Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
Combat deck builder on customizable hex battlefield.
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Name: Combat S.O.A.P. - System of Operations for Assaulting Polygons.
Designer: Tyson Gajewski
Overview: S.O.A.P. stands for
SYSTEM of OPERATIONS for ASSAULTING POLYGONS.
S.O.A.P. is a combat based deck building game fought on a customizable hex based battlefield. Opponents order their troops into position to upgrade their arsenal while attempting to either wipe out the competition or control enough areas to dominate the battlefield and secure victory.
# of Players: 2 players per set or combine sets to play up to 6 players.
Suggested Play Time: About 20 minutes per player depending on game type and map layout.
List of Components: Each set of Travel S.O.A.P. would come with:
6 12mm (d6) dice (3 each in two different colors).
12 Activation tokens (6 each in two different colors).
36 mini American sized playing cards.
1 double sided map sheet.
48 reusable vinyl cling map tiles.
1 set of game rules.
More information can be found at a WIP website at www.PlayWithSOAP.com
Direct link to Rules of Combat S.O.A.P.
Print and Play files can be found HERE
Proof of Concept pictures:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Herman
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] S.O.A.P. - Mint Tin Design Contest 2017 - Idea phase
Why is the game called S.O.A.P.?

With that acronym I wouldn't expect a game with combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] S.O.A.P. - Mint Tin Design Contest 2017 - Idea phase
Tpatts wrote:
Looks exciting!

Thank you for your interest! I'm excited to be a part of this contest and can't wait to get some good constructive feedback!

Young, rich and sexy wrote:
Why is the game called S.O.A.P.?

With that acronym I wouldn't expect a game with combat.

Thank you for a great question! You make a fair point.
How S.O.A.P. got its' name.

S.O.A.P. has only been in development for about three months now and was conceived purely as a set of game mechanics.  Theme has not been a major driving factor in its’ initial design.  I completely understand that theme is important in most game designs, especially for things like branding and marketing.  The theme for S.O.A.P. has been one of my challenges so far with the design.

The name S.O.A.P. originated from an early post-playtest discussion.  I was elaborating how the mechanics could be utilized to create not just multiple modes of combative gameplay but could also be modified along with some cards and tile abilities to create all sorts of game types and styles of play.  I was struggling (and still somewhat am) with a name that could encapsulate that the idea of S.O.A.P. wasn’t just a single game but a system that could be modified and adapted to suite an array of “games”.  A common gaming example that came to mind was G.U.R.P.S. - Generic Universal Role Playing System created by Steve Jackson Games in 1986.  (In fair disclosure, I am not an avid roleplay gamer nor is S.O.A.P. necessarily a role playing game).  The idea was that the style and theme of the game could be adjusted to player’s desires while still utilizing the core rule set.

Ok, but why S.O.A.P.?  Well, during this aforementioned post-playtest discussion I was asking my playtester for name ideas.  I wanted something simple and easy to remember, but still had a way of getting the concept that S.O.A.P. could be more than just a single game type across to the player.  Then it was mentioned that the hexagon tiles that I was using to construct maps reminded him of how soap bubbles take on polygonal forms when pressed against one another in a confined space.  Suddenly the question was: “What if, like G.U.R.P.S., the game’s name was an acronym with a simple name like soap?”  As a laugh we started throwing together words for the S.O.A.P. acronym.  When the current, a System of Operations for Assaulting Polygons, was established the name S.O.A.P. seemed to stick.  S.O.A.P. was originally intended to be used as a sort of “in-house code name” for the game but in the months since it has become catchy and easy to remember among my current relatively small group of playtesters.

Something that I am strongly considering is changing the logo graphics to portray a more military theme by using the typical white/yellow painted on stencil lettering found on military ammo cans and crates.  Something like the M*A*S*H TV show logo.  My only hesitation with going to a pure military theme so far is that I have made the argument that because of the way the game was designed, mechanics over theme, it would be just as easy to say that it’s name could be something as crazy as “Magic Robots from Outer Space versus Insane Clown Pirates from the Nether Realms”.  Which does sound awesome but hasn’t been enough to tie me down as a solid name.  Basically I’ve been a bit hesitant to shoehorn a theme onto the game mechanics, but it has clearly developed into a militaristic and combative entity.

Since this game is still in development I am more than open to exploring new name suggestions.  All that I would ask for is a thorough read through of the current rules and potentially waiting a couple of days until I can get the print and play files uploaded.  I’m hoping to get this done by the end of the coming weekend!

Thank you for your interest in S.O.A.P. - Fight dirty, Play clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] S.O.A.P. - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - Components Ready
A play tester just commented that "S.O.A.P. is like the Command and Colors system but as a deck builder instead of dice and without the divided battlefield (flanks)." "A lite pocket-sized Memoir 44". I hope this can help describe the basic play style of S.O.A.P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Peterson
Thailand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
TyGuy22 wrote:
A play tester just commented that "S.O.A.P. is like the Command and Colors system but as a deck builder instead of dice and without the divided battlefield (flanks)." "A lite pocket-sized Memoir 44". I hope this can help describe the basic play style of S.O.A.P.

I love Memoir44. This description sounds very cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ggeek wrote:
I love Memoir44. This description sounds very cool!
Thank you for your interest! I personally have not played Memoir 44 but have read through the rules and watched several hours of YouTube gameplay and can see where my play tester was coming from. I plan on visiting my FLGS and/or local board game café this weekend to give it a play.

Assuredly S.O.A.P. would greatly benefit from any game play feedback from anyone familiar with those types of games.

Thanks for the comment on my rules page too! I agree that the formatting needs work. I'm currently in the process putting some graphics together to insert images to help clarify rules. My goal is to have a cleaner and more graphically appeasing look uploaded by early next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A new version (v2) of S.O.A.P. is now available! The links in the OP should point to the new full color version, both in full and mint tin sizes. Each featuring additional arsenal cards! There is also an updated rule set. The added graphics should help clear up any confusion. Hope to hear some play test feedback. Thanks in advance!

It's only about a week later than I originally planned but sometimes life just gets in the way (joys of homeownership). None the less, progress has clearly been made. More so behind the scenes. Big things should be coming in the next couple of weeks. Fingers crossed. Keep watching here and at www.PlayWithSOAP.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that it has been several weeks since my last post, but work has continued, slowly. I have managed to oversee a couple dozen play tests in the past weeks with a good assortment of gamers. This post is mostly to post a few pictures of where things are at as the contest comes to a close.

First, I am making a change to the game's title. It is now Combat S.O.A.P.. It's a subtle change but it helps define the game to newcomers.

Next, components. This is where probably the most progress has been made lately. Each team now has painted wooden activation tokens and the double sided game board (battlefield) has received a facelift.

The most exciting part are the specialty hex tiles. Since cardboard tiles would be too thick to fit into a small mint (soap) tin and paper tiles would constantly be blown and bumped out of place, I went another route. Reusable vinyl cling stickers!

These things are awesome! A simple thin lamination of the game board allows the stickers to adhere. And since they are vinyl cling, there is no actual adhesive (they use microscopic suction cups instead)! They are even 100% waterproof! This means you could bury them in dirt and most of it won't stick and anything that does washes clean off making them completely usable again! They are also very durable. I have folded and creased several stickers in half back and forth multiple times and the material is still solid and functional with clear artwork intact. All in all, a great component material for this concept!

The reusable vinyl sticker tiles combined with the double sided game board allow players to customize the battlefield to suit a wide range of conditions.

Even small changes to tile placement make a big difference in how a battle will be fought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Combat S.O.A.P. - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - Components Ready
I love how you have a folding map for your mint tin game. That is a great use of space! The vinyl cling stickers are a nice touch too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coldron
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Combat S.O.A.P. - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - Contest Ready
I looked through this but didn't get a chance to play it.

Deckbuilding meets skirmish combat. There are some great ideas here and it looks like it should be a flexible system for a lot of replay value with different maps.

The map-activated deckbuilding is an intriguing idea. My only concern is that maybe two parts of the game might be fighting against each other because the uncertainty about card-draws central to the deckbuilding might limit how much tactical thinking you are able to do.

This was my #1 pick for innovation and #2 for rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Combat S.O.A.P. - 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest - Contest Ready
Combat S.O.A.P. version 4 has just been posted! The original post has links that have been updated. Quite a lot has changed over the past several months of play testing. Thank you for the continued support and encouragement. I look forward to hearing any play test feedback that can be provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls