9 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Variants

Subject: Micro machine and scanned cards for Star Trek Attack Wing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebel Weems

Texas
msg tools
I am a new poster and I am looking to share information on Star Trek Attack Wing. I love the game but hate the tiny flemsy miniatures that cost 15.00 a piece at least. I have a ton of Star Trek Micro Machines which I am using. I wanted to ask if anyone else is disgusted by the cost and poor quality???

I see allot of card scans online that could easily be printed off and touched up with Photoshop. I am not wanting to infringe on licensing fees or break the law here, but lets face it not many of us can afford to spend hundreds of dollars on these poorly crafted miniatures.

I found some online xcel docs with the point values of vessles so that I could customize my on cards to save money. I have no intention of playing ternament so no worries there.

Can anyone share some "links" to scanned cards or great house rules???

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures don't cost $15 apiece. A miniature, plus several cards, plus several small punchboards costs $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
www.PlayWithSOAP.com
badge
Combat deck builder on customizable hex battlefield. 2-6 players 10+ around 20min/player.
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
The miniatures don't cost $15 apiece. A miniature, plus several cards, plus several small punchboards costs $15.

I second this! Most people largely underestimate just how much it takes to design, produce, package and distribute a product.

But if you aren't in the game for tournament or OP events then I recommend looking at the images tab for the individual ship expansions here on BGG. A lot of them have pictures of all of the cards that come with the set. I've uploaded a lot of these myself. Most can be fairly easily cropped and printed as proxy cards.

Another option is to use Utopia to build fleets with cards you don't have for fun and experimentation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebel Weems

Texas
msg tools
Thank you for sharing. I did not mean to sound petty about the miniatures. I get that for 15.00 bucks you get the miniature and cards so its technically worth it. I was just shocked at the lack of consistancy in the sizes of vessels. USS Enterprise vs the USS Reliant for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the inattention to scale is jarring, but only the Tinyprise truly offends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
I agree that the inattention to scale is jarring, but only the Tinyprise truly offends.

Agreed on the Tinyprise, and that was one of the handful of STAW models that I did replace with their Micromachine cousins. However, I did buy the STAW models for the stands, cards, and tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention that no on spends $15 on them anyway. You can easily find them online for $7-10.

You are paying for the tokens, cards, and other game components in addition to the model. I still look at it from the perspective that they are game pieces not collectors models. Considering in most games like this they would be cardboard tokens or something like that, I think the existing models are actually quite nice (though most could use a better paint job, but at least they are painted at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both my Wallet and storage solution are glad the ships are not to scale.

I do love my huge repainted Borg Cube and repainted DS9 though.

As for the tiny-prize... There are quite a few options to replace its model if you jump on eBay; below is my replacement for my Tiny-Prize which I painted up a few years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't know if this is helpful or not, but saw these "Star Trek Tactics" ships cheap at my game store and this crossed my mind

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:313093

You may check for at least good card text and design on Utopia, even if you have to shop in pictures

http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/#eyJzaGlwcyI6W119

Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.