Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Skelebone, Tedward, Candy, and Alicia.

We set up the Settlers board and gave Candy the indoctrination as she was the only new player. Additionally, this was only the second game for Tedward, and the first multi-player game for Alicia (we had previously played a couple of two-person games to familiarize her with the rules). The game got underway, with everyone save Tedward dropping settlements on the 6 & 8 hexes.

Play got underway with a lot of road-building. As it turned out, this game proved to be quite a learning experience as I had mis-read the rules and had been playing a bit wrong. First, I had mis-read the bit about the ports with the resource pictures. I understood that to be that you could turn in any two resources of a single type and get the resource pictured. After a consultation with the rules, I discovered that it is acutally to turn in two resources of the pictured type and receive and different resource. Quite an impact on the game since I had a settlement on the lumber port when we discovered this, and I later was in position to produce quite a number of forests to fuel my engine. The second mis-interpretation was that I had read the rules to say that players with seven or more had to discard when the robber was rolled, but after a re-read, the rules actually say "players with more than seven", thus eliminating a little discarding.

Back in the game, Candy was learning quickly, and lamented that she should have picked better settlement placement, while Tedward was quickly being sqeezed into a corner of the board as Candy and Alicia built roads that nearly completely choked off his route out. The robber bounced around between sixes and eights, occasionally dropping on Tedwards 10, on which he had three settlements gathering wheat as well as a 3:1 port. I had pretty good positioning and eventually built roads and was pulling resources off of each of the 6 and 8 hexes. For a long time, grain was the commodity to have, primarily for settlement building. All the roads led to a lot of settlements without anyone claiming the Longest Road chit. As it turns out, I was the only player to upgrade to a city, probably due to the relative scarcity of grain, or it's tendency to be used to purchase development cards whenever it became available. In the end, I was able to pull out the win from a combination of settlements and my lone city, plus two development point cards and a last-turn purchase of four roads to claim the Longest Road chit.

Final:
Skelebone
Tedward
Alicia-Candy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.