Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Meier
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question regarding LP's that I have been unable to locate in the rules.

Can the target of a LP change in the midst of a battle?

For instance, if two or more players are fighting the Flying Dutchman and Player 1 has 5 crew and Player 2 has 4 crew, the Flying Dutchman will target the player with 5 crew. Now say that he gets four hits on that player.. knocking him down to 3 crew. Does the Flying Dutchman continue to attack Player 1.. or does it change now that Player 2 has more crew?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Re:Mulitple Players facing LP's
Much as changing the number of sails changes who fires first as the battle progresses...changing the number of crew would change the LP target. So in your example, for the next volley, the LP fires at Player 2.

At least that is how I would play, but I can't find a specific rule reference to confirm it. But I would judge at the beginning of each combat round, the Flying Dutchman (as in your example) targets whoever has the largest crew which would be Player 2 in your example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:Mulitple Players facing LP's
Umpire (#29210),

Actually, the rulebook is woefully inadequate in properly conveying the author's intent in regards of who the LP targets.

From reading translations of the German rules and in corresponding with the designer himself I have come to understand that the LP's target *always* rotates between combat rounds - "Largest Crew" merely states who the first target will be.

In other words, if the LP targets "Largest Crew first" and player A had 5 and player B has 3, the LP will attack player A in round one of combat, switch to B in round two of combat, return to firing on A in the third round, etc.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.