Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this LOTR LCG for a fair while now and it is my most played game. Lately i've been playing through the Heirs of Númenor & Against the Shadow cycle and im finding that each scenarios seems to be getting more and more complex as far as rules. Is it just this cycle that does this?

It seems that Khazad-dûm & Dwarrowdelf cycle didnt try and beat my brain into submission like this cycle does. Perhaps i need to skip the cycle and try another one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerio Vitelli
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mb
Alas, I have to tell you that the next cycle is the worst from that point of view, then the cycles after that are somewhat more manageable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
I'm not a fan of complex or fiddly scenarios either, so I feel your pain.

The good news is that the cycles as a whole don't become more complex or fiddly but some scenarios in them do. They do become a bit harder, but you'll have the player cards to deal with that.

HoN has a reputation as a punishing cycle - if its proving a pain, I'd set it aside and come back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Harad might be worth checking out. The scenarios are generally pretty straightforward from a rules point-of-view, from what I recall. I had a difficult time with The Black Serpent single-handed solo but that was mostly from the seemingly endless ways the encounter deck said 'thanks for playing, better luck next time'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wolframius wrote:
Alas, I have to tell you that the next cycle is the worst from that point of view, then the cycles after that are somewhat more manageable.

Ha I thought the same thing, just wait till the Ringmaker cycle! Especially the Antlered Crown where every location has time tokens ticking down and they all have their own triggers. In fact I think it's the Dunland Trap (but I could be mistaken) that in the insert it actually tells you to take your time and frequently check the board state because there's so much going on.

But the designers heard the complaints and it lightens up from there. There are still the occasional kooky quests like Temple of the Deceived but in general the number of triggers to watch out for lessens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burkett
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the posters above -- I'd say that the last cycle and a half have been fantastic in terms of doing new things with the scenarios and encounters, but without adding insane complexity. There are a few quests here and there that amp up the complexity, but it seems as if the designers are doing a better job of making things interesting and unique without leaning too heavily on complexity, remember loads of triggers, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, i might try going back and playing some Kazaddum then skip to another cycle afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.