1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Your unusual gateway game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just been reading about somebody asking about twilight imperium as a beginner game and wondered what unusual games people have used as a gateway into modern gaming.
My own personal game that got me back after a long absence was Eldritch Horror which I taught myself with the rulebook and videos, not a usual gateway game but I am sure people have started or returned with more complex games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't even know about boardgaming until somebody at the chess club introduced me to this new thing called Panzer Leader. Wow! Fun in a completely different way than chess was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I introduced a large group of staunch non-gamers to the hobby with Cosmic Encounter. I never thought it would work but they loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I usually use is Chicago Express without expansions.

1 - I love the game.
2 - It's a perfect information, complete game. I've had more success getting people to stick to the hobby when they can clearly see when and why they lost the game, and you explain how to avoid that same predicament in future games.
3 - There are only four actions you can do, all simple in their rules.
4 - It teaches people about shared incentives and betrayals.
5 - I'm hoping they love this kind of game to move onto other Winsome titles or 18xx games.

I've used other train games as well for similar reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was Agricola
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmb
I have used both Power Grid and Caylus as gateway games for people with great success.
The themes are "normal" enough for them not to be too rough on non-geeks and while somewhat deep the initial rules introduction is pretty simple.

There is also a huge difference between introducing young techie/geeky people to board games, compared to people of an older generation who has only ever played card or dice games. Some people handle complexity easy while others just want to spend some hours tossing dice and moving pieces. Picking the right gateway game is a lot more about understanding the new players than it is to pick specific "easy gateway" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my non-gamer neighbour to play Amerigo with us and she did really well.

She is now a full fledged gamer and has a nice little collection of her own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eclipse was my personal gateway game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it was Puerto Rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I didn't even know about boardgaming until somebody at the chess club introduced me to this new thing called Panzer Leader. Wow! Fun in a completely different way than chess was!

Quite similar pattern via Chess, but my entry was Gettysburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I first played Samurai at a Meetup, my first large, bg-ing get together, I played a 3 hour game of Diplomacy, followed by a 3 hour game of Perikles... both didn't finish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the real gateway was Space Alert.

I had gotten into Dominion a few years before that. But it didn't make me want to play other games-- it just made me want to play more Dominion! Many people tried to get me to enjoy their favorite game and failed.

Whereas I loved Space Alert but it also made me wonder what else I was missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After many years of playing Risk and MTG I was introduced to proper gaming via Catan and Puerto Rico (which still remains one of my favourite games).

With my Kids its been Carcassonne and Munchkin (Definitely not one of my favourites) followed by Catan and Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Avalon Hill's Civilization. A great game to play and more to teach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily a gateway game, but my first board game purchase after a lull of over 5 years, one that reminded me of why I prefer board games to video games, was Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

At this point I try to tailor games to what I know about the person, this way their engagement comes from their interests and not the cardboard and plastic in front of them.

Gateway is a stupid concept belittling the intelligence of the people you're playing with, and the fact that it alludes to drugs makes it distasteful.

If the person wants to learn a game, they'll invest the time and effort to learn the game, and it won't matter how complex it is.

/endrant

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

At this point I try to tailor games to what I know about the person, this way their engagement comes from their interests and not the cardboard and plastic in front of them.

Gateway is a stupid concept belittling the intelligence of the people you're playing with, and the fact that it alludes to drugs makes it distasteful.

If the person wants to learn a game, they'll invest the time and effort to learn the game, and it won't matter how complex it is.

/endrant

~V

To me, Gateway games are like coffee dates: Short to get to know the other person and see if it's worth going any further.

For example, I have "Deception" as a gateway game. However, if the person doesn't like the game after playing it because they don't find lying to be fun, all we did was spent 20 minutes on it as opposed to several hours of Dead of Winter or BSG.

Gateway games are good intro to variety of different mechanics that someone new to boardgaming might like within a reasonable timeframe. If they like a certain game because of the mechanics, then you can throw in something more meatier for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Veero wrote:

Drugs neither originated nor hold a Monopoly vis-a-vis "gateway".

Quote:
a means of achieving a state or condition

A gateway to geekdom, to appreciation of games, to willingness to diversify and disconnect some time, understanding of a novel social interaction.

Don't let your bias towards drugs influence your acceptance of simple, common terminology. Gateway is an acceptance that change and new experiences are often difficult, a common human trait hardly tied to intelligence any more than hair length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorath wrote:
I have just been reading about somebody asking about twilight imperium as a beginner game and wondered what unusual games people have used as a gateway into modern gaming.

Actually that was the game for me. I went to college with this guy who was on the playtest team for TI3 and asked if I wanted to sit in on a couple of sessions. I agreed and while I didn't enjoy THAT game, it opened the door to the broader world of games. Ended up becoming a hardcore eurogamer after I was taught Puerto Rico and El Grande soon afterward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:

/endrant

~V

I was using gateway as means by which people get back into or into modern games and at no point mentioned they had to be simple games, in fact just the opposite I am interested in who has tried and succeeded with the most complex or unusual gateway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Back on topic..

I used Viticulture and Scythe as "gateway" games before. These were against people who played computer games like Civilization or World of Warcraft, so "complex" rules were second nature to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Massey
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
Gotta Stay Positive!
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire. I played it for a hundred years since I was a kid and continued to play as an adult. It prepared me when I got back into the hobby after a long hiatus.

My re-introductions was Agricola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Again
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had success introducing friends to Discworld: Ankh-Morpork.

Worth noting that I'm the only Discworld fan of the friends I've played with and yet everyone has praised the experience. It's a game of balance (and occasional chaos), and has a balanced measure of features. Requires consideration of other players but in a light and exciting accusatory way (You MUST be the Dragon King. You MUST!) Fun puzzle every time. Just don't take it too seriously, as with most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
3+4MoreFun
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, and I had, and still have no interest in the TV series or any of it's associated paraphernalia. Make of that what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was first introduced to the hobby when a friend of mine picked up Dungeon Run for his own introduction to gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.