1 , 2  Next »   | 

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Outsider underpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
I have played the heck out of Myth, and I'm starting to believe that the outsider is a pretty crapy hero next to the other melee heroes.
Any one want to add their thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only used him in 1 or 2 sessions, but based on starting stats I really liked him. I don't have the cards memorized, so I can't state specifics, but there were a couple of times where I was like "I love this guy". Granted, I've usually played the Acolyte, so being able to melee anyone is a big deal to me. laugh

I remember one time that we triggered a Captain on a 12x12. In one turn I was able to move 5 spaces, then play the Attack that lets you jump 3 spaces, and killed the Capt with one blow. In another I was able to kill multiple minions with a single attack.

I felt that he was more flexible than focused, so he wouldn't be the single most powerful fighter on the table. That should still be the warrior. On the other hand the Swashbuckler seems overpowered to me, so yes, the Outsider would rank 3rd out of 3 in the melee category, but I wouldn't call him crappy. I haven't been able to see how his power curve works out in JM yet tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the problem with the Outsider is the lack of attacking cards, with only seven (iirc) in the starting 30 cards, far too many options for drawing no attack one hand but 3+ the next and having to discard one or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
I've played the Acolyte 75% of all of my 40+ myth games, and I earned all of the JM Necromancer cards, so now you know were I'm coming from. I've played the outsider 3-4 times, and was not impressed, but then again I normally play 2 player games and I don't think that It works because you are just hurting your one friend. It's the very same with the swashbuckler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Rob. I have had some great experiences with the Outsider. Some of his cards that manipulate the AP have been game changers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
Once again I Normally play 2 player games so AP isn't quite as big of a deal. If I had a bigger group maybe I would like him more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since his class abilities (Path cards) revolve around buffing the party, I would imagine that he's not so useful in a 2-person group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a string of solo games recently, 2 heroes: Acolyte and Outsider.

I picked the Outsider because I wanted to try "a different soldier". It seemed underwhelming, mostly because he/she (it?) has few attacks in the deck.
I think it is not reliable as a main damage dealer.

But I think it can be good in a support/tank (not minion slayer) role.
It can buff the party (er the Acolyte. I have not much experience with Myth...)
and with a bit of positioning effort can defend de-buffing enemies or parrying... or counterattacking... I usually sent the Acolyte to the front when I have to do serious minion killing.
The Outsider can position itself to draw minions to itself or something.
Occasionally it can deal big damage, but I think you have to work a bit toward that.

I played the Soldier more like advance, kill, tank, advance... and I think this is not possible with the Outsider.

(Personally I have a lot of fun with the Outsider.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
davro33 wrote:
Since his class abilities (Path cards) revolve around buffing the party, I would imagine that he's not so useful in a 2-person group.

(Or debuffing the party)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a fair amount with just the Outsider and the Swashbuckler team. Get a few potions under their belt and this combo kicked some serious tail ... err even if they were tailless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
ok maybe I'm just not any good with the outsider

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The poorer characters among the Myth crowd (I'm looking at you Hunter) can still be played successfully. Saying you did well with a character really doesn't say anything about how good a character is relative to the others. To say a character is "underpowered" implies that it is less effective than the other character classes.

I have the Outsider but haven't played him so I can't contribute to how good the character plays, and it IS possible to learn to play certain character classes better, but that doesn't address the question either right?

So those of you who have played the outsider and a selection of the standard characters, tell us where you rate the outsider among the standard characters for effective play. Is he better than the Soldier? the Acolyte? the Brigand? Would he be a good solitaire choice? Is he best as part of a team?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
carbon_dragon wrote:

So those of you who have played the outsider and a selection of the standard characters, tell us where you rate the outsider among the standard characters for effective play. Is he better than the Soldier? the Acolyte? the Brigand? Would he be a good solitaire choice? Is he best as part of a team?

Very good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are talking straight damage dealing then the outsider is not as good and should be paired with a damage dealer.

I would put the outsider as one of the top additions to my party once I figured out who is bringing the pain.

Do I think the outsider is under powered? I think there are a lot of descion points for this character, I think that it (he?) has a balanced amount of support, little bit of damage, and environmental effect cards. So overall my opinion is No it is not underpowered but It depends what you define as power. If it's just the ability to deal out damage then obviously hit would be underpowered.

Hope this helps clarify where I was coming from with my responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love the mini and the art of the outsider, that is why he joint my team directly :)

he has the mind splinter card wich can be a game changer early in the game!
some cards that change the AP are also great.
if you use the interupt cards upside down to make an attack with his secondary weapon, you compensate the fact that he has not so many attack cards.
he has a curse card which is also usefull.
his starting weapon has 2 d10 which is cool.

i like him, but he is not the very best i guess. but as i said, the mini and art will always be cool :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent paint job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cador2 wrote:
if you use the interupt cards upside down to make an attack with his secondary weapon, you compensate the fact that he has not so many attack cards.

That's the Swashbuckler's ability, not the Outsider's. The Outsider's starting weapon is 2-handed, so if he sticks with polearms he can't use off-hand weapons.

Otherwise I agree with you. The Outsider isn't supposed to be a 1:1 replacement of the Soldier. What would be the point if they were exactly identical? Instead...

He has the ability to tank, but does it differently than the Soldier.
He has the ability to buff the party, but does it differently than Acolyte.
He has the ability to deal with traps and NCAs, but does it differently than the Brigand.
And like the Brigand, he has the ability to one-shot Captains.
He also has (according to MCG) the best Interrogation ability in the game, which will make him more powerful if we ever get our Commander minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W Wharton
msg tools
mb
Davor33 wrote:

He also has (according to MCG) the best Interrogation ability in the game, which will make him more powerful if we ever get our Commander minis.

Sorry MCG, I'm pretty sure the best interrogates are the Necromancer's, and the Elementalist's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
cador2 wrote:

That's the Swashbuckler's ability, not the Outsider's. The Outsider's starting weapon is 2-handed, so if he sticks with polearms he can't use off-hand weapons.

as far as i understand it everyone can do it?!?!

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1710139/some-questions-swas...

steprov wrote:
excellent paint job

thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the comment was regarding the Outsider's starting weapon as it requires 2 hands. You need to have a weapon with the dual-wield keyword. The Outsider can make a rush attack, but not until he alters his gear a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're both right. I was thinking of him w/his starting gear, but you could swap things out if you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that only SOME characters can dual wield, including the Soldier, the Hunter, and the Swashbuckler. Might be wrong, but I think it's supposed to be restricted to certain classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee ogre
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd have to go digging through cards since it's been a while, but I seem to remember some 2.0 weapons have the Rush keyword (no guarantees, I've been looking after a toddler that hasn't got a good sleep cycle and my memory is shot). I would play that as any hero that had a Rush weapon in their offhand could perform Rush attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I can remember, there are very few weapons (if not none) that restrict which class may equip them. They're just not as effective on every character.

The keyword on the Items is Dual Wield, and anyone can equip those weapons. Equipping a Dual Wield weapon gives you access to Rush attacks. To perform a Rush attack you must play an Interrupt card upside down in an action slot. That's it.

So anyone can perform them, it's just a lot easier for certain classes b/c they have better access to Dual Wield items and a higher number of Interrupts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my impression as well. Any character can make a rush attack if you have a weapon and a dual wield weapon. It just would make less sense for, say the Apprentice, to use such a combo of weapons as some of his skill cards make use of a Focus. I think it is just better suited to certain characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.