Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need a game reccomendation... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Rudolph
msg tools
So, I have a monthly board game group. We play a variety of games including: Munchkin, Catan, Ticket to Ride, Small World, etc. My 11 year old son is always begging to join us. He loves playing Munchkin, but sometimes needs a bit of help. He's learning. Either way, he's asked for board games for his birthday and he's well beyond parcheesi. Any suggestions for games for kids his age? Are the games like Munchkin Quest or Loot Letter any good?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abigail Davenport
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Catan and Ticket to Ride with my 11-year-old cousins all the time. Catan is their favorite. Have you tried those games with him? What part of Munchkin does he struggle with? If he likes Parcheesi but wants something more, maybe he would like Jamaica? It's a racing game like Parcheesi, but with pirate combat instead of abstract blocking. Pretty much all dice based.

My cousins also play a lot of Risk, but I don't usually play that with them because it bores me. But your son may enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 7yr old and a 14 yr old. I'm going to go lower to be safe. My 7 yr old plays Tokaido, Takenoko, Avenue, Karuba, Jamaica, any Co-op, Cottage Garden, Kingdomino, Legendary Marvel, Quadropolis, Santorini, and Sushi Go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
May I suggest Sentinels of the Multiverse really good co-op, my kids and I enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot Letter isn't bad. It's just a re-themed version of Love Letter, basically.

You could also opt for Smash Up: Munchkin or Munchkin Panic if you want to keep with the Munchkin theme in a different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think King of Tokyo or Survive: Escape from Atlantis! are worth looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drudo wrote:
Any suggestions for games for kids his age?

What are his interests (i.e., movie/TV subjects; school subjects; hobbies/toys . . . )?

How long a game is he willing to tolerate (30 min? 90 min?)

Is it preferred that the game also have solitaire rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder, Imhotep, Forbidden Island/Forbidden Desert/Pandemic.

Have played the first 3 with younger kids (8yo), but they don't quite get the strategies involved. All would be great with an older kid.

I've also found Memoir '44 very successful with kids. We play teams but let the kids (6/8yo) pick which cards to play and help on strategy, and of course they always roll the dice. I think an 11yo would pick this game up quickly and really enjoy it, if you're OK with war games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Delve or Clank!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian
Australia
North Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sjol
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My nephews love Castle Panic. It is a good co-op for younger ones (Isaac is 6) and has orcs, trolls, knights...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Stewart
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My kids have really enjoyed Loot Letter.

With that said, I just went and asked my 11 year old what his 3 favorite games were. Keep in mind that this may change on any given day, but he said Santorini, Raptor and Dungeon of Fortune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary o
United States
Roseville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a copy of Warhammer when I was 11. I thought it was pretty awesome.

You might want to try Hero Realms or Dominion. If you want to introduce him to wargames, Warhammer: Diskwars would be an excellent (and affordable) place to start—it's quick and the rules are relatively simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 11 too and here is a short list (really short) of games he loves to play:

Eclipse (he TOTALLY fell for this, it's his No. 1+)
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) (he loves to play it with all of the expansions)
Zombicide
Forbidden Stars
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) (plus expansiosn)
Star Wars: Imperial Assault (even better because he also is a Star Wars Fan)
Star Wars: Rebellion
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

also Eldritch Horror, Alien Frontiers and the Dungeon & Dragons Boardgames (Drizzt / Wrath of A. / Ravenloft / Temple of E. E.)

Boys this age are great and given a little patients can be tunred into real gamers real fast.

And then you find out that they beat you in your fav. game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here are the 11-year-old hits from our house. A lot of the recommendations in this thread can absolutely be played by an 11-year-old (or younger) but I've found that while kids that age will play most of the "gamer" games the ones they really enjoy still have a strong element of chance, dexterity, or yelling.

Tessen (A Speed variant. We're about to buy a new copy because the old one is wearing out.)
Kingdomino
Adventure Time Love Letter
Tsuro of the Seas
Fluxx (All of them. Every single one. All the time.)
Agent Hunter or Mr. Jack Pocket (quick deduction games)
Blokus or Qwirkle (for the mathy kids)
Codenames
Dixit (Any of them - you can actually play with just an expansion and keep score on paper. These are nice for gifts if your kid likes art.)
Eleminis or Dweebies
King of Tokyo/King of New York
Basically anything by Gamewright that's not clearly for babies.
Fastrack
Forbidden Desert or Forbidden Island (These make good gifts because the presentation is amazing and they have "toys" in them.)
Hanabi
Sky Tango or Rack-O
Sequence (especially Sequence Dogs or Sequence Cats if you have an animal lover)
Any Risk set, especially one like Risk 2210 A.D. with miniature soldiers. Know that the actual game will never get played but the map and pieces will get a lot of love.
JunKing is not a great game but has charming art that's gotten it lots of love. Same with Kodama: The Tree Spirits. I'll only play these grudgingly but I do like the art and I can see why the kids like the games.
Terror in Meeple City

Of the more gamey games, these have gone over well, but will always come in second to the list above.

Animals on Board
Splendor
Bohnanza
Patchwork
Tokaido (we call it "the going on vacation game")
Potion Explosion

I haven't played Loony Quest but I've heard good things about it from people with kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In your situation, my top 3 would be:

Takenoko
King of Tokyo
Tokaido

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.