Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At first I thought that was a typo in the game description, but it's an actual thing in this game. I'm officially curious...

Would Stan, Kirk or anyone else from the development or publishing team care to elaborate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Dennison
United States
Dane
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Hi Jason,

Thanks for asking. I added back in the quotation marks around "auction programming" in the game description so it is clear the phrase is not a typo.

Auction programming is a term we coined to describe the central mechanic of Rurik, since no other common game mechanics seemed to describe what Rurik does properly. In auction programming, players bid with tokens of various values on different actions that are part of a central planning board. Each action has several tiers of benefits and players compete to either place higher on actions for greater benefits while resolving the action later in the turn sequence or place lower on actions for lesser benefit while resolving the action earlier in the turn sequence.

Players can place their tokens in any order but resolve them in turn order, one at a time, from lowest to highest. So all players resolve token 1, then token 2, etc.

This planning mechanic creates a really cool build up as the round progresses. You need to sequence the order of your actions to achieve optimal outcomes - maybe muster first, build second, move third, etc - but resolving actions in your ideal order may inhibit your ability to gain enough benefit from those actions since you are getting less from each when resolving earlier. You can pay gold to increase the value of your tokens for determining which players finish higher on an action while still resolving the token in turn order with its printed value. As the game progresses you can unlock additional tokens, known as influence tokens in Rurik.

If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer! I've uploaded some pictures that will hopefully be approved soon so I can point out what this looks like in Rurik.

Cheers,
Kirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ooh, this mechanic sounds REALLY interesting. I'm glad that this project is moving on and that the Origin demos seemed to be very well received!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Dennison
United States
Dane
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
runcibleman wrote:
Ooh, this mechanic sounds REALLY interesting. I'm glad that this project is moving on and that the Origin demos seemed to be very well received!

Thanks János. Yes - players have really seemed to enjoy the game! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Kirk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste Ze
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting mechanic, but it sounds like a pain to implement it in a 1 player mode.
Would you explain how you did that, or does the 1p game lose this auction programming (that would be too bad)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Dennison
United States
Dane
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Ze74 wrote:
Interesting mechanic, but it sounds like a pain to implement it in a 1 player mode.
Would you explain how you did that, or does the 1p game lose this auction programming (that would be too bad)?

Great question. Solo mode does feature auction programming.

Your opponent in solo mode, Sviatopolk the Accursed, has a deck of cards that determine his bidding pattern according to one of three ambitions he changes between (Incite Rebellion, Establish Control, Gather Support). Each round your opponent will reveal his bids 1 action at a time after each of your bids. With a large stack of cards that each have the 3 ambitions on them (so 3 bidding patterns per card), it would be really hard to know what he will do next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirklandsigs wrote:
Ze74 wrote:

Great question. Solo mode does feature auction programming.

Your opponent in solo mode, Sviatopolk the Accursed, has a deck of cards that determine his bidding pattern according to one of three ambitions he changes between (Incite Rebellion, Establish Control, Gather Support). Each round your opponent will reveal his bids 1 action at a time after each of your bids. With a large stack of cards that each have the 3 ambitions on them (so 3 bidding patterns per card), it would be really hard to know what he will do next.

An Automa opponent that changes tactics is music to my ears!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste Ze
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

An Automa opponent that changes tactics is music to my ears!

This is going to be a very expensive July.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.