Popular Tags: [View All]
Eugene Png
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi thriends,

The time has come to introduce you to the next Geek of the Week. Actually, I wonder if he really needs an introduction. I really enjoyed the games designed by him. He is none other than,

Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's what he said about himself,

Richard Breese wrote:
Firstly thanks to Eugene for putting me forward for the honour of being Geek of the Week.

I’m an accountant by profession. I’m currently Finance Director at a commercial property development company. Since 1989 in my spare time I’ve been designing and publishing games through my own company R&D Games. My first game Chamelequin was published in 1989 and that creature features in the current R&D Games logo. Subsequent designs include Aladdin's Dragons, Fowl Play!, Inhabit the Earth, Reef Encounter, The BoardGameGeek Game and the Key-series of games.

The games in the Key-series include Keydom, which is widely recognised as the first Worker Placement game, Keythedral (a former BGG top 100 game) and Keyflower (currently a BGG top 50 game). This year's new title Keyper is currently in production and next year’s (2018) Key game, co-designed with Sebastian Bleasdale and Ian Vincent and provisionally entitled Key Flow, is almost finalised. The Key games (with the exception of last year's Key to the City: London) are all based in the mythical land of Keydom with a family friendly, non-violent theme. Player interaction is indirect, through the game mechanics, and actions create positive, not negative outcomes which are all traits I prefer in the games I play.

My sister Juliet Breese was the illustrator on most of the R&D games, which are well known for their distinctive and appealing style, but she has recently retired. This year Vicki Dalton has stepped up fill the role for the Keyper graphics.

I currently split my time between South West London and Stratford upon Avon – Shakespeare’s birthplace – which is located in the beautiful Warwickshire countryside and where two of my three sons and playtesters live. I enjoy running, soccer, Eurogaming and wondering if Jon and Daenerys will live happily together ever after!

Poll
Which of these statements is not the truth?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
In my younger days I was a biker. As an accountant I was the only trainee with a bike allowance! One year I was invited to be a bouncer at a series of gigs by David Bowie at Earl’s Court in London. I arrived at the gigs as usual through the heavy traffic by bike. On the second night I was manning the front lower tier. Shortly after the concert had started Brian May, Roger Taylor, John Deacon of Queen arrived with their partners to take their seats. By then, unsurprisingly, these seats had already been taken by others. Fortunately the two gentlemen who were manning the block with me were even taller than my six foot four inches and were also somewhat bulkier, so re-claiming the seats was not too problematical. After the interval my colleges seemed to have much fun catching fans jumping over the first tier barrier to reach the stage. Happily on day three I was assigned a much less onerous position in the back upper balcony and got to see the whole of the concert in relative peace together with a ticketless friend who had ridden pillion on my bike and whom I had talked through security.
29.8% 31
A few years later, travelling back to England late on a Sunday evening on my way back from the Essen Spiel one of my rear tyres burst near Antwerp. I ended up travelling along the motorway sideways. Fortunately I came to rest in the hard shoulder. Unfortunately I no longer had any tyres. Luckily another motorist had seen my predicament and stopped to help and offer me a lift. By happy coincidence he and his passengers were travelling to London. The couple in the front moved a large plant pot into the ladies’ passenger seat that had been nestling between their sound asleep young children in the back. I squeezed into the gap in the back of the car with a little of my luggage. The driver was starting a new job on the Monday. They were desperate to get back overnight. There was a severe storm blowing and when we reached Dover all boats had been cancelled. We attempted the Channel tunnel, but all the trains had been cancelled due to the wind. So we returned to the ferry port to wait. The driver and his passenger immediately fell fast asleep. At the same moment the three year old girl and the two year old boy in the back seats woke up either side of me, the girl desperate for the loo! Unable to wake the adults I took the two kids into the storm to the car park loo and spent the rest of the night engaged in nonsensical conversation. Happily I was able to use my ferry ticket – I had no car, my rescuers had no ticket – and also bought them some fuel as a thank you. With young kids we were given boarding priority. Now late-morning I left my new young friends in South London in order to get a tube train for the next leg of my journey home. Only to find when I reached the ticket office that the storm had resulted in all the tube trains also being cancelled!
34.6% 36
Before our sons arrived, Dawn and I used to play Talisman most Friday nights. All of the characters from the first edition and all of its expansions were entered into knockout tournaments. We played four complete tournaments together (over 500 games). The Prophetess won two tournaments, the Monk and Warrior of Chaos one each. I love Gary Chalk’s first edition cover and black and white card illustrations. I had recalled seeing a poster of the first edition cover in a UK games shop when the game was first published. Over twenty years later I revisited the games shop and mentioned the poster. The owner’s partner who was behind the counter said come with me. And there, behind the shop’s back entrance, the poster was still hanging. After much persuasion I was able to buy the poster and it now hangs with pride of place in my study.
35.6% 37
Voters 104
This poll is now closed.   104 answers
Poll created by BayushiKira
Closes: Mon Sep 4, 2017 6:00 am

Next are some questions to get you started!

1. What are your feelings about becoming the board game GotW?

2. What is your favourite board game?

3. Who do you think should be the one who sits on the Iron Throne?

4. Will you ever visit Singapore?

5. What advice would you give to someone with no idea what they wanted to do with their life?

6. Will you ever reprint some of the old games that you have designed?

7. Are you having fun yet? (You may want to answer this one again next Sunday.)

Enjoy your time in the limelight!

With warmest regards,
Eugene

----------

Click here for more information on the Geek of the Week process.
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
We are the primitive Aliens, oh yes we are.
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations Richard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Richard!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Richard,

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Eugene,

Firstly, thank you for choosing me for the honour of becoming GotW and thanks for firing off some initial questions. Drop me a mail and I'll arrange to get a copy of Keyper to you when it becomes available as a thank you.
BayushiKira wrote:
Next are some questions to get you started!

1. What are your feelings about becoming the board game GotW?
Very honoured. It feels like I have become a full member of the BGG club and will once again be able to look Tony Boydell in the eye, assuming the light is shining in His Shed.
BayushiKira wrote:
2. What is your favourite board game?
It is difficult to choose. The game I am developing at any one moment is the one I am most engrossed in at any one time and these only get published once I am happy with them. Ignoring the R&D games, the game I have probably played most is Rummikub. It is a great family game and works well with people like my recently deceased father who are/were hard of hearing. It does need a couple of rules tweaks though, in particular allowing 1s and 13s to be joined together in a run.
BayushiKira wrote:
3. Who do you think should be the one who sits on the Iron Throne?
If I change your word 'should' to 'will' it is difficult to see past a union of Jon and Daenerys, once they've despatched the white walkers. I suspect the dragons will sadly meet a sticky end, possibly with Bran's involvement. But then as I don't have pay-TV I am still only up to the end of season 6, so who knows has been killed since then. But if you do mean 'should', then of course it would be Arya.
BayushiKira wrote:
4. Will you ever visit Singapore?
I did manage a 4 hour stop over on my way to Perth in 2004, where I was flown over to be a witness in a court case! But I would love to have a longer stop over. Remarkably, as the case, or rather the repercussions, still rumble on this may even be possible in the next year or so! If I do it would be great to meet as you suggested elsewhere, maybe for a game or two!
BayushiKira wrote:
5. What advice would you give to someone with no idea what they wanted to do with their life?
Think about what they enjoy most in life, whether it is being creative, helping people, playing sport, or whatever. Then explore the possibilities of working in that field. We are only here once. It is a wonderful world. Try and make the most of it. Follow your dreams.
BayushiKira wrote:
6. Will you ever reprint some of the old games that you have designed?
Boardgames is only a hobby for me. I have a 'proper' job as well. So my game time is limited. I prefer to spend that time developing new games. Board games have moved on considerably since I first published in 1989 and I think generally games have developed and improved over that period. I am unlikely to re-issue the early games like Chamelequin and Keywood. That would be like suggesting Martin Wallace re-issues Cloudbusters. But some of the others are a possibility when the time allows.
BayushiKira wrote:
7. Are you having fun yet? (You may want to answer this one again next Sunday.)
So far, so good. Let's make it a date!
BayushiKira wrote:
Enjoy your time in the limelight!
Thanks Eugene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Richard!
Have a great week!
Thanks Doug.
chadnorth wrote:
My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
Its difficult to look past Gandalf. LotR is a wonderful book. A shame it can't really be done justice in the short time available at the cinema. I think it would be great if it got the Game of Thrones treatment. There are of course a number of LotR games which feature the wizard himself. Honourable mentions to Harry, Hermione, Ron, Ginevra, Severus and Albus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Richard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a big surprize to find out that you haven't been nominated so far. Congrats and enjoy your week Richard. Keyflower is one of my favorite games ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Richard!!

1. What's your favorite moment in Essen Spiel (any year)?

2. Which game took you the longest time to finish the design?

Enjoy your week and see you in Essen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Richard,
Thanks T'Leynti, and for your questions.
Narl wrote:
d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
I always play green - whether I am green or not!
Narl wrote:
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
In England we are blessed with four distinct seasons and not too much extreme weather. I enjoy each season in it's turn. And BTW my thoughts are with you all in BGG-Texas land as hurricane Harvey passes over you. I hope you are all ok.
Narl wrote:
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
No musical ones sadly.
Narl wrote:
d10-4 Having fun?
Always.
Narl wrote:
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
A different one.
Narl wrote:
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
Minstels to keep me awake whilst driving. Too many trips late at night.
Narl wrote:
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
Today. I work from home and there is not a strong weekly pattern to my life. Each day is different and there to be filled productively.
Narl wrote:
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
Early morning. I'm fortunate in that I rarely have to set an alarm so can rise when I am ready. I enjoy a run before breakfast, especially if the weather is fine, then breakfast with the morning paper and then the whole day to look forward to.
Narl wrote:
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
Hikaru
Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
Life is short. There is much to do. There are games to design. There are people to meet. There is an Inbox to clear. I hope to enjoy it whilst I am here and not to waste any of it.
Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
To be GotW
Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
In my D&D days I used to be a cleric.
Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?
If I could realise the words of Messrs Lane and Wood of the Faces 'I wish that I knew what I know now, When I was younger' then I would start again in June 1956. I think our generations are blessed to live in a relatively peaceful and prosperous time and doubt that there is a better time to live.
Narl wrote:
Enjoy your week!
Thanks T'Leynti
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morti wrote:
Congratulations Richard!
Thanks David. Hoping to get to play The Cousins' War soon. The game looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Svartisen wrote:
It's a big surprize to find out that you haven't been nominated so far. Congrats and enjoy your week Richard. Keyflower is one of my favorite games ever.
Thanks Jarek, the timing was good with the Keyper just sent to the manufacturers. I hope it can rival Keyflower in your favourites!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smoox wrote:
Congratulations Richard!!
Thanks Chien-Tsun.
smoox wrote:
1. What's your favorite moment in Essen Spiel (any year)?
Spiel is a wonderful event, very positive from start to finish. Board gaming is a very friendly 'industry'. This year will be my 27th year and I have been fortunate to meet many people there who I would now consider friends. For the first dozen years or so I stayed with a German family who I have Christof Tisch (designer of that splendid little game Mosaix) to thank for the introduction. Each year I still visit my former hosts on the Saturday night at Spiel and we are spoilt with some wonderful Bavarian (their home region) vegetarian cooking and company. So that is my highlight.

Also I should mention that if there are any fellow vegetarian Spiel attendees reading, do pop into the Zodiac for dinner. Well worth the visit. I had this restaurant pointed out to me because I was using my vegetarian BGG micro badge at the time!
smoox wrote:
2. Which game took you the longest time to finish the design?
Probably Reef Encounter, but with the time I spent working with David Brain on Key Market being a close second.
smoox wrote:
Enjoy your week and see you in Essen!
Thanks again Chien-Tsun. I look forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Richard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hilgert
Germany
Unspecified
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Richard, well deserved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdsplotter wrote:
Congratulations Richard!
Thanks Jereon. No idea how anyone is finding this thread. Its not pinned on the front page despite e-mails from Eugene #619 and me to admin. Maybe Hurricane Harvey related? I hope all is well with you. A new Splotter Spellen game for Spiel 2017?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montsegur wrote:
Congratulations Richard, well deserved
Thanks Tom. I hope all is well with you. Well done on finding the thread! Think its well hidden at the moment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Malay
United States
Hanson
Massachusetts (MA)
flag msg tools
badge
Check out my No Rules Review channel over on YouTube for more quick, efficient reviews!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Richard! About time you receive such an honor.

One question:

Do you foresee a point where you will quit designing? Either moving on to just producing or just enjoying games.

Congrats again and can't wait for Keyper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
mb
Congratulations Richard! Love your games, and by mail you've always been a gentleman Super-happy to see you GotW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I want (to play) them all, and I want (to play) them now!
badge
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game (that has no relation to your business) would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of commuting to work in London?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Miller
United States
Winchendon
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Memoir '44 World Cup Tournament Organizer - Red Eyed Jack
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Richard!

Have you ever played any of the following games: Memoir '44, Shadows over Camelot, BANG!, High Noon Saloon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kotler
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
I Love Heavy Dry Soulless Euros!!!
badge
When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Richard! I can't believe that you weren't GotW already. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Oh, by the way, I have every single one of your games.

Question:

At the birth of a new design, what pops into your head first theme or mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Richard! Have a week of fun and engrossing gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Richard! Can't wait for KeyPer to arrive!

Do you still play your games once they've been published? Are you picking Reef Encounter at game night?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Congrats Richard. A great honor for a great contributor to our hobby. Reef Encounter has long been a top 10 game for me and remains a special favorite of my wife's. After 10+ years and 2 kids she still requests it the most.

Questions:

1) Which other designer(s) or games do you especially admire?
2) Are there some who you feel work in a creative space that results in games that you enjoy but would likely never make yourself? If yes who?
3) What forthcoming, non-R&D game are you most looking forward to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] |