Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got hold of this excellent spreadsheet for running operation rounds in 18XX games. The downside is having to bring laptops for gaming sessions, so I wonder if anybody uses anything on Android devices? Neither Google Docs nor Microsoft's own Excel app for android seems to handle excel macros, so using that spreadsheet directly is not an option. There are a couple of apps for 18XX at the google store, but it seems they are aimed at doing the endgame calculations instead of being a OR assistant during the game. Does anybody uses anything else (or knows a way of making those macro work on an Android device?). I was thinking about writing something myself but I'm an old fashioned guy who codes in C/C++ and I'm not that fond of Java.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Tom McCorry uses the Numbers app in iOS, which doesn't precisely answer your question, but might be helpful.

I bought a Macbook Air for this purpose. It's light and has about 20 hours of battery life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Nothing is stopping you from duplicating that spreadsheet as a Google Sheet with the same or better macros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than writing something you could probably just use Google Sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it is only in Spanish, but I know someone who made a try with an app

https://github.com/robzoros/score18xx-api-rest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use an app called 18XX Companion. It's very good and keeps adding games, however you can manually score games through it. You just have to put in the names of the companies.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nullpointe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:
I use an app called 18XX Companion. It's very good and keeps adding games, however you can manually score games through it. You just have to put in the names of the companies.

I use 18xx companion too! So far only to calculate a final OR set. It's especially speedy when people read off share values while I input them for final scoring. The app unfortunately doesn't save previous game data, or feature graphs, but is handy. It's surprisingly effecient to set-up a title that's not already in the system. I prefer it to paper. I have noticed many people are hesitant to let me use it, possibly concerned it will be too slow; patience can be thin after a long 18xx session, can't it? Anyways, I do recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:

I use 18xx companion too! So far only to calculate a final OR set. It's especially speedy when people read off share values while I input them for final scoring. The app unfortunately doesn't save previous game data, or feature graphs, but is handy. It's surprisingly effecient to set-up a title that's not already in the system. I prefer it to paper. I have noticed many people are hesitant to let me use it, possibly concerned it will be too slow; patience can be thin after a long 18xx session, can't it? Anyways, I do recommend it!

It's funny. I had 18xx companion on my phone and never quite understood how to use it. Now that I know it's for end game scoring it makes perfect sense. Look forward to using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm fond of using ad hoc Google Sheets. The spreadsheets are trivial to set up, almost no more effort than the basic data entry, and there's enough structural variance to make a uniform tool less interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffeeRunner wrote:
Joshuaaaaaa wrote:

Yeah, I have it as well and used it previously for the same purpose (calculating the final OR). But unless I'm missing something it is not really suitable for calculating all of them (including revenue for the companies, which doesn't matter in the final OR).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use it for final OR, mostly because that's the only time I've really found that it speeds things up significantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
We simply write the last ORs on a piece of paper and add it to the final standings using a simple pocket calculator. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemmi's Moderator works under Dosbox. Maybe that works for you, although you're probably going to want to use a keyboard with that.

And here's a Google Sheet that's meant to be used all game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's interesting. It seems many people don't think that using such things is worth for all ORs? I'm already convinced experience is the most important accelerator (my first game of 1846 with poker chips and Joe's spread sheet took four hours, which was only 1 less than what we were doing with paper money and manual calculations), but I thought using those sheets was widely considered to speed up all the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly speeds the game up for us. We start using it after the first SR that results in significant cross ownership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
It certainly speeds the game up for us. We start using it after the first SR that results in significant cross ownership.

After seeing with my own eyes a 1846 game I was in last 2h, I definitely agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.