Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
anthony kam
United States
cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the past few months, I've played a lot of Vinci online at http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~nieser/vinci/ (turn-based like E&T here at the geek, not real-time like BrettSpielWelt). In fact I've taught several English-speaking friends about that site, which is in German. My helpfile can be found at http://web.mit.edu/antkam/www/online-vinci-helpfile.txt

The more I play, the more I see Vinci's "flaws", and yet the more I like the game. The "flaws" IMHO are the free and direct attacks, which can sometimes lead to (1) the early game being irrelevant, (2) players whining ("I am not the leader!"), and (3) kingmaking. Not everyone would agree these are flaws, and indeed one can argue (1) is a good feature -- "everyone has a chance till the end!" However, my tastes are different. Among experienced players, these "flaws" seem most pronounced in the 3-player game, where if A goes out of his way to hurt B, he is only losing ground to C. OTOH, in a 5-player game, if A does that to B, then A would be losing ground to C and D and E, and so A would find less incentive to do so. Despite the less crowded board, the 3-player game is actually MORE directly confrontational, when played by strong players. It is not uncommon to see native brown tokens survive to game end in a 3-player game because the players were too busy hitting one another.

Despite these potential flaws, I still love the game because the rest of it is just so enjoyable -- timing your decline and evaluating the new civ powers are (to borrow a Schloesserism) simply delicious. I prefer to play online rather than face-to-face because, at this site, the chat interface is not that great. Consequently, most online vinci games have minimal or no whining. That is not to say there is no leader bashing -- there is some, but at least it's not openly discussed and coordinated. Once in a while someone still whined his way to victory, but those are the exceptions.

Rating of 8-9 after 160+ games. If not for the whining when played by certain players, this would rate close to 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Jacobsen
Denmark
Roskilde
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
antkam (#29333),

what happened to this online version? The website basically just says "closed for business"....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.