Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stephens
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it was just Leroy and I, we decided to play Hellas. This seems to be our 2 player game of choice lately.

Initial map placement was very different from our other games of Hellas and provided me with an early advantage. We created a large isalnd land mass of 4 tiles with only 1 penninsula touching the dolphin. My armies occupied 3 of the four cities of the island at startup. I also had a penninsual tile off the large island. Leroy had 2 islands, 1 penninsula and 1/4 of the large island.

Since we were pretty equal, the first couple of rounds we both went for bursts of strength. I drew a couple of good Zuess cards that allowed me to play without discarding and also steal a card, in which I was able to acquire a Ships defend like Greeks card. I also had some good Ares cards allowing for extra attackers or converting ships.

Not having the better of the combat, Leroy decided for a voyage in which he discovered a temple. Since he was thin on greeks, he was only able to defend it with two soldiers and no ships. Luckily for me I had a attack on a non-adjacent territory and was able to win the temple. Later, I was able to voyage and find a tile to play next to the temlpe tile solidfying my grip on the territory. No other temple came up during the game so I was able to enjoy the extra action on the burst of strength which provided me with more good cards.

The score went back and forth between 6-3 / 5-4 in my favor most of the middle of play. Leroy was building up his armies planning for a water attack to get back the temple city. I was able to play Zuess - take two turns Burst then Attack cards, gettig 4 actions with the temple majority, on successive rounds. This allowed me to defuse his pending attack and push the score to 8-2. Leroy was down to 3 armies, zero ships on 2 island tiles.

On the last two rounds I was able to take over one of Leroy's island cities and then voyage for my 10th city.

Final 10-1

Game played in about 50 min. We both stated that I seemed to have better cards, or at least the right cards at the right time to make the difference. Both rated the game an 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.