Subject: Will you accept suggestions for gameplay? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craft Wood
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
I have not played this game as a child but the little I have seen of this game makes me think it would be something my family would love to play.

I was wondering as a gameplay suggestion about when and how the fireballs are released.

Could tokens be drawn out of a bag at the end of each or every second round
with either a location on the island on one side showing where they will start rolling or a token showing them landing in the sea and not affecting the players. Then once the tokens have been used up the sea tokens are not put back into the bag resulting in an increased chance of the fireballs landing on the island. This adds to the race type feel where the frequency of the fireballs will increase towards the end of the game.

No doubt you have thought up a lot of ideas for the game play, I just thought I would add a suggestion.

Can't wait for the kickstarter to start.
Damien Wood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there! I'm JR, one of the designers at Restoration, and I'd love to hear your ideas. I'll subscribe here, and you can always email us through the website at www.restorationgames.com

Look forward to hearing from you!

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craft Wood
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Thank you for replying so quickly.
The idea I mentioned before is all I have at the moment but I will keep thinking.
Thank you for your willingness to listen to ideas from others.

Kind regards,
Damien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original version and it remains *the* best party-like game. Always descends into hilarity.

Have you given any consideration to the proposed expansions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gGLkbnGExA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gator! We've definitely looked at some of the amazing things fans of the game have done over the years - I can't say what we're doing specifically (yet!) but I think you'll be happy with the result
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craft Wood
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Hello JR,
Some more ideas.
What if before you leave the island you have to find the parts for the boat.
These are found around the island at areas with a shipping crate picture along with other items you may need to complete your adventure, eg ropes to hold you when the bridge collapses, flashlight to allow you to move faster through the caves( without the flashlight you end your turn in the cave)

What if there were another two vehicles by which you could leave the island each requiring different combinations of spare parts, thinking submarine and helicopter.These would be in different parts of the island.

Also each player has a separate board which allows them to only carry 3 items at any one time. The crystal takes up two spaces on the board.Have to decide which objects to keep.

Thank you for considering these ideas.
Damien
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craft Wood
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Hello JR, Me again
I was thinking that just as the player gets to the escape vehicle they have to flip over a card that tells them if the vehicle is operational or if parts are missing.

if parts are missing then those parts must be found before the players can use it to escape.
each different escape vehicle has a card flipped over to show if it is operational, so two out of the three maybe operational so this creates a race to get to the operational vehicles or to collect the parts for the broken escape vehicle.

Please tell me to stop if what I am saying is too much or not helpful.

Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the enthusiasm here. Thanks to everyone for sharing. It might be helpful if we mention what we're planning on doing with the "plot". Roughly, after someone stole the gem, Vul-Kar grew very angry, rent the island asunder, and unleashed a host of terrors upon the island. Now, some 30 years later, the island was purchased by a company, who has decided to build a beautiful resort. And you all are the lucky winners to be the first on the island. What's that? You're worried about snakes in Viper Pass? No need to worry. We have top people working on it and should have everything ironed before your stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craft Wood
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
Very intriguing....

Thank you for the run down of the plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gatorskin wrote:
Have you given any consideration to the proposed expansions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gGLkbnGExA

I really like the idea of having smaller island board pieces that you can mix and match with the main board. What would be cool for this game is if the main board actually consisted of smaller pieces like that, and they can be "revealed" as you travel the island. Kind of like Betrayal at House on the Hill, but instead of individual tiles, you would reveal a new section of the island.

Having the main board chopped up into smaller pieces like that might help with packaging and shipping costs (assuming it's a 3D board), in that the game could be stored in a much smaller box than the original.

Also for the kickstarter you could have additional (but not essential) island board pieces as stretch goals or paid upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jarvis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
This style of game screams having a big open board with free traversal. Multiple paths make the fireball rolling at you that much more exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reilly
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The best of luck with this! I vaguely remember playing this, totally remember this game and the commercial growing up.

Suggestion, maybe make this cooperative (or have a co-op variant) where you have to put back the gem to end the curse. Thinking like the Plot in Moana.

if the players are tourists, it would make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
My main suggestion is just that I hope it will still be family weight and easy to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadMime wrote:
My main suggestion is just that I hope it will still be family weight and easy to get to the table.

For sure. We strive for games that are approachable and quick to learn but offer some hidden depth of play for advanced gamers and repeat plays. That's a hard needle to thread, but with Rob and JR at the helm, we think we've hit the mark so far and are confident we can do it again with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinDJacobson wrote:
TheMadMime wrote:

For sure. We strive for games that are approachable and quick to learn but offer some hidden depth of play for advanced gamers and repeat plays. That's a hard needle to thread, but with Rob and JR at the helm, we think we've hit the mark so far and are confident we can do it again with this one.

VROOM VROOM VROOM

#CliffsOfDownforce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
VROOM VROOM VROOM

#CliffsOfDownforce

Maybe a Fireball Island-themed Downforce track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eclipse Lunar
msg tools
Any chance for a co op version ? Never payed the original but the game sounds interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Jarvis
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Another suggestion would be more interaction with your opponents outside of just the fireball. Maybe stealing cards. Maybe something that lets you choose your opponents path; provided branching paths are a thing. On that note maybe a card that that sends fireballs down every path at once. Kinda a scorched earth card. That one would make the whole "Which way will it go?" mechanic you guys are thinking about really really exciting.

Course as neat as stuff like this would be the core should remain the fireball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Maesen
United States
Pacifica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe in the area where you can grab the token, there could be unique items to grab. First come, first served. The items could be there and you get to take what you want. Tokens or items that help you with your adventure.
Flashlight ( Navigate the caves with success)
Rope (Helps you cross the bridges without slowing down or falling)
Weapon ( Hit the opponent in-front of your pathway and send them to the smolder pit)
Octopus assist (Octopus can help pick you up out of the way of an imminent fireball hit.

Some ideas for possible stretch goals:
- Different sculpts for each hero. (Rising Sun is currently doing this)
- Alternate box art (Santorini did this too)
- Upgrade the idol sculpt
- Upgraded custom die for the game. (maybe the one pip on the die has a fun icon on it)
- Upgrade the card quality to linen, etc.
- Optional powers for each character?

Just a few ideas! What are yours?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
One idea I had for the Vul-Kar head... red light-up LED eyes would be neat.

Wouldn't have to be anything super fancy or intricate. Not sure how much they would affect the cost, but I've seen a lot of cheap dollar store type Halloween decorations that use small LED lights.

It could even use those little watch batteries like Christmas ornaments, so it won't be too heavy for the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We only have one stretch goal officially planned so far: If we hit $5m, I have to by JR Honeycutt a car with Fireball Island art on it.

Other than that, we're still open for suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
Another idea would be adding an atmospheric music and sound FX soundtrack for Fireball Island to the Restoration Games app.

Lord Of Raisins wrote:
Another suggestion would be more interaction with your opponents outside of just the fireball. Maybe stealing cards. Maybe something that lets you choose your opponents path; provided branching paths are a thing. On that note maybe a card that that sends fireballs down every path at once. Kinda a scorched earth card. That one would make the whole "Which way will it go?" mechanic you guys are thinking about really really exciting.

Course as neat as stuff like this would be the core should remain the fireball.

Oh yeah, I definitely want the game to retain the "take that" aspect for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Ray
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, and... plastic adventurer miniatures that can actually hold the jewels and can get knocked over when the marbles come down.

No meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheMadMime wrote:
Oh, and... plastic adventurer miniatures that can actually hold the jewels and can get knocked over when the marbles come down.

No meeples.

Can't talk more about the minis yet, but no worries there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I had little interest in this upcoming project but with having 2, 4 and 6 year olds I'm coming around. I've watched a few play through videos and I am now totally onboard!

On one video the fireball 'dispenser' was triggered while it was misaligned which lead to a second fireball being released further down the line, almost like a domino effect. I wonder if such an effect could be designed into the game? What if the tracks that the fireballs follow were of varying widths and the marbles of varying sizes allowing for the possibility that a fireball could get jammed up or would be diverted sparring some players in some circumstances? I really like the idea of expansions that allow for modular customization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.