why FFG stopped supporting it, obviously it didn't do as well as they hoped. It really is a solid game though and more people should try it.

Nothing Personal Great components!. If you like backstabbing and area control this fits the bill. Good job Mr Vasel. Again, not sure why this isn't more popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.