Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A character from one of the expansions has as her ability:
Gain 1 point per different type of card you have collected by the end of the game.

This inspired my idea:
Why not add a new Achievement (to the Bather, Chatterbox, Gourmet, Shopper):

The Sampler (or maybe The Well-rounded Traveller)

It would be 3 points just like the other ones, and it would be awarded to the player who collected the most types of cards.

I like this idea thematically because the game is about having the most fulfilling journey.

And I like it from strategic standpoint, because you usually have a better chance of winning if you concentrate on just a few types of cards you collect. So this Achievement would give some incentive to diversify.

What are your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Moron
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it.
But how would you deal with ties?
I haven't played that many times, but I think that most of the time everybody gers every type of card (at least w/ the base game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alemoron wrote:
I liked it.
But how would you deal with ties?
I haven't played that many times, but I think that most of the time everybody gers every type of card (at least w/ the base game).

In my experience it is better strategically to focus on only a few types of cards. If you paint panoramas, concentrate on that. If you want souvenirs, concentrate on that, etc.

As for dealing with ties? Same as with the other achievements: Every tied player gets the 3 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea - but I agree with some of the other comments that many times most players will have gotten at least one card of each type available in the game.

Perhaps a better twist on your proposed variant is awarding points to the person that has the most achievement cards at the end? Rewards the diversity element but greatly diminishes the possibility of ties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chapman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I really like this twist where the players must earn the most achievement cards! Great idea! Prevents players from meerly landing on each type of space solely for obtaining a card. All players must strive to our gain achievements for each type of card and thus encourages more competitive jostling for spaces and blocking to prevent others from completing an achievement.
Will try this variation the next time I play! Thanks for the suggestion Maklen9!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad that you found a new variant to try.

However, this precisely counteracts what I had in mind.

Players who concentrate on specific cards already get an achievement (and an edge in scoring). The player who gets the most achievements already has a high likelyhood of winning in my experience. So there is no need to give them even more points.

It's also strange to me that many apparently are used to getting every type of card. I haven't played the base game without any expansions in quite a while. So maybe my idea works best when playing with the expansion(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.