Subject: Solataire rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Callaway
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
I have read that there are solataire rules, but when I purchased the game I did not get any. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Nummila
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Re:Solataire rules?
callawaw (#29278),

I think you were missinformed. There aren´t any solitaire rules as was I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
callawaw (#29278),

Do you remember where you read that? I'd like to correct the individual that posted that before anyone else listens to him.

Mind you, EE is playable Solitaire, just lay all the blocks flat, and oriented so that the current value is facing North, and play your best for both sides.

The co-designer (Jesse Evans) feels you can play solitaire with fog of war if you tak a vodka each soviet move, a warm beer each British move, a schnapps each German move, etc.

It's not as fun as f-t-f though, as it removes the fog of war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Just out of curiosity, I went over to GMT's web page and checked out how they rated "Soliatire Suitability" of EE. Bearing in mind that GMT tends to rather blatantly exaggerate Solitaire Suitability in general, EE still got a rather generous "Medium" rating, along with an equally-dubious complexity rating of "low-ish" (not that EE isn't a quite straightforward game, but I have a hard time rating a game with 20 pages of rules "low-complexity").

This is not a criticism of EE or Rick - because EE is a fine game - but of GMT, whose complexity and solitaire ratings are usually fabrications. Still, if someone bought this game hoping to play it solitaire, they should instead find someone to actually play it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Young (#29286),

I have played it solitaire on my pool table, (ever since I got this game I don't think I've played a single game of pool), but I leave the blocks upright in normal fashion. Since I don't play every single day, I find if I make a move and let a few days elapse, I can't recall the exact position of every single block. (Granted I am purposely not trying to either). Sure your not going to fool yourself, but when learning and studying EE, solitaire play is at least interesting. I'd say medium suitability is an overstatement, but saying it's unplayable would be overstating it also.

In either case, I find the "fog of war" is something that is generally over-emphasized in terms of importance. I don't deny that the "Fog" exists at times, nor that it isn't important to many block games (especially in the begining of games). Rather "fog of war" is many times not critical to gameplay in smaller games. In fact, I find that in some of the smaller block games like HoTS, there really isn't very much "Fog" at all. (The wintering rules also remove much of the fog.) That doesn't make HoTS any less fun, in fact it might even enhance it's playability for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Callaway
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
I think I read about "solataire suitability" which was a "5" on a 1 to 10 scale from GMT games somewhere. Also in the comments I about EE I see people say they played around with EE solo. I made an incorrect assumption about the solataire rules is all -- there are none. I just wanted to play a bit alone so I could teach it better. The game looks awesome and accurate. The rules seem well thought out. I am so tired of companies releasing games that could be awesome and then ruin the game with bad rules. This does not seem the case with EE, but we will see. I come here every day to check out this game in particular and appreciate the updates, I hope you do very well with this! I have designed rulebooks and understand it takes a few players a few years to work out all the bugs. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
callawaw (#29335),

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think you'll be at all dissapointed. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions. My e-mail address is rick27707@aol.com

Enjoy the game

Rick Young

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.