Félix Bernat Julián
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

This entry is for the 2017 Mint Tin Design Contest https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1834478/2017-mint-tin-desig...

Nº OF PLAYERS: 2-4
PLAYING TIME: 10-15 minutes
GAME CONTENTS: 16 dice (D6) (4xRed , 4xGreen , 4xBlue , 4xPurple) , The Grid (The board) , Score sheet, pen

Author: Félix Bernat

EXPLODING DICE is a puzzle dice game where players roll and slide dices in a grid. The goal is to score as much as possible the dices of your color.

SET UP

One Die of each color will be placed in the corner of each area of his color with the the value 1 face up as showed in the picture.

The rest of the dice are considered the reserve.
Each player will choose a color to play (Red, Green , Purple or Blue)
The Initial player will be chosen randomly and the game will be played clockwise.

THE GAME

The turn of the player is composed of these steps:

1.- Check which color zone has the highest value.
The zone which sum of the values of the dice face up is the highest , is considered the highest value color.

2.-Take die and roll. The player will take a die from the reserve of the same color of the highest value zone and roll it.

In the case there are two or more zones tied with the highest value or there are no die of the color of the highest value zone in the reserve, the player will pick a die of the color with the lowest score , in case of a tie of two or more colors the player can pick one of them. In the case there are no dice to draw with this rule the player can pick any dice from the reserve.

3.-Place die in the Grid . The player will place the die in the grid choosing the entry to the grid. The die will be pushed from the outside following the direction arrows around the grid. The die will move from the grid pushing the dice until some die reach the border of the grid. The dice are placed in the intersections of the lines of the grid.

There is a restriction: The placed die cannot end orthogonally adjacent with other dice of its same color.(The other dice already in the grid do not have this restriction)

4.-Scoring. All dice orthogonally adjacent to another of the same color will score. The points will be added to his current score in the sheet .

5.-Explodin Dice!.All dice orthogonally adjacent to other dice with the same number will score and then, they will be removed from the grid , they will go back to the reserve.

6.-End Turn.The turn will pass to the next player

END OF THE GAME

The game will end immediately if any of these two situations happens:

- After the End turn step some color has reached 50 or more points. (This condition also can be reach by a color with no owner)
- After the End turn step the Grid gets full of dice. Every intersection of the grid has a dice.

VICTORY

The player with the higher score wins.

PnP FILES:

Using Printer

The board

Click here to download the JPG file->>>> http://ge.tt/58lORLm2

Score Sheet

Click here to download the JPG file->>>> http://ge.tt/6rLYRLm2

Without printer

The Score Sheet is not needed to be printed each time you play , just take a piece of paper and write these:

To draw the board , follow these instructions:

Ready to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Drop Zone Droids
badge
Combat deck builder on customizable hex battlefield.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice rule set! You have very clear instructions with your images and notes. Just a note that "dice" is the plural of "die", not "dices". Also the entry says "components ready". I didn't see a link to the board. Is there one? Also I am assuming that the dice used are smaller than the standard size since I think only 15 of the 16mm ones will fit in a mint tin and the game requires 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Bernat Julián
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tyson!

Thanks for the feedback, corrections already made

Also , you are right I forgot to include the board. I will upload the board but also I will give the instructions to make one.

The dice of the pictures shown are from the game "Sagrada". They are 10mm tall

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like games like this one. Simple design, components, and setup. Very clear, well-written rules. Gameplay is easy but deep enough to be played over and over. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Bernat Julián
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John!

Also I am working in a more thematic version of the game

Each face of the dice has a type of Candy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks interesting!

Just to note, for the final 'contest ready' game. everything you need to play, including the rules, will need to fit into the tin.

The rules could be on cards, or as a folded sheet, small booklet...

If a score sheet and pencil are required, then these too I think!
You could, instead, have score trackers, going up to 50, with different coloured cubes/tokens to track scores.
This would have the benefit of being reusable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Molinari
Germany
Sulzbach am Taunus
-Choose a state-
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice and simple to play, I really like it. You can easily "mintinize" it. I made a test version to be played with standard cards size
. I will try it with my family in the next few days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Bernat Julián
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!! I really like your mintinized version . I will Work on it to do one very very similar.Meanwhile your version is perfect for the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cross
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaballeroluna wrote:
Thanks John!

Also I am working in a more thematic version of the game

Each face of the dice has a type of Candy.

Mmmm... Candy...

I took the liberty of copying the rules printed here and putting them into a Word document that can be printed and put into the tin. I will try to message you with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejan Rackovic
Montenegro
Podgorica
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Looks interesting. Haven't played yet but a thought after reading the rules. Would it be more interesting in a 2p game if players would chose 2 colors to score instead one? But still end the game when any one color reaches 50+. Then both players add totals of two of their colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Bernat Julián
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be Dejan,but one strategy with no owners colors is to score them when thte player has an advantage in the scoring to end quick the game. But i did not think about to own two colors per player , i will test it . It feels more natural to play that way.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Fisher
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has a sort of Qwixx feel

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131260/qwixx

Ill make time to play soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Bernat Julián
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Ian

The game is a mix of dice and puzzle.

But the game is not finished, I am still working in two big issues of the game :

1.-Maybe remove the 3rd and 4th player or increase the board or ¿?. The Dice puzzle change so much between turns , the players can not feel control of his strategy in the game.

2.-During the game it should get harder to eliminate dice , causing the end of the game faster. This can be implemented with faces of a die customized. Still thinking an easy and cheap way to get it.

The last month I have worked like crazy and I could not fix these issues. However, I will work on it ( hope to finish it before the deadline of the contest)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Kennington
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Exploding Dice more than I thought I would as I am very shallow and am not really drawn to abstracts (I was really excited about your idea for the sweet theme, its a shame you didn't manage to get further with that!)

We played all the games 2 player, so we didn't experience the chaos problem you mentioned and this was a good fun game, and simple to set up and play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coldron
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look over this, although I didn't get to actually play it.

Like others, I was immediately struck by the nice dice shunting mechanic. I think this has great possibilities but it feels like it's just at the start of the development process rather than near the end. There's a lot of possibilities to be explored with custom dice.

This was my #3 pick for innovation in the mint-tin contest voting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Félix Bernat Julián
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
@Nigel ,I am happy the game surprises you.

I was working in the game and it will have changes. It will have customize dice (with the candy theme) and , as a starting point, it will be a 2 player game.

I will prepare the new rules and a explanation to customizing normal dice with stickers.

@Tom , As you say the game has possibilities but I am still developing it. During the next months the gameplay skeleton will be refined, keeping the game simple , but adding more strategic depth.

Thanks for the feedback

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desiree Rudolph
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
looking forward to trying this. But likely will only play as a 2 player game.
The rules look clear too

the sweets version also looks nice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls