Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Brute Movement Card Clarification (Spoilers for early-level Brute card) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miles Hubble
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey all, I was wondering about a possible interpretation of the Level 3 Brute card
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Hook and Chain." The bottom is a "Move 4" that lets you "Attack X," X being the amount of hexes you moved with the action, but only if the movement was in a straight line.

My question is: Would moving back and forth four times from where you're standing (like left-right left-right) and ending in the same hex count as moving 4 in a straight line? If this is the case, it would turn the bottom into essentially an "Attack 4" action if you didn't need to move with it.

I'm torn because there are some cards (Mindthief's feedback loop I believe) that specify effects that occur if you end your move where you began, which seems to suggest that movement, unlike push or pull, does not require that you end up further away from where you began. But is it still a straight line if you change direction?

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn B
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not the first one who asked this. But it's difficult to find because it's not in the FAQ.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740971/straight-line-movem...

Note the answer Isaac Childres (game creator) gives.

Cephalofair wrote:
No, a straight line means you don't change direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-Bit Bastard
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
“That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I both love and hate hook and chain. When you can achieve the bull rush attack it is awesome. but more often then not the way things are positioned it doesn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Voegtli

Arizona
msg tools
Imagine moving 5 feet to your left then 5 feet to your right and then 2 more times. Did you do this without altering the direction of your movement? No. That means common sense tells us this isn't how it's supposed to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Hubble
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Thanks! I couldn't find mention of it anywhere else. I guess that card is a little less appealing to me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Roe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this card very handy when I played the Brute and used it for both the top and bottom action often. The way I pictured the bottom action thematically was
Spoiler (click to reveal)
instead of hooking and pulling the enemy toward you, as in the top action, you pull yourself toward the enemy.

It might be a little bit of a stretch to interpret it that way but it does make sense of why you need to move in a straight line and not just back and forth. The bottom of this card was often the Brute's first action of the scenario, since I could usually position him at the start to maximize its effect. In combination with Boots of Striding you can move up, hit for 6, and then still have another attack on the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.