Subject: Magnus III Bareleggs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the new Ireland edition we want to include Magnus III Bareleggs Invasion . Now in Britannia, Nations typically do not carry names of individuals. Williams invasion is one of Normans, Haralds invasion is one of Norwegians. Bad luck Magnus was also King of Norway.
Currently the Nation in our variant is called "Royal Norwegians". I am not happy with the name. Any good ideas / suggestions would be welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus was the grandson of Harald Hardrada. He ruled beyond the end date of the game (1080) after 1100, when the aggressive bugger invaded Ireland.

So in fact they are Norwegians too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anemaat wrote:
Magnus was the grandson of Harald Hardrada. He ruled beyond the end date of the game (1080) after 1100, when the aggressive bugger invaded Ireland. So in fact they are Norwegians too.

Yes indeed, you have described the problem very well. However there cannot be two different Nations of the same name, hence my requist for clever ideas for slightly different names. In an earlier Variant of Brit3, the corresponding Scoresheet read "Magnus III Barelegs" - however, as said, I did not want to have the name of an individual as a Nation identifier. Although it would make sense for the last three more organized invasions.

Also note, that "Across the Narrow Seas" extends the last period to 1103.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they of the same color as Hardrada's Norwegians? Can they fight each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H Harengel
Germany
Greven
Münsterland
flag msg tools
this geek loves strategy games
badge
this is an old photography of the young man
mbmbmbmbmb
millenium_baby wrote:
[q="anemaat"]However there cannot be two different Nations of the same name

If they have different colors, it is possible and they can fight.

If they have the same color, it is the same nation. The only little problem I see here is if you want to give them different number of counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the "Across the Narrow Seas" variant, Magnus's nation, currently called "Royal Norwegians," is Blue.

While technically he can attack Hardrada's Yellow units when he appears in round 16 in the Icelandic Sea, IIRC his points are mostly in north and west Scotland and north and east Ireland, in areas normally occupied at that time by mostly Yellow (Scots) and Red (Norsemen & any surviving Brigantes), and maybe Green (any surviving Caledonians & Ui Niell).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason not to call them Norwegians as well but that's just my opinion.
Quote:
While technically he can attack Hardrada's Yellow units when he appears in round 16 in the Icelandic Sea, IIRC his points are mostly in north and west Scotland and north and east Ireland, in areas normally occupied at that time by mostly Yellow (Scots) and Red (Norsemen & any surviving Brigantes), and maybe Green (any surviving Caledonians & Ui Niell).

Hmm. in Britannia sometimes it's more about depriving someone else his points/reducing his armies, so I doubt yuo can really avoid such Norwegians vs Norwegians fights but of course I can't say that for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
adalbert wrote:
I don't see any reason not to call them Norwegians as well but that's just my opinion.

Being a different color, it seems confusing to have Yellow Norwegians and Blue Norwegians.

Quote:

Hmm. in Britannia sometimes it's more about depriving someone else his points/reducing his armies, so I doubt yuo can really avoid such Norwegians vs Norwegians fights but of course I can't say that for sure. [/q]

We're not really trying to avoid Norwegian vs Royal Norwegian fighting on purpose - it's just how the areas Magnus pursued historically play out in the game.

In general, when I play Brit, I will block other players scoring point areas if it will not affect or only marginally affect my scoring, but choosing to deprive another player of points at the cost of losing points for yourself is rarely smart. Since the Norwegians don't even care where they are in round 16 - all areas are 2 points each, so there's no juicy areas worth kicking them out of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Makarewicz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In the "Across the Narrow Seas" variant, Magnus's nation, currently called "Royal Norwegians," is Blue.

On your scoring track (files section) they're yellow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adalbert wrote:
Quote:

On your scoring track (files section) they're yellow

Yes, old file, they have changed sides a couple of times. Note also, that they have landing restrictions, "Royal Norwegians may not land in England". This should avoid conflict with Haralds Norwegians, which would be pretty weird indeed.

Any name suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HHarengel wrote:
millenium_baby wrote:
[q="anemaat"]However there cannot be two different Nations of the same name

If they have different colors, it is possible and they can fight.

If they have the same color, it is the same nation. The only little problem I see here is if you want to give them different number of counters.

the more substantial problem is that the two are very different invasors, who move separately with very different historical objectives. They simply can not be the same nation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.