Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Secret Map card, does it only double the number of treasure chests you receive, or all of the items on the treasure card, or some other combination? Given that it is a "map", I'm assuming it only doubles the treasure chests.

--Chris

PS. A note to Days of Wonder: if you get a chance to update the rulebook for the next printing, you might want to be a little more consistent in your wording:
- Use "treasure chests" each and every time you are talking about them; do not use terms like "treasure" and assume everyone knows you are talking about treasure chests. By using a different term some people might think you are talking about something else (e.g., gold + treasure chests = treasure).
- Define "booty" somewhere if you are going to continue using it on the Consort card. Is it everything on the treasure card or is it only one or some of the items (e.g., just gold, just treaure, or just gold & treasure)?
- Create a separate section of the rules for the Royal Navy and explain exactly how it is played. Grouping it in with the legedary pirates creates a whole host of problems because the Navy only acts like the LP's in one particular instance (combat). In all other areas they are different: i.e., they do not stay on the board past the turn they are summoned, they do not move around, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Rules Question - Secret Map
Actually, the Royal Navy doesn't even behave like the Legendary Pirates in combat (because the "Intercept" player gets to choose how the Navy fights), so there really is no reason at all for the Navy and Legendary Pirates to be grouped together in the rules.

--Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Barnes
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
did you ever find an answer to your question on Secret Map?
when I played PC the first time, the card was played by those players as doubling all the booty.
when we played last night I was sitting out the game and making rules calls, and the card implies that lower case "t" treasure means treasure chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret map doubles ALL four 'treasures' on an island (ie double fame, gold, chests and cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
We rolled a six for the secret map which is treasure island. We took this to mean that you can get two fame points for each treasure chests buried. But, now I wonder about that, was that wrong??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting idea that I had never even considered doing before. We always reroll 6s on secret map cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kong
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
when the player uses the secret map, are others allow to loot on the same island? meaning they fight for it and the player who placed that card lose in battle... so the other player gets the double treasures on that island???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the lower case "t" in "treasures" indicates that only the treasure chests are doubled.

The rules also explicitly state (at least the 2nd ed.) that it doesn't work at Treasure Island (if you roll a 6, you must reroll) and that only the player who plays the card gets the doubled chests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
For the Secret Map card, does it only double the number of treasure chests you receive, or all of the items on the treasure card, or some other combination?
I found a reply to this by Eric Hautemont of DoW in the Days of Wonder forums. According to him, everything on the treasure card (including fame, gold and tavern cards) is doubled.

This also makes game design sense to me, as it makes the two cards played in the Treasure phase, Consort and Secret Map, into each others mirror images - kind of. That is, the Secret Map doubles all the booty of a player, whereas the Consort halves it.

This said, I'd have to agree that "treasure" on this card, as well as in the rules for it, is a poor choice of word. The way it has been used elsewhere in the rules, I'd have to agree the most direct interpretation just from those rules as written would indeed seem to be just treasure chests. Like you are saying, it would have helped if "treasure chest" had been spelled out whenever this was meant. Whereas, on the card Secret Map, the word booty (like on the Consort card) clearly is the one that should have been used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.