Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not own the game, so the following question might be silly. I have read the rules, however, so it might not be.

Suppose two players decided to play a non-coop game. Each one starts with a different curse, first to break their curse wins. I guess they would need two copies of the game to have two separate, complete Action Decks, but apart from that, there would be just one world. Players alternate turns as in other games. When on the same space, they can decide to collaborate on an action, become paranoid, or perhaps trade items and maybe even ideas, but, apart from this, they would be pursuing their separate, independent goals, in one world in which one player's actions can indirectly affect the other player's options.

Questions:

1) Would this work from the point of view of rules mechanics? How could it be improved?

2) Would there be a way to play with only one copy of the game, by e.g. splitting the action deck in two halves?

- One could allow each player's Action Deck to be emptied twice before risking death by drawing a Curse card from the Action Deck Discard pile.

- One could have a common discard pile, so that Action Cards discarded by one player have a chance of being reshuffled into the other player's hand when they eat.

3) Would this variant be easily breakable by character actions? Are there many points in the game in which one player's action can fuck up the other player's chances to defeat their curse by e.g. banishing cards?

4) Would there be enough potential for player interaction to make playing this way interesting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first quick thought is that there would be all sort of challenges with refreshing decks, banished or discarded cards, etc. I also doubt there would be any interaction unless you wanted to mess with each other. You likely don't have a sense for how big this world is... you can't fit it on a dining room table and there are transition points between different parts of the world that require you to pick up and replace all the cards on the table and those in the Past (basically a discard deck for non-Action cards).

Also, I think this could be pretty boring at times. Many of your actions are... "move to the next tile." and then the other person might go on a hunt that could last 3-5 minutes as they figure out how to go about it... so it's not like each "turn" is similar in length.

Also, part of the experience is discovery. If I can just look at what the other guy is doing, I don't need to go figure it out for myself. Thematically that's a little strange to be in a competition and get to see everything your opponent is doing even if they are miles away from you on the map.

There may be something in your idea... but I can't see how to make it work or how it would be more fun than the current state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Zachary. Not having played the game, it is true that I don't really have an idea how big the world is... although the word "continent" might have hinted at that

Perhaps mine is just an idea for a wholly different game then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would be especially satisfying in practice. As Zachary says, interaction would be minimal, which makes the core idea somewhat pointless.

Also, movements of other players would make each other's quest easier as they would be revealing more areas. In other words, if you get to a place before me, I can now see much of what is there and don't have to explore to get through. With the movement rules, one could potentially get sudden massive movement chains encountering a map area largely uncovered.

And the biggest problem is that the game only supports a certain number of plays (potentially as few as one per curse) before becoming "known," which makes expending the content on a variant such as this feel less appealing. What if it doesn't work out to be very fun and you also reveal to separate quests worth of content to each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
What if it doesn't work out to be very fun and you also reveal to separate quests worth of content to each player.

I was thinking this might be a way to replay the game after a few plays, when you have explored most or all of the continent already.

Quote:
Also, movements of other players would make each other's quest easier as they would be revealing more areas. In other words, if you get to a place before me, I can now see much of what is there and don't have to explore to get through.

One could houserule that you have to re-explore to go through areas discovered by other players, going through random events. You know what is there, but you still have to find your way through.

There might even be a thematic rationale for it (the two players are telepathically linked, or they have satellite phones, or something like that, so they can share some general info about the territory and what can be found in certain locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I am not trying to convince you that the variant would be fun. If you say that the interaction would be minimal, I trust you 100%. I just find it fun to try and imagine a way it could be made to work mechanically.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Zachary says, I doubt it would work. A player could easily break the game by refusing to move to certain tiles. Because all the players need to be on the same tile to transition between a location and the other, a player could block the other from accessing a location needed for their quest. Or they could easily sabotage them by taking items that are necessary for their quest, and so on.

Besides the curses have different length/difficulty, so the game wouldn't be balanced. It might be a different game with a similar system, though! Maybe with just one smaller location and the players each racing to find an item...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're talking about using two action decks, but one set of adventure cards? I think you might also have problems with hunting/food. Only one payer would get access to each food source, leading to shortages.

But it might be fun to try, using curses you've already completed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
You're talking about using two action decks, but one set of adventure cards? I think you might also have problems with hunting/food. Only one payer would get access to each food source, leading to shortages.

But it might be fun to try, using curses you've already completed...

I wonder if you could do some sort of "split personality" with 2 sets. Anytime you have a choice to make, each character must make a different one. Anytime there are 2 cards to choose from with the same number, each player gets a different one. Play the games side by side and banish cards from one set if the other universe plays the other option.

It's some sort of Multiverse version of the game to see how the branching decisions will lead to very different results. That certainly wouldn't involve player interaction, so likely wouldn't achieve what the OP is looking for, but might be fun to see just how different things can be with a flip of a coin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very likely that we would never meet. Say I have curse X I have to go North and do something there. If you have curse Y and have to go South we would never interact with each other.

The fun of the game is exploring and discovering the world together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ALeX
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In certain situations all adventurers must on the same card in order to do an action.
The XP cards work in a way that only works if all adventurers share them.
Sorry I don't see how it could work.
(Having not played the game myself, but I've a copy at home and read this forum.)
But don't let me stop you, try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Schmid
Germany
flag msg tools
I think this could be possible if both player have the same curse. And curse relevant cards will not be banished unless all players have used them. First player to lift the curse wins. Also staircase icons need to be ignored. This would ensure that the players take roughly the same path through the continent.

But you definitely would need 2 Action Decks. Some of the item cards are too important to stay alive. It would be bad if one person could just hog them.

I think it would create a nice dynamic. If you push forward, you have to deal with all the encounter cards, but you will also be the first to get the rewards and nice hunting spots. If you take your time, the other player will have opened the path for you which will save you stamina.

Players can still work together to overcome nasty challenges, but they don't have to. Maybe you could even make non-action-card items tradable between players to get more interaction going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.