Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
If you can't beat the heat... You're not Jack Sly.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game being designed for this Mint Tin contest...
[Tic-Tac Edition Components File Here]
[Altoids Edition Components File Here]

Sample Cards from the Game

I loved working on EverSquad during the summer. I released 2 EverSquad games during the 2017 Solitaire Print & Play Contest. This game represents the 3rd in that line of games.

This game is a more direct sequel to EverSquad, featuring 3 of the old heroes: Cortez, Meeple Max, and the General. As the story goes, everything has fallen quiet in New Meepleton after the rift was sealed, and the remaining alien threats were eliminated. Cortez has returned to taking contracts with his helicopter. The General has gone back to piles of paper-work in the line of duty. And Meeple Max has gone back to whatever it is a Superhero/Xenobiologist does when there are no alien threats.
Meeple Max wrote:
Delivering pizzas, and living in Mama Meeple's basement,
playing RPG's with my imaginary friends, and wishing life was more exciting.
Well, fortunately, Meeple Max has his wish. Another alien threat, the alien Queen of Ameti, has taken an interest in New Meepleton. And the threat may just be too much for three heroes to handle. Fortunately, they receive help from an unlikely source, Zatalia, another alien who considers the Ameti a mutual enemy. Soon, the heroes discover another mysterious fighter in their midst, a teen hacker and drifter calling herself Nova. You control this new team of heroes.

The game utilizes an action draft mechanic, with an energy cost system. The cards are playable by all heroes, but different heroes will gain greater use from certain cards. During any game, you will choose 3 of the 5 heroes to represent your team. This makes it possible to experience the game 10 ways. A typical game lasts about 5 turns (though may be shorter or longer), or about 15 minutes. But the more you play, the more familiar with your team you will become. There are also 9 villain cards which may make each game further unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] EverSquad Incursion - [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest Entry] - IDEA PHASE
First playtest was tonight. I loved most of it. But one of my cards was extremely OP for the character set I was using.
The game worked as intended. But within 3 rounds I had won.

This was the card. I used it with Cortez, who had 9 energy by that point. The Queen had 1 Minion and 4 health, so he easily took her out, since Minions reduce Queen's health by 1.
I think the problem seems to be in 2 things.
1) Every card is available within 3 turns. I actually like the variety, and it seems the villain cards are a fair match. But perhaps I may need to move the top card to the bottom of the deck each phase, simply so that not all cards are available. (Tough to figure out with just 10 Action cards, but I do think that's the right number of cards for this particular game, given the tin restriction.)
2) The key was, at some point, to reduce the heroes to desperate need for energy boost, but at present, they seem to be getting as much energy as they need. The other solution might be to remove the energy bonus from removing minions. (Ideally, I will have the rule-set and V1.0 of components up soon so others can help me problem solve.)
The good news is that the game plays very smoothly, and it was what I imagined it would be, so I'm pleased with that outcome; that should make the rules easier to generate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] EverSquad Incursion - [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest Entry] - Early Edition COMPONENTS AVAILABLE
Early Edition Components are available now. (SEE OP.)
Please keep in mind, there is likely much that needs to be improved about these rules. I would be grateful for your generous feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blaylock
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Rukus Games
badge
Rukus Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] EverSquad Incursion - [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest Entry] - Early Edition COMPONENTS AVAILABLE
I don't see the link to the files. I'm excited about this one. I've got the solitaire game on my list to start playing this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that. The link is right under the top one for the contest. It's in brackets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, playtesting tonight yielded some interesting results.
1) I got my behind handed to me in my first game.
I cannot tell you how thrilling it is to know that this can happen in my games. I know some of you may not like that as much, but my motto is "If I can't lose, it's not a game."
2) Twice in a row, I have found that the card Rapid Fire is too OP when the General is in play. I think I may need to reduce his bonus effect somewhat, because he's going to target the queen, and that will generally result in a win for the team within two rounds. (I want the game to be quick, but not that quick.) I think the best thing I can hope to do with that card is possibly add a defensive effect.
3) I need to reduce the number of times "Unblockable" appears in my game. If the Minions' sole purpose is to stop the Queen from dying, and more than 1/2 of the attacks are "Unblockable", they aren't doing a very good job.
4) I'm also thinking there should be an additional negative effect when an alien spawns. I may add an effect where, when a Minion spawns, you reveal the top card of the Peril deck, and if the targeted hero is in play, the hero receives the basic effect only (not the boosted attack) immediately. (There are other options as well, but I'll obviously need to give it some more thought.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
Combat deck builder on customizable hex battlefield.
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed out a set today and had several suggestions and questions. I sent you a PM. Looking forward to seeing your development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tyson.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also learned something from the math geniuses. There's no benefit at all to placing the good cards over the bad cards. All I need to do is create a draw pile, with a separate drafting pile of good cards.
On the other hand, I could place ratings on the backs of the cards, so that the most powerful cards are ranked higher than the weakest cards. It would give some detail about the cards without revealing the full effect.
Of course, there could only ever be 2 ranks, since anything more than that would give away which card belonged to which character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EPIPHANY!!!
So, after I discovered that I had messed up some mental equations, I decided to simplify.
Now, you will still have the draft phase of 4 cards. But a single Peril Card (since they were always going to be random anyway) will effect all heroes at once. This will simplify the process down. There will still be targeted attacks, since hey, if a hero is in play, a hero is in play, but now 60% of said attacks will actually mean something, rather than 1 in 11 occurences.
I am adjusting down the difficulty somewhat. I am also doing this little beauty.

On rare occasion, the deck will have a card [like maybe 1 in the 11] that requires you to draw a second card. But when you get to the 5th minion in play, now you will draw (at least) 2 cards every turn. With a slim chance of drawing 3. devil
There is a benefit, however. Whereas you will no longer gain energy from defeating that bottom minion, you will gain energy in increased amounts for Minions with greater health.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this idea, and enjoyed seeing your EverSquad evolve in the Solo Contest!
Have you tried to fit all the components into your tin yet?
My main concern is the rules. I would suggest a format change...Maybe smaller font and also a narrow column so you can fold it accordion-style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's going to fit like a dream, Mike.
My biggest question is where to find tiny Love Letter sized cubes. Although, conveniently, with the recent edits, all you need are 13 cubes (coincidentally the same number of tiny cubes as are in Love Letter).
I will consider more about the rules later. If needed, I will remove the introduction. (Though that was the most fun part to write.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah what the heck, time for teasers.
This is what the newest version of the Nova Card (XnX) looks like.
(Others have similar designs. Although hers is the only one to have the circuitry in the background.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
It's going to fit like a dream, Mike.
My biggest question is where to find tiny Love Letter sized cubes.

Your local bead store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Because I am crazy, and because Cortez made me do it...
No se.
I was able to put all of the cards, and the components inside of a tic-tac container. devil Now, I'll undoubtedly have to go to the judges for this next part. If I use sticker paper, I may well be able to (In 200 words or less), create rules for the front and back of the dispenser. (Since a Tic-Tac dispenser will actually fit inside of an Altoids dispenser, I'm betting they'll have to allow it either way, but I'm going to go to the judges for the fairness of it.) Since the VAST majority of my rule-book is fluff anyway, I'm betting I could simplify down to 200 words. 100 for set-up (front); 100 for play (back); Top is for EVERSQUAD LABEL; left side is for credits. Right side is play-time, number of players, and recommended age. Bottom is so you can startle your friends by showing them that there really is a game inside this dispenser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tested, and the new hero score cards...

are legible at 1.6x2.1
which is small enough to fit in the dispenser.
This is no longer just joking around.
I'm going to do it.
If I need more space, I can always go up to the regulation size for the contest.
But now that I'm revamping the Peril cards anyhow (on account of only 1 card will be drawn per round), I can actually drop the number of Peril cards down to 8 or 9, giving me space for 2 additional cards of rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid to say it just wouldn't be possible to put the rules on the box. There's just too many.
In other news: KABOOM! Tada!

Please find the updated components at the link in the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, initial play-testing has resulted in one major flaw.
At least 3 of my Hero Cards were still WAY OP. I attempted to tweak these down some, though I'm not sure whether it's enough.
(Please, keep in mind play-testers, if you want to play a really nice fun EverSquad game, check back in October. blush But if you're in it with me for the long haul, I'm very grateful. ) Check link in OP for updated file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could still doe the rules on the outside as a wrap-around sheet.

It would be sort of like a scroll and I've seen it on some other items that I can't specify right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Set it up like a medicine bottle with the instructions on the outside in a booklet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those adjustments I made to the game did improve the experience, but still it felt like just a matter of time before I scored the win. I want to bring my heroes closer to the point where I'm not certain whether they are going to pull out a victory. (That's part of the fun of a Solitaire Game.)

Here's what I know...
Though different enough given card count, character health, automatic special abilities, action drafting, etc, the game carries some similarities to Sentinels of the Multiverse. I'm trying my best to keep my distance, but it's still a concern. (Actually, considering I'm not a major fan of the game, because I've rarely ever lost, which makes me question whether it is in fact a game, it's kind of surprising I'm using it as a model in the back of my mind.) Nevertheless, I'm going to make that analogy just so you can get the comparison.

In Sentinels, just about every character starts somewhere between 27-31 health. The villain generally has significantly more. My point? Say you adjust a hero with 27 health down to 26 health. Is that earth shattering? Not really. (Less than a 4% decrease.)
On the other hand, say you adjust a hero with 7 health down to 6. (That's a 15% decrease.)
When I'm working with much smaller numbers, any seemingly small tweak is going to have significant results. Now, multiply that exponentially. Because a Peril card now effects every hero at the same time, if I adjust a card so that all heroes lose 3 health instead of all heroes lose 2 health, that becomes a significant change. (Talking 33% boost in a Peril Card's power.) Now that may seem like 1 card. But therein lies the problem. Say that 1 card doesn't show up in a game. (My most recent game I played 5 rounds, which again was a MUCH BETTER EXPERIENCE, but still, there were 3 cards from the Peril deck that were never even seen. If I increase 1 card's power, and that card doesn't appear in the game, how much impact did that change make?
Inversely, say I applied that change to multiple cards. Say I choose 3 Peril cards to increase in attack strength. Now we're talking a reasonably significant difference if 1 of those cards shows up in game, an even greater significance if 2 of those cards show up in a game, and if all 3 show up in the same game, the results would be catastrophic.

Let's look at another issue.
I played my most recent game without Cortez, whose current ability is to grant every hero 1 energy during the Special Ability Phase.
I just played a game without Cortez, but I used The General (Tank), Meeple Max (DPS), and Zatalia (Healer) which I drew at random. The problem? At no point in the game did I ever run remotely close to losing energy on a single hero. If Cortez is out of play, the effects should be noticed. If any character is out of play, the game should feel like something's missing, giving that extra challenge of "How will I survive without him?" If not, the effect is wasted.
As stated these are significant issues, because in a game where each hero has 30 energy, and you reduce that by 1 energy, you're talking a 3% change. But in a game where each hero has 5-6 energy, if you reduce that by 1, you're into major numbers, a 17-20% change. That particular change may still be worth doing. I will look more into that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm pleased to say, I think I finally struck a reasonable balance. Due to the significant updates (mostly text), I'm calling this one Version 2.5. And, I think there's enough there to play for a while. (I personally had 2 very satisfying game sessions in a row with these new components.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I created a small logo to put on a sticker for the tic-tac box, would anyone actually use it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I played-tested the game and I have few questions.

can you specify the difference between:
- Damage a minion (I assume the minion loses 1 life point)
- Defeat a Minion (I assume the minion is removed)
- Remove a minion (I assume the same as Defeat a minion)

After the third draw there are only 3 action cards left, it is not 100% clear to me how you want to manage the deck and discard cards.

How to differentiate the tracking of an Unblockable Damage to a Normal Damage?

If the Queen gets 2 Normal Damages and then 1 Unblockable Damage and assuming 3 minions are in place how is reduced the damage by the Queen after the Action resolution phase?

I think few more Action cards would make the game more interesting.

Cheers!
Ste
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Stefano,
I always struggle most with rules writing.
When a minion is defeated or removed, this is treated the same way, by removing a minion marker of your choice from a card.

In the example you gave for the Queen's Damage, each active minion would reduce her standard damage by 1. The standard attacks won't get through, so the Queen only receives the 1 unblockable damage.

As for Action Cards, I think you're right, to some degree. It would go a long way towards replayability. But if I add too many, the game could become imbalanced, so I am cautious about adding more cards. It would, regardless, likely be in 5 card increments, so that each hero received 1 new card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |