BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Double Boat - A standard 52 deck card game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is just a little side project to keep my mind fresh. I made this while camping this weekend. Me and my brother sat down to brainstorm ideas for a game when I saw boats positioned as if they were racing. So I made four columns with four cards on the top and bottom separated by two card spaces. We were to place cards from our hand and attempt to get them to the other side. My brother loves to break rules so he placed two cards down with the same value and shouted "DOUBLE BOAT". The rest is history...

Theme
The world has flooded and only those who have managed to capture islands will remain rulers over this new age. In this post-apocalyptic strategy game, you will defend your island while also attacking your rival. Send your boats to wreak havoc or keep them docked to defend the shore. Stock up your hand and be prepared, this world is unpredictable!

Game Mechanisms
-2 player (possible expansion)
-20-30 minutes
-Strategic movement
-Hand management
-Playable with a standard 52 card deck
-Place cards down to keep boats afloat
-Hidden information

Graphics
*Unavailable* (may create a more thematic version down the road)

Progress
Its been tested a good bit. Needs minor polishing but it is a lot of fun.

I plan to make this an actual game in the future with tiles instead of cards. Also I will add a variety of different emergency support abilities for players to have different "play styles".

Rules
Double Boat Rules 1.4

Digitize and Play

*Unavailable* (Playable with a standard 52 card deck online!)
(may create a more thematic version down the road)

Print and Play
*Unavailable* (Use a standard 52 card deck!)
(may create a more thematic version down the road)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Hoddinott
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a bit different. Good on ya - and thanks for sharing it. Hope I get to play it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course! If you have any questions about the rules let me know. Its only three pages but I'll be spicing it up hopefully soon. I plan to make it with tiles instead of cards in the future with the a variety emergency support abilities to increase the replay-ability. Thanks for the interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Might be changing the disaster mechanic. It actually is TOO unpredictable and doesn't punish the player enough (what?). Instead you will reveal three cards from the top of your deck (It might just be two) and instead of an "X" number of cards affected it will just be one for each card type revealed. The following are the updated disasters.

Clubs = Discard one of your boats on a water space
Diamonds = Discard one of your boats on an island space
Heart = Discard one random card from your hand
Spades = Have one of your islands lose rank if able

Example: I attack an island and successfully destroy it. I then reveal two clubs and a diamond. I must then discard two of my boats on the water and one boat on an island space while also discarding the revealed cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Brownwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I might be changing a few things. Attacking islands is just too risky and too difficult. Two simple changes I will be testing:

1). Boats on islands can't lose rank to survive, thus, when they are attacked they are discarded.

This will do a couple of things. Attacking with lower cards will be more plausible and blocking with higher cards won't be seen as much. So the long tug of war for islands is reduced.

2). Placing a boat on an island with an enemy boat on the shore costs a full action.

Again, looking to reward players who get to the island and attack successfully. Too many times would players get all the way to the island and get blocked by a king. Now you will have a leg up if someone does this with lower cards as well.

Finally, disasters seem to create to much of a void. Players get blasted pretty bad sometimes. It just seems too punishing. Here are a couple of changes:

1). When you destroy an island reveal two cards and perform the disaster against you. If you draw disasters that don't affect anything, reveal one card at a time until one card does. Discard all revealed cards after to perform all necessary disasters.

This is nice because you don't get blasted but still lose cards through the discarding. Plus there is a minimum of one disaster and a maximum of two which is where we want it. If you are massively overpowering the other player, I want you to lose some stuff, but not too much. I kept finding that the board would be swiped and it wasn't interesting.

2). The first time you successfully attack an island, you will reveal it. If the value of the boat you attacked with is higher the island loses rank. If you don't, it is destroyed. If the value is lower both players draw a disaster.

Not sure about this one, but I want there to be pros and cons for sending a big boat to attack an island as well as attacking with smaller boats.

I'll be testing more tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.