Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are playing through the "An Ancient Evil Arises" campaign. Today we played the "Bodyguards" adventure and discovered a typo that kind of ruined our first play of the adventure. So I wanted to warn others.

There is a prologue for the adventure and it says in bold at the end of the prologue to play to the end of scene two and then read some more information below. Elsewhere in the book it says not to look ahead, so I did not read the next lines. We proceed to play through the first two scenes and then return to the sidebar to see it start with "At the start of scene two...". My wife and I were very confused and the rules that followed didn't make any sense with what else was going on. We finally came to the conclusion (though we have not confirmed it) that the text at the end of the prologue should say "play to the end of scene one, then read the sidebar below". If someone who has played the campaign can confirm that they agree, that would be great, but I wanted to keep others from getting spoiled/confused like we were and it kind of ruined our first attempt since we didn't know what to do.

TL;DR: I'm pretty sure that the bold text at the end of the prologue should read "Play to the end of scene one" instead of "play to the end of scene two". This will save you a lot of headache.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kag'Gar Merritt
msg tools
I can confirm the bold text in the campaign towards the bottom of page 4 does seem to be a typo. I believe you are correct it should read "Play to the end of scene two one, then read the sidebar below".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI Terror in the Catacombs has the exact same error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Pollard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
In addition, there is a confusing statement as one of the additional challenges you can do.

*Hamstrung: Start the Noble with 1 HP (his starting HP is unchanged).

I believe the intent is that the Nobles total HP is unchanged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerensky18 wrote:
In addition, there is a confusing statement as one of the additional challenges you can do.

*Hamstrung: Start the Noble with 1 HP (his starting HP is unchanged).

I believe the intent is that the Nobles total HP is unchanged.

Sounds like The Client to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dominski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I emailed the creator of the game and actually that is correct but the sidebar should say "the start of Scene Three".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Man
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting. That would also change when it automatically leaves play (to basically right when you win the scenario) but makes a little more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yardswimmer wrote:
I emailed the creator of the game and actually that is correct but the sidebar should say "the start of Scene Three".

... and, presumably, it should read "Scene Three ends" at the end of that paragraph.

Wrong, never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
yardswimmer wrote:

... and, presumably, it should read "Scene Three ends" at the end of that paragraph.

Nah, it should reference the end of Scene 2 at the end of that paragraph as it refers to the end of Round 4. That adventure has 3 scenes and there's still one more Scene after Round 4. Check the Noble card for that Adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
yardswimmer wrote:

Nah, it should reference the end of Scene 2 at the end of that paragraph as it refers to the end of Round 4. That adventure has 3 scenes and there's still one more Scene after Round 4. Check the Noble card for that Adventure.

? whu...? The scene that begins after Round 4 is "Scene 3," as the card clearly says. That's the last scene there will be. (Which is why you get 5 xp if you complete the adventure. 1 per scene, then +2 for completing.)

Edit -- I'm wrong, never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
DoctaWho wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
yardswimmer wrote:

? whu...? The scene that begins after Round 4 is "Scene 3," as the card clearly says. That's the last scene there will be. (Which is why you get 5 xp if you complete the adventure. 1 per scene, then +2 for completing.)

Aren't we saying the same thing? We're both saying there are 3 scenes. I was just noting that I believe the end of the paragraph in the campaign booklet is correct; namely, "Scene Two ends." But now I'm away and can't double check.

Edit: Or were you not talking about the end of the paragraph in the booklet but on the adventure card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince R.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, we're spinning up an old conversation here (this string ended in September and was just picked up again yesterday/today). This has actually been addressed in the errata:

An Ancient Evil Arises Campaign Book
On page 4, in the sidebar, change “the start of Scene Two” to: “the start of Scene Three.”

This is the only correction to that listed, so presumably the only thing that needs fixing (having not gotten there yet, I can't take a look at EXACTLY what that means yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctaWho wrote:
Aren't we saying the same thing? We're both saying there are 3 scenes. I was just noting that I believe the end of the paragraph in the campaign booklet is correct; namely, "Scene Two ends." But now I'm away and can't double check.

You're right! I'm dumb. I was confusing "Round 4" with the final round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rather than starting a new thread, I hope it's ok if I post my question here, as it is relevant to the original discussion.

Regarding Akshasa, the errata says, On page 4, in the sidebar, change “the start of Scene Two” to: “the start of Scene Three.”

Doing so, changes page 4 to read as follows:

PLAY TO THE END OF SCENE TWO, THEN READ THE SIDEBAR BELOW
"At the start of Scene Three, in place of the first revealed encounter, use the Rakshasa Difficulty 3 encounter card. The Rakshasa will remain active for two rounds. It can be defeated, or left as the last encounter. At the end of Round 4, or when the Rakshasa is alone, Scene Two ends.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I still find this confusing.

It seems like the designer's original intent was for the Rakshasa to show up at the end of Scene One, remain active for Rounds 3 and 4, and then leave. How else can you explain "Rakshasa will remain active for two rounds" and "At the end of Round 4"? With the Rakshasa showing up at the start of Round 5, those two phrases seem to lose their meaning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Principia

Reston
Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lSweetJusticel wrote:
Rather than starting a new thread, I hope it's ok if I post my question here, as it is relevant to the original discussion.

Regarding Akshasa, the errata says, On page 4, in the sidebar, change “the start of Scene Two” to: “the start of Scene Three.”

Doing so, changes page 4 to read as follows:

PLAY TO THE END OF SCENE TWO, THEN READ THE SIDEBAR BELOW
"At the start of Scene Three, in place of the first revealed encounter, use the Rakshasa Difficulty 3 encounter card. The Rakshasa will remain active for two rounds. It can be defeated, or left as the last encounter. At the end of Round 4, or when the Rakshasa is alone, Scene Two ends.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I still find this confusing.

It seems like the designer's original intent was for the Rakshasa to show up at the end of Scene One, remain active for Rounds 3 and 4, and then leave. How else can you explain "Rakshasa will remain active for two rounds" and "At the end of Round 4"? With the Rakshasa showing up at the start of Round 5, those two phrases seem to lose their meaning.

I believe the intent was that people would extrapolate the corrected Round numbers from the placement of the Rakshasa at the start of Scene Three.

It's possible that you are correct, and originally-originally they plopped the Rakshasa towards the start of the adventure. They may have found during playtesting that having people only play a couple of rounds before running into the possible calamity of having The Noble get kidnapped to another plane either felt like too fast of a brick wall to run into, or was too easily surmounted by a party that had faced little opposition so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Principia wrote:
I believe the intent was that people would extrapolate the corrected Round numbers from the placement of the Rakshasa at the start of Scene Three.
I think you're almost certainly correct. I guess my question, though, is why the errata doesn't just say, On page 4, change the sidebar to: "At the start of Scene Three, in place of the first revealed encounter, use the Rakshasa Difficulty 3 encounter card." Because everything after that first sentence doesn't mean anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to know that we had actually played it correctly, despite the typo in the booklet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiss Balázs Kunó
Hungary
Fót
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question about this scenario (sorry for my bad enlgish)

EVERY encounter go to front of noble OR "start" with the noble (as the rulebook says)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, having read this thread, I'm MUCH more confused than when we started.

The Rakshasa appears at the start of scene 3. Right?

In that case, the references to rounds 3 and 4 make no sense whatsoever. Why on earth would they only errata half the problem? Also, why did the designer email someone saying it should appear at the start of scene 2??

We'd assumed it was start of scene 2, based on the round numbers. In the course of round 3, we'd managed to draw all the other encounters away from the noble, and weren't sure whether we were therefore supposed to skip round 4??

Also, what does "the Rakshasa remains active for 2 rounds mean??? What happens if you meet one of the conditions to end the scene before the 2 rounds are up?

So...

If we have the Rakshasa turn up on turn 3, and we isolate it, do we then jump straight to turn 5?? If we do, does the Rakshasa stay in play?

If we assume that the errata is correct in making it appear on round 5, and that we therefore need to do a load more errata-ing which they couldn't be bothered with, "Round 4" becomes "Round 6" and "Scene 2" becomes Scene 3. If we isolate it on round 5, do we win the scenario immediately???

Also, does "alone" mean "with no other encounters" or "no other encounters AND the opposing character has been Planeshifted"???

I get that printing errors/typos happen, but what's the point of issuing an errata that doesn't fix things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Ok, having read this thread, I'm MUCH more confused than when we started.

The Rakshasa appears at the start of scene 3. Right?

In that case, the references to rounds 3 and 4 make no sense whatsoever. Why on earth would they only errata half the problem? Also, why did the designer email someone saying it should appear at the start of scene 2??

We'd assumed it was start of scene 2, based on the round numbers. In the course of round 3, we'd managed to draw all the other encounters away from the noble, and weren't sure whether we were therefore supposed to skip round 4??

Also, what does "the Rakshasa remains active for 2 rounds mean??? What happens if you meet one of the conditions to end the scene before the 2 rounds are up?

So...

If we have the Rakshasa turn up on turn 3, and we isolate it, do we then jump straight to turn 5?? If we do, does the Rakshasa stay in play?

If we assume that the errata is correct in making it appear on round 5, and that we therefore need to do a load more errata-ing which they couldn't be bothered with, "Round 4" becomes "Round 6" and "Scene 2" becomes Scene 3. If we isolate it on round 5, do we win the scenario immediately???

Also, does "alone" mean "with no other encounters" or "no other encounters AND the opposing character has been Planeshifted"???

I get that printing errors/typos happen, but what's the point of issuing an errata that doesn't fix things?

I think the errata was incomplete and the Rakshasa should arrive in Scene III and remain for two rounds.

Page 8 of the errata reinforces that the are indeed talking about Scene III:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Quote:
ERRATA & FAQ
BODYGUARDS
A: If Rakshasa planeshifts the Noble, what happens?
B: If Rakshasa damages the Noble, the noble is automatically plane- shifted because it must make two Skill Checks and under the rules for the Noble on the Adventure card, the Noble automatically fails Skill Checks. However, under Completing the Adventure on the back of the card, the text
says “If the Noble has at least 1 HP when the Progress Track reaches the seventh round, the Noble has reached has destination and the Adventure is completed immediately.” And the Rakshasa’s text says “Player automat- ically returns if Rakshasa is defeated,” which means if the players defeat the Rakshasa the Noble is automatically returned. However, if the players cannot defeat the Rakshasa and return the Noble to the game before the seventh round begins, then the Adventure ends in defeat, with the Noble doomed to wander a different plane.

It specifically mentions the deadline of the seventh round, which puts the active Rhakshasa in rounds five and six.

I’m a bit confused by your post though. It sounds like you’re considering just putting the Encounters off the Noble as equivalent to defeating the Encounters. You still need to defeat Encounters by play damage against their Damage Tracks. If there are Encounters in play, nothing ends early. You have to survive each round and new Encounters are revealed as the rounds progress.

Am I misreading or misunderstanding you post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok.

I'd taken "alone" to mean it was the only encounter in front of a given character, rather than the only encounter at all.

That makes a lot more sense with the extra bit of the FAQ - I'd only seen the bit quoted above.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kindt Dalzen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Ah, ok.

I'd taken "alone" to mean it was the only encounter in front of a given character, rather than the only encounter at all.

That makes a lot more sense with the extra bit of the FAQ - I'd only seen the bit quoted above.

Thanks.

Happy to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.