Hide
16 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Questions for the sleevers out there rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Enloe
msg tools
So I've decided that at least some of the cards need to get sleeved. So as a person that doesn't sleeve I went out and did some research. This left me even more confused. Thus I would like to ask those who have come before me a few questions.

Base information:
Mayday thin sleeves are 0.0249cents a sleeve and can be bought locally
Swan thin sleeves are 0.0264cents a sleeve and I would have to order them and wait a week or 2

1) Are mayday or swan sleeves really slippery? The last time I tried to sleeve a game it was Pathfinder ACG and the cards would slip and slide all over the place. They were impossible to handle in large groups and wouldn't properly stay in stacks and piles. This is a concern for me.

2) What are the major differences between the 2 brands, and which of those are worth caring about for this game specifically?

3) I'm going to sleeve the curses, skills, and area events, but are there any other cards that seem like good candidates for sleeving?

4) Any other advice for my second nervous foray into sleeving after the slippery failure that was my pathfinder attempt?

Thank you all for your efforts and I hope you all are enjoying the game as much as I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitsubi wrote:
So I've decided that at least some of the cards need to get sleeved. So as a person that doesn't sleeve I went out and did some research. This left me even more confused. Thus I would like to ask those who have come before me a few questions.

Base information:
Mayday thin sleeves are 0.0249cents a sleeve and can be bought locally
Swan thin sleeves are 0.0264cents a sleeve and I would have to order them and wait a week or 2

1) Are mayday or swan sleeves really slippery? The last time I tried to sleeve a game it was Pathfinder ACG and the cards would slip and slide all over the place. They were impossible to handle in large groups and wouldn't properly stay in stacks and piles. This is a concern for me.

2) What are the major differences between the 2 brands, and which of those are worth caring about for this game specifically?

3) I'm going to sleeve the curses, skills, and area events, but are there any other cards that seem like good candidates for sleeving?

4) Any other advice for my second nervous foray into sleeving after the slippery failure that was my pathfinder attempt?

Thank you all for your efforts and I hope you all are enjoying the game as much as I am.

1. I used swan for this - first time using - not so slippery

3. I only sleeved the blue-backed skill/curse cards. Someone mentioned sleeving the cloudy-back exploration cards too. But IDK, it seems like you shuffle those only once per 2/3 hr session - I'm not planning to sleeve those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeved all the blue-backed cards with Mayday, and so far I'm very happy with the results. Since I don't hold the cards in my hand, but rather lay them out in front of me, there really isn't much opportunity for the cards to slip. I've just been worried about the fact that the blue cards get shuffled frequently.

For the price, 2 packs of 100 was more than reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Guillemette
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the exact same things as the OP, so thanks for your reply!
Great advice to sleeve only the blue cards, but was wondering what size sleeves did you use, and how many are there?

Thanks in advance!
-Matthew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Enloe
msg tools
Yeah I play face up too, I'm more worried about the slipperiness when dealing with the skill deck or handling large amount. handling large amounts of cards that are slippery usually ends with me picking them up off the ground haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... I am disgusted and disappointed, but I still want to believe people can be good and sensible.
badge
If am still here, it is only for the gold.
mbmbmbmbmb

My shop had to order my thin Swan Panasia sleeves abroad so I am still waiting for them.

However, based on my previous experience with Swan Panasia they are - at least in the beginning - sticky rather than slippery. It is their thick sleeves that are slippery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with the Mayday thin (penny) sleeves is that the size varies between lots. A lot. It's not so much that within one package there is much difference, but if you buy 2 packages that are 'the same size' you often have enough difference that you can tell, for instance, your base set cards you sleeved last year vs your expansion that arrived yesterday.

Swan Pan Asia are more uniform in size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
The problem with the Mayday thin (penny) sleeves is that the size varies between lots. A lot.

This. Even their premium sleeves suffer from size variation in the same print run.

I would honestly purchase way more mayday if it wasn't for this, because they are such an accessible brand. Swan sleeves have been fantastic for me, in both consistency and fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used premium Mayday sleeves which are working great.the cards I sleeved we're:

- All skill and advanced skill cards
- All exploration cards
- All state cards (100-109)
- All 050, 150, 250, and 350 cards
- characters, curses, satchel & journal

I have all the expansions but not any of the add-ons and I believe it took just under (EDIT: 450 sleeves) to do all of those. Wouldn't really want to sleeve anything that isn't shuffled often so I now have all those covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tornabe
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsesta84 wrote:
I used premium Mayday sleeves which are working great.the cards I sleeved we're:

- All exploration cards

I have all the expansions but not any of the add-ons and I believe it took just under 350 sleeves to do all of those. Wouldn't really want to sleeve anything that isn't shuffled often so I now have all those covered.

I use Mayday Premium too, what size are you using and its only 1 size card right? I read a post here or at comment on Kickstarter about sleeving. That was it, addicted after the 1st onegulp I have the problems with sizes and texture from both places, just deal with it cause the amount I buy I buy I can't possibly return or deal with waiting for other ones to arrive. I have another problem that I wonder if anyone else has. soblue I Have to sleeve everything and I mean everything. Whether shuffled or not, damn even if only used once. What comes to mind is Legends of Andor, the Tutorial Legend, the one you play once, its sleeved. Has anyone ever sleeved tiles? ninja
Im caught, I sleeve them too, Tsuro and Tsuro of the Seas come to me now but others as well. I will probably need a separate box for these cards with Premium as I plan on getting next KS w/ all the expansions. I have a reason but think it more a justification to avoid thinking its OCD. I have another TBI (brain injury) and once sleeved the cards change visually for me. What I mean is I can read them better and they're more alive art wise. Sound crazy(I thought so too) but I Googled it and I found something similar but different,IRLEN , uses colored lens to help with writing, reading, math and such. Some sort of depth perception, dyslexia, autism and other issues are help by it so maybe with a TBI I fit in there somewhere. So that's why I will spend as much as the game cost in sleeves sometimes. Told you I was addicted, even talking about them I can't stopblush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
The problem with the Mayday thin (penny) sleeves is that the size varies between lots. A lot. It's not so much that within one package there is much difference, but if you buy 2 packages that are 'the same size' you often have enough difference that you can tell, for instance, your base set cards you sleeved last year vs your expansion that arrived yesterday.

No problem there. Just buy sleeves in 20 packs. Problem solved. I always do that. If you are lucky, they even send it within the paper display. Storage solved as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus T.
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I purchased 200 Mayday thin sleeves (80x80) and no size issues, but they are quite "sticky" to each other, makes shuffling more annoying than shuffling without sleeves, unfortunately.

I sleeved all the blue-backed cards, and the cards dividers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kitsubi wrote:

The Swan Panasia 80mm x 80mm thin sleeves are a kind of plastic that sticks a bit to itself. I was actually kinda surprised by that and wondered if they changed plastics to avoid what you are talking about.

Kitsubi wrote:

From my experience the thin Mayday sleeves are useless. They are always too loose and my cards fall out. I never buy them if I can help it. Also, as someone else said, they tend to be very different in size from bag to bag both in width and height. This enhances the likelihood that they will be too loose. Swan Panasia sleeves are much more uniform although I have seen them vary a bit in height even within the same bag. The variation in height doesn't usually matter much because the cards stay in. They also have a lot more custom sizes making finding a close fit easier.

Kitsubi wrote:

Maybe the status effect cards though those can be hard to find. For those you could just keep some sleeves on hand while you play and sleeve them while they are on the table if you wanted them sleeved. They can end up staying in front of you for awhile.

Kitsubi wrote:

The slipperyness of most sleeves usually only stays until you've played a few times. Oils on people's hands remove that slipperyness after awhile. The great thing about this game is that even if the cards are slippery the deck is not large enough to slide and topple, there's only one, freestanding deck to deal with, and the rest of the cards are stored upright in box trays so you shouldn't need to handle them very often. Having them slide out of the box easily will come in handy, especially if you have them really packed in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
compujet1 wrote:
jsesta84 wrote:

- All exploration cards

I have all the expansions but not any of the add-ons and I believe it took just under 350 sleeves to do all of those. Wouldn't really want to sleeve anything that isn't shuffled often so I now have all those covered.

I use Mayday Premium too, what size are you using and its only 1 size card right?

using the 80x80mm premium sleeves. They don't stick at all and you can pile shuffle with ease. I don't skimp on sleeves but that's probably because I don't sleeve every game nor every card in every game depending on function. If it's shuffled often and I play it a lot I'll probably sleeve it (unless it's Legendary in which case there's way too many cards to sleeve without it costing a fortune).

Anyway, I highly recommend the mayday premiums. They fit great, are an excellent thickness, don't stick, and are easy to shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Enloe
msg tools
Just a follow up. I ended up buying the Mayday standard sleeves. This was because I could get them now at a local store, and I got a pretty steep discount. They are definitely thin and cheap feeling, but I'm not really sure I care in this case.

I didn't find any size variation although they are the same lot so that is surprising. I don't think this will matter much as long as I can keep the same size for each card number and the skills.

They are loose and this is really the only part I'm a bit worried about has that could cause frustration if cards slip out of the sleeves regularly. So far I haven't had an issue, but only time will tell.

All and all I think for a first pass it's working out well. If they fail I'll use better sleeves as replacements, but it was the risk of having to re-buy. Either way I get to play my game now instead of in a few weeks. Which I'm currently doing and having a blast.

Thank you all for your help. Feel free to keep talking as it might help others. Sleeving is way more complex a world then I originally thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
lacreighton wrote:

I've got abut a dozen Swan Pan Asia mini euro sleeve packs and they're all different sizes, varying across 2mm of length. Never touching them again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.