United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
STAR TREK ASCENDANCY
SECOND EXPANSION GAME
By Chas

I was just in a 3 Player, and having played the Ferengi a few days ago, I tried the Cardassians. They seem to be a hard luck faction, due in main to their requirement of having to orbiting a ship around every planet where they have a Production (not Research or Culture) node to have it produce. In our first game they had terrible Exploration luck, and in reports from GenCon they got assimilated by The Borg! We play these days with the two optional rules Extra Starting Resources and Focused Research, which help quite a bit. But their hard times being the case in general so far, I didn't think the Cardies would win, but I would be happy to just be in contention. Of course anything can happen, and perhaps my sample so far was too small to judge their chances. The other players were Ferengi and Federation. Once again, none of the new Confrontation or Ally Exploration cards from the two expansions would show up. Of course, I could have removed some old cards to favor their entry, but I had decided to just throw everything into the mix.

The Federation started out expanding nicely, and the Ferengi quickly headed toward them to trade. I got lucky in finding planets, but no civilizations to invade (for Culture tokens) or Culture nodes to capture. Close by the Ferengi found Bajor, which had also appeared in our earlier game, but since they couldn't build Culture, that became useless to me, just as I had planned to take it. But I found another new system, the Vlugta Asteroid Field, and with the Overseer Fleet to double the four Production nodes I developed there, would eventually be harvesting 8 production a turn from there! With this and other growth, I would be the first to Ascendancy Level Three, and build my entire counter mix of ships.

The Ferengi took over a world where I had build two Research nodes, which messed me up, but they did it so skillfully I couldn't counter. They had raised their shields to enter the Hazard 5 system, and I just couldn't afford to do it for quite a while. So I let them keep it, at the cost of peace. Then the other two players went to war permanently, as I continued to explore. But this later expansion was pretty barren of useful worlds. So I decided not to fight for a while, but build up as the others battled it out.

Eventually the Feds beat the Ferengi, and took over their Home System! With the traders about to be eliminated from the game when I would have to take the only world they had with a space station for building--to get to the Feds myself. We decided to cut short the play, after a nice long game of a few hours. On the last turn we ruled that if I was able to take over the Ferengi world near me and also take out the Feds from Ferenginar, which would take a lot of maneuvering in one turn, we'd call it a tie. Otherwise the Feds would win.

With Ferengi connivance, I passed through their single ship blocking a space lane peacefully, took their planet with the Star Base nearby (the one they'd originally taken from me), and headed to Ferenginar for the final confrontation. The Feds only had 3 ships left there and I had a fleet, but they had upgraded their shields (2) and weapons (3) far above me (with 1 weapons and 1 shield upgrade), so it would be a real gamble. On the last die roll, with only one Fed ship left, I was wiped out, and so conceded the game! But it had been close.

This game reassured me that the Cardassians are a viable faction, although tricky to play. It seems to take them longer to build up into a strong general position than the others. The initial fortunes of Exploration played a big role in how the game would flow as usual, with the Federation the most favored in their expansion. I could have counterattacked the Ferengi earlier, but the Federation was too much of a threat. I had sealed off my Asteroid Field from the Federation by filling up its possible space lane connections, but this then worked against me, as I couldn't get to their heartland and threaten them there. Would the Cardassians have fared better with a larger player count and therefore a larger playing area in which too explore? Hard to say for now.

The good thing is that both new factions play differently than any of the core three, so now there is a nice choice for which type of faction you can play. With The Borg allowing 1-2 player games as well, Ascendancy will be nicely rounded out once they become available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buckley
United Kingdom
LONDON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with Cardassaians and managed to scrap a culture victory, but only just. Someone described them as a glass hammer, which I think is accurate, you don't really want to be getting into too many space battles as you need the ships for production. Early game especially you'll really need to bide your time and hope you get lucky finding low level civilisations you can invade to get the culture going, and hopefully some systems with multiple production nodes. On the plus side the hunter fleet is sick, only 3 strong but also providing a very strong disincentive for anyone to get into a fight with them. Definitely a challenging force to play, but I found them rewarding as you really have to think tactically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently won with the Cardassians. Definitely be careful about starting fights until you've got a solid production rate going or it can fall apart fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Congratulations to both you guys for winning with the Cardies. I look forward to such a victory some day, but now I have to let my pals have a turn with the new factions. In my first game I just luckily won the first faction choice during the initial die rolls out of four players and chose the Ferengi, but in the second game with only three players, the others agreed to let me take the Cardassians, so I could try them out and discuss them with you all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.