Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas Wyman
United States
Glen spey
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Gamers:

I am looking at which coin series to pick up. The question is which one is the best for two players?

Thank you,

Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mb
Colonial Twilight: The French-Algerian War, 1954-62 is strictly 2-player COIN...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
West Ward Hough
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I'm certainly not going to argue that this is the best fit, though I will add that I think Fire in the Lake plays extremely well with two players (NVA/VC vs. US/ARVN), though it does feel like a different game than with 4 players. It would be harder to recommend A Distant Plain or Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
westwardhough wrote:

With experienced players, I think A Distant Plain is phenomenal. Split the factions Coaltion/Taliban vs Government/Warlords and it proves quite fun. Again the caveat is you really have to know what's going on in the game for this recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Venser wrote:
westwardhough wrote:

With experienced players, I think A Distant Plain is phenomenal. Split the factions Coaltion/Taliban vs Government/Warlords and it proves quite fun. Again the caveat is you really have to know what's going on in the game for this recommendation.

Wait, Chris - you team up the factions that way? Coalition and Taliban are directly in competition for Support vs Opposition, and Government and Warlords are directly in competition for control vs non-control. That would be the *last* way I would team up the factions. I think Coalition & Warlords vs Govt & Taliban makes the most sense. I think that is also what Brian and Volko recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Wyman
United States
Glen spey
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all the games is going to be two players. Maybe %60 will be two players and the rest will be three or four players. How are the coin series with three players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat311 wrote:
Not all the games is going to be two players. Maybe %60 will be two players and the rest will be three or four players. How are the coin series with three players?

Pretty strong, because the non-player faction is controlled by an "AI" flowchart. I'd probably pick up Cuba Libre or A Distant Plain for an introduction to the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried Andean Abyss with 2 players; it fell kind of flat.

Colonial Twilight would be the best, dedicated, 2 player game. Fire in the Lake is awesome with two, especially if you use two bots rather than taking two factions each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Wyman
United States
Glen spey
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not need introduction to the series. Which one as the best AI flowchart? I am use to AI flowchart with Labyrinth The War on Terror. Are the Flowchart the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat311 wrote:
I do not need introduction to the series. Which one as the best AI flowchart? I am use to AI flowchart with Labyrinth The War on Terror. Are the Flowchart the same?

The AI is pretty different.

I, too, had played a lot of Labyrinth before tacking COIN. Andean Abyss, arguably the easiest of the series, was a huge step up in AI complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Combat311 wrote:

The AI is pretty different.

I, too, had played a lot of Labyrinth before tacking COIN. Andean Abyss, arguably the easiest of the series, was a huge step up in AI complexity.

I find the COIN AI bots generally obtuse and often difficult to master. I still often play all factions in solitaire. The lack of hidden information throughout the series makes it fairly practical and satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Bednarek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Colonial Twilight.....designed as a two player game, you can't go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.