Subject: Wording question, Export Duties vs. Galactic Demand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

I have a question about the wording of these two cards.

Export Duties, Ship: +$1 for each good you Trade this phase.

Galactic Demand, Ship: +$2 for each good you Trade this turn from a Novelty (cyan) world.

My question, is there any difference in the choice of words 'this turn' vs. 'this phase'? Does 'this turn' imply something different, like I can only do it once?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wording question, Export Duties vs. Galactic Demand +1
My understanding is that there is no difference in meaning, but it is a rare case where the developers didn't use consistent language, so it's possible that there is a distinction that I am missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
judo artist wrote:
is there any difference in the choice of words 'this turn' vs. 'this phase'?

In this case, no. We should have used consistent language here, so that this question doesn't arise. Sorry about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
judo artist wrote:
is there any difference in the choice of words 'this turn' vs. 'this phase'?

In this case, no. We should have used consistent language here, so that this question doesn't arise. Sorry about that.

Worse than that, "turn" isn't even defined anywhere in the rules. The only place the word appears is on page 12, where it says "there are no player turns".

This was just a plain mistake that managed to slip through the proofreading cracks. Galactic Demand (and JumpDrive Research) should say "phase", not "turn".

(I better go check the files we submitted for Rivalry to make sure this error doesn't happen again...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. James
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay thanks for letting me know, and thanks for the great game! My wife is an English teacher so of course she was all over this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.