GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,352 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more for speculation since we know little about the expansion unless one of the designers wants to jump in and clarify.

How does the 5th tower having 48 cards work when the rest only have 24 and are locked into a rigid 1st round, 2nd round, 3rd round system?

Possibilities;

1. Unlike the other towers the 5th tower has variability between games and you only use half of the 5th tower cards each game.

2. The 5th tower has two columns instead of one so twice the number of cards come out each round.

That's all I've got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davies
United Kingdom
Haddenham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or some those 48 are for the other towers to allow for 5 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are pictures of new cards for the existing towers so I think it's fair to say the 48 expansion cards aren't all for the fifth tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
rybaby wrote:
There are pictures of new cards for the existing towers so I think it's fair to say the 48 expansion cards aren't all for the fifth tower.

That'd be really good. Variability for the other towers would be something that would really help sell this game to it's few detractors. Variability from game to game was a frequent complaint, whether valid or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rybaby wrote:

Oh thank the lords of Italy. I was hoping this would be the case but because the description says, "48 new Development Cards and a fifth tower, where these cards are placed." I was trying to keep my expectations low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Cox
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why can't we ever get the expansion it seems that we really want? Even for the same price? Who wouldn't just rather another complete set of tower cards?

Game after game, everyone wants no added complexity or rules overhead but more variability and they want it to fit in the original box.

Maybe it is just me but i have shut down buying expansions years ago because they aren't the type of expansion that I wanted

I know, 5th player and "something new" added, but shouldn't that come after and in addition to what we are mostly pining for? Not instead of..

Not picking on this expansion in particular, just wondering if anyone else had become disenchanted with expansions because of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loukas Marmaras
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am mostly on the same boat with you. I think the best expansion for starters would be some extra cards for each tower in order to give this beautiful game the replay ability it deserves. I have no objections on the fifth player (though it will certainly add some extra time - delay in the game play).
Lets wait and see what they will finally deliver

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Burton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
rybaby wrote:

Oh thank the lords of Italy. I was hoping this would be the case but because the description says, "48 new Development Cards and a fifth tower, where these cards are placed." I was trying to keep my expectations low.

I hope this is true too, but you would expect 24 for the 5th tower, to match the other 4, which only leaves 24 to expand the (now) 5 towers. 5 towers and 3 eras, means 15 different types of cards and the math just doesn't seem to work, unless there are 2 extra of each type for the original 4 towers and exactly 24 for the 5th tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woolvey wrote:
I hope this is true too, but you would expect 24 for the 5th tower, to match the other 4, which only leaves 24 to expand the (now) 5 towers. 5 towers and 3 eras, means 15 different types of cards and the math just doesn't seem to work, unless there are 2 extra of each type for the original 4 towers and exactly 24 for the 5th tower.

The math works if there are 24 cards are for the new tower -- to make it just like the others are now -- while the remaining new cards give variability to the original towers: 2 cards per tower, per period.

I'm assuming the whole purpose of the 5th tower is to add variability to the original game, not to add a 5th function that parallels what the other towers do. So it would make sense if that tower didn't have extra cards.

I'm excited for this because I didn't like that you would eventually start to just anticipate the cards you knew were coming in the second and third periods. If I'm right about the expansion, you won't be able to do that any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.