Subject: Wander looks fantastic! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Reynolds
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I saw this at GenCon and the miniatures and components are beautiful! I did not get to demo the game because the table was always full - that can only be a good sign.

I will be watching this on Kickstarter with great interest. This could be the next big thing - these guys have CMON in their blood and I see some of that just in the way they are approaching this game, from design to promotion.

As with any big box game, it's going to have a $90 base set cost, including all the stretch goals. The one thing I hope they avoid are the "exclusives" - a worn thin strategy of CMON's (I know, it works!! And I love CMON but the exclusive thing is wearing thin).

The BearShark alone is enough to pull most people in, so I hope the game play and rule set (as well as rulebook) all provide a system that will allow for expansion and room for the game world to grow.

It was nice meeting a couple of the designers at GenCon and I hope their campaign is a strong one with much success because it appears these people have really put their heart and soul into their product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ferguson
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for this game. I actually sold a friend on it on the strength of the Tentacle Bunny alone.

Also, couldn't resist and bought all of their current minis while at their booth. They are so much fun to paint!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Phillips-Bradford
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
We are so glad people are excited about the game! I wish we had more demos available at Gen Con! We will have a gameplay video on the Kickstarter page that should help everyone see how the game plays. We do plan to have some exclusives in the Kickstarter but not a ton. Most of the exclusives will be for heroes that are not intended for retail and are "Thank you"s to industry friends and personalities that have helped us get this far.

We have put our blood, sweat, and tears and not to mention every penny we own into making this game. The response we have gotten this far has been absolutely amazing and we can't thank the gaming community enough for all the support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panda Cult Games wrote:
We are so glad people are excited about the game! I wish we had more demos available at Gen Con! We will have a gameplay video on the Kickstarter page that should help everyone see how the game plays. We do plan to have some exclusives in the Kickstarter but not a ton. Most of the exclusives will be for heroes that are not intended for retail and are "Thank you"s to industry friends and personalities that have helped us get this far.

We have put our blood, sweat, and tears and not to mention every penny we own into making this game. The response we have gotten this far has been absolutely amazing and we can't thank the gaming community enough for all the support.

Wander caught my attention as well and I'm eagerly awaiting the Kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neko Keki
msg tools
mbmb
I follow your mini painting artist, because her work is brilliant. It brought my attention to your game and so far it's one of my top two anticipated games. I am super excited to learn more! If nothing else, the minis are super fun. Personally I like having a few exclusives, so I'm excited to hear that. Only a few more days until the campaign starts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff tilden
United States
Belleville
Illinois
flag msg tools
I actually am on the opposite end as far as the exclusive debate. I like getting something special for investing my money and making a project come to life. Otherwise, I can just wait for retail at a cheaper price. So thank you for including some exclusives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jiggity wrote:
I actually am on the opposite end as far as the exclusive debate. I like getting something special for investing my money and making a project come to life. Otherwise, I can just wait for retail at a cheaper price. So thank you for including some exclusives

Me, too. Kickstarted is a risk and I enjoy being compensated for it. I love me some KSEs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Olds
United States
OREM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkAllanReynolds wrote:

As with any big box game, it's going to have a $90 base set cost, including all the stretch goals. The one thing I hope they avoid are the "exclusives" - a worn thin strategy of CMON's (I know, it works!! And I love CMON but the exclusive thing is wearing thin).

I've been watching a lot of kickstarters, and I'm not really convinced that adding lots of exclusives actually changes the funding of kickstarters.

Personally, I don't mind minor exclusives (alt sculpts or only a few exclusives with rules).

I do take issue when I can't recommend a game because the version I have is so significantly different from the one on market due to a plethora of game changing exclusives.

Also, there's a problem when the exclusive content is rushed or treated like they won't have a lasting impact on gameplay (this was a lot less of a problem when a game had one exclusive hero, but some games deliver with 2/3rds of their content exclusive, and half of it is broken overpowers, and another half is broken underpowered).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
After watching the video of how to play I'm not really sure there's anything new when it comes to mechanics. Sure, the minis and art is gorgeous and imaginative in its own family friendly way (?). But what about tactical decisions and new gameplay? No rules on positioning, movement doesn't seem very important, plenty of randomness with plenty of dice and spawning monsters. Of course this may be the intention and it's supposed to be lightweight. I do like the initiative track idea that reminds me of Mice and mystics but with a few extra tweaks. Apart from that I hoped it would offer more than the mentioned family game. The area movement does put it in the same corner as other lightweight games as Zombicide and Massive darkness. Is this correct? Anyone have more insight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how you can say movement isn't import when it affects line of sight, what hero gets targeted, opportunity attacks and more. And the game also has several rules on positioning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
According to the gameplay video all characters have 2 actions (+1 when level 2). Each action gets you to move one square. It seems all characters have the same movement, with the thief having a free dodge. Comparing to other games where it might differ a lot it seems to me as a factor not that important. Did I miss something?

What I mean with positioning is that there were no rules for attack from behind, moving past enemies or ganging up. They did mention support but Im not sure what that meant ruleswise. Of course, having areas instead of a grid does make it another kind of game. Again, there might be rules I'm not aware of.

There was a lot of 1 movement and attack. I really hope there's more to it after the intro quest. Is there any alpha rulebook to read?

Edit: Kiran the thief seems to have both sprint and dash that gives her +1 movement. If there's more of that at least there's difference in speed between characters. Now I just wanna see some quests with tiles that make you wanna move fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mosher
msg tools
mb
You had me at BEARSHARK...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game has me tempted, but I wonder if I need another Zombicide (which I love) and any kickstarter with even the slightest connection to Soda Pop Miniatures has me worried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Johnston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
celdom wrote:
Game has me tempted, but I wonder if I need another Zombicide (which I love) and any kickstarter with even the slightest connection to Soda Pop Miniatures has me worried.
While similarities can be drawn, Zombicide is another game entirely from Wander: The Cult of Barnacle Bay. The only thing they really share is the EXP tracker! (Which is a functional and nifty mechanic I might add!)Both are great games in their own right, but still, very different in the way enemies behave and feel. The Cult and Zombies feel very different from each other, and the Survivors and Wanderers are very, very far apart in my experience. Hopefully this helps you at all! If not, feel free to ask more!

As far as the SPM connection, it's slight, and almost nonexistent. The only thing shared is Cola, as a character. Ninja Division didn't have any harsh rules or requirements from Panda Cult Games to use Cola, and many of PCG have worked for Ninja Division in the past for painting, video editing, and art, nothing more, nothing less. So they're good friends, and it seemed like a good fit, so why not? Their involvement ends there though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Olin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to only back games with kickstarter exclusives, so please give us lots of fun exclusives! Without exclusives, you're basically paying more than retail (almost always, when shipping is included) for an untested game you won't even see for more than a year. Where's the logic in that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Johnston
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
snakespittle wrote:
I tend to only back games with kickstarter exclusives, so please give us lots of fun exclusives! Without exclusives, you're basically paying more than retail (almost always, when shipping is included) for an untested game you won't even see for more than a year. Where's the logic in that?

To invest in a product and company being made, mostly! As compared to buying it at retail, most of your money (once Kickstarter takes their share) goes to the developers and creators of the game, who are looking to do this full time.

We do have three Kickstarter exclusive heroes though. Gunnbjorn, King Ross, and Bebo the Warlock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Comeau
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is lookin* to be a beautiful game. I love that it is family friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.