Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding something. But given the choice between Ice Climber Anani and Arctic Explorer Bryan, why would I ever choose Anani? From what I can tell, both of their powers do exactly the same thing (even if they are worded slightly differently). Yet Bryan's costs 1 card less and he has 1 extra HP.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason "J.T." Taylor
United States
North Highlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have that correct. I think there's a correction needed from the publisher here cuz that can't be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering that myself. Unless it's misprinted Anani is just a strictly-worse version of Bryan.

It's possible that that is intentional though. With more players, you can spread the wounds out more, thus making the game easier. Giving Anani a worse power and less life may be an attempt to balance that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walstrom
msg tools
NerdyRaptor wrote:
I was wondering that myself. Unless it's misprinted Anani is just a strictly-worse version of Bryan.

It's possible that that is intentional though. With more players, you can spread the wounds out more, thus making the game easier. Giving Anani a worse power and less life may be an attempt to balance that.

Not sure I buy that, and it's not very orthoganal. Unless the word "threat" also includes the hit that creatures cause when uncovered from the Expedition deck or "bad" cards as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TechRaptor Travis
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if I buy it either, but it's the only train of thought that makes sense in my mind for the way the card fits into the rules as I understand them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Urevich
msg tools
I think the wording on the card is misprinted, we played that Anani can remove any Threat card from play for 2 discarded cards. (Instant kill!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr, Figoli
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe the trick is that you need to use Bryans ability in his turn, in his phase 3. The other one, you can use in any moment, i suppose...

So, if a nasty threat show up after the Bryans turn, he can do nothing, but Anani can cancel the threat without problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr, Figoli
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, i finally play the game, and yes, that Anani guy seems useless... really useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr, Figoli
Uruguay
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmb
So... No official responde in this matter?

I play some times this game, and i like it, but this ability still seem odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's a penalty for playing the 6-player game ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.