David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
My question inspired by the poll in Theme - Preventing/Forcing Purchase in which about 2/3 of respondents answered "yes" to "Would you NOT buy a game ONLY because it was based on your LEAST favourite theme/world?". By presentation I mean things like theme, artwork, components, or anything else not directly related to gameplay.

For myself, I can't think of any. Abeizer Coppe provided two examples of games that handle their subject matter in a way that, for the want of a better word, seems obnoxious to me: Pimp: The Backhanding and Ghettopoly. I'm not counting these because, based on the description of these games, they don't sound like they had the potential to be interesting with any theme. If they did have good gameplay I think I would be able to enjoy them in spite of their theme but I would be embarassed to own them or suggest playing them.

So what about you? Are there any games you avoid that you would probably enjoy if only their presentation was different?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mandatory Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
Nürnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica for me, i cant buy a game that looks like that anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know I tend to avoid certain euro games because they stick to the generic "European colonization/trading" nonsense. I'm more interested in creativity and seeing interesting visuals. It's one of the reasons why Scythe, Yomi, and Evolution got my attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buckersuk wrote:
By presentation I mean things like theme, artwork, components, or anything else not directly related to gameplay.

Are there any games you avoid that you would probably enjoy if only their presentation was different?

There are lots of games I might enjoy but haven't bother looking at because I don't like the theme (anything horror themed for example) so I'll discount anything in that category.

There are games where I like the theme but not the artwork and might have bought the game if the artwork was different (Epic Card Game for instance. There's so many other interesting games with artwork I like so I'd get one of them instead.

There are games where the the components make the game more difficult to play - Pocket Battles: Macedonians vs. Persians (which I own). I don't find the symbols representing abilities at all intuitive and have a hard time remembering what they all mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamonds

The games sounds interesting but I'd have to use different cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aspects of "presentation" as you call it, that are no-gos for me:

-Anything Cthulu-related
-Zombie theme
These two are partly my own preferences and partly the result of who I play games with. My wife/regular gaming partner has no interest in such themes, so anything with these themes will never get played in my house.

-Poor quality/unappealing art
This is obviously highly subjective and I don't know that I could sum up well what constitutes ugly art to me. Examples include Sentinels of the Multiverse and Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre.

From an overall perspective, theme and appearance can make or break a game for me. If either of those doesn't click, I'll move on without looking further at it, even if it's very well reviewed.

If a game can pass those two gates, then I might investigate further if a summary of gameplay sounds interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Star Wars games. I'm just not that enthused by Star Wars- I don't dislike it, and I do watch the movies, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan by any means. Perhaps if FFG's various Star Wars titles had different themes I'd be more interested in them, but if it's Star Wars, I don't even bother to look at the mechanics. There are just so many other games there with themes I will LOVE, that choosing one where the theme is 'meh' for me just isn't something I'd do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Mandatory Castles of Burgundy

It's so ugly, and there are so many symbols you need to decipher when starting to play... Ugh-Lee!

This coming from a guy who thought that Race for the Galaxy "wasn't that bad".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Zipkin
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu themed games are a major deterrent for me- I just don't get the appeal.

Also generic artwork is another. See: Ethnos, Modern Art, etc.

Also, for some reason science fiction themed games tend to come across as generic by and large to me, which makes most games in the genre fall flat for me. See: Xenoshyft, Race for the Galaxy, etc.

And lastly, samey-looking Roman or Greek themed games are a dime a dozen it seems. See: Elysium, Colliseum, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's garishly-colored or super "cartoony" art, or anything that makes the game look like it's for kids.

This would include: Automania, Arcadia Quest, Cthulhu Realms, Glory to Rome (original edition), etc.

As my own obligatory aside, I love the old, antique look of Castles of Burgundy and other "drab" Euros like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything that uses "meeples."

Sheesh...zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need to remove The Castles of Burgundy from this competition. It is in a league on its own in terms of ugly presentation that doesn't do justice to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
For me, it's garishly-colored or super "cartoony" art, or anything that makes the game look like it's for kids.

This would include: Automania, Arcadia Quest, Cthulhu Realms, Glory to Rome (original edition), etc.

As my own obligatory aside, I love the old, antique look of Castles of Burgundy and other "drab" Euros like it.

I agree. I would also include the reprinted Colosseum and reprinted Catacombs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brunnstag wrote:
Most Star Wars games. I'm just not that enthused by Star Wars- I don't dislike it, and I do watch the movies, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan by any means. Perhaps if FFG's various Star Wars titles had different themes I'd be more interested in them, but if it's Star Wars, I don't even bother to look at the mechanics. There are just so many other games there with themes I will LOVE, that choosing one where the theme is 'meh' for me just isn't something I'd do.

You might be missing out. 30 minutes of X-Wing is vastly better than 2 hours of Jar Jar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
None. I play PnP and playtest with handwritten pieces of paper slapped on MtG cards.

Overly produced games would turn me off more easily, for being expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I couldn't be happier about the current trend in games to make something unique and beautiful instead of historical elves. Something like Herbaceous or Lotus are instant purchases for us. But here are the uglies:

Zombiegeddon - We love the game but it's ugly as sin.

Hansa - I've never actually played it and maybe it's amazing, but I always think of this game when I hear the question about presentation. We would never play this game because of how it looks.

Glory to Rome - I actually passed on this on clearance twice at different times because of how hideous it is. I've since played and loved Mottainai so we'll stick with that version, although I wish I had known about the black version of the Glory to Rome because that one has a totally reasonable presentation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Crosswayboy wrote:
Cthulhu themed games are a major deterrent for me- I just don't get the appeal.

Also generic artwork is another. See: Ethnos, Modern Art, etc.

Also, for some reason science fiction themed games tend to come across as generic by and large to me, which makes most games in the genre fall flat for me. See: Xenoshyft, Race for the Galaxy, etc.

And lastly, samey-looking Roman or Greek themed games are a dime a dozen it seems. See: Elysium, Colliseum, etc.
This used to be the case for me as well...and then I bought Eldritch Horror on a whim and then HAD to read all of HP Lovecraft and now I kinda like the Cthulhu themes..

Just funny how things changed like that for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanto Cuore, etc, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: What games are ruined for you by their presentation?
I would probably be willing to try Secret Hitler even if were so thinly modified as being "Secret Dictator" or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I would probably be willing to try Secret Hitler even if were so thinly modified as being "Secret Dictator" or something.

This. Sorry, I am just not going to buy a game -- even a light party game -- with AH's name in the title. I also am uncomfortable with the theme of Two Rooms and a Boom, even though it also is a light party game that I have played a couple of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
StlwllAngl wrote:
Tanto Cuore, etc, etc.

The whole collection's coming my way laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally I don't get all the hate on CoB production style. Occasionally the faded colors can be confused, but other than that it is perfectly functional, no other complaints at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quote:
Glory to Rome - I actually passed on this on clearance twice at different times because of how hideous it is. I've since played and loved Mottainai so we'll stick with that version, although I wish I had known about the black version of the Glory to Rome because that one has a totally reasonable presentation.

My story exactly. I finally got a copy of GtR (old art) when I found a good deal on one, because I loved Mottainai so much I was willing to forgive the graphic design of GtR and give the game a chance. Since then, I have loved playing GtR so much that I sold some less-played games in order to cobble together the funds to spring for a black box version.

Zero buyer's remorse. It's that good (for me.)

Just saying, if you love Mottainai, you may want to seriously consider looking past the art of Glory to Rome. I consider both games as essentials in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Razoupaf wrote:
StlwllAngl wrote:
Tanto Cuore, etc, etc.

The whole collection's coming my way laugh

I would totally sit down and game it up with you. Fantastic games, mechanically.

Then I'd pull out old art Glory to Rome and offer up a game. 🙂

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.