Philip Tootill
msg tools
designer
This is my entry for the mint tin contest.

Hanoi, by Phil Tootill

A 10 minute strategy game for 2 players.

Based on Édouard Lucas’s puzzle, the Tower of Hanoi, players must compete to move a three piece tower into their opponent’s territory.

The only components are a game board, made of nine cards, and two sets of three square chits.

Rules and print and play files can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyqwad5efkx4a7g/Hanoi.pdf?dl=0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
A nice cup of tea
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Hanoi - [2017 Mint Tin Design Contest Entry]
Looks good, i'm hoping to get a few plays in this weekend.

One thing i have noticed the rules state that "Pieces can only be placed on top of a smaller piece.." should that not be on top of a larger piece?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Worrall
United Kingdom
BOURNEMOUTH
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice idea and there is scope of interesting tactics.
A few rules need clearing up:
Can a piece finish on the square it started? In other words can the 3 move and then the 1 move away then move back again?

On the first turn do both players move 3 or is it just the Red side due to the 'playing first' advantage?

As mentioned elsewhere shouldn't it be pieces can only be placed onto a larger piece?

Played a few times and it's an interesting game with some subtle tactics. There is scope for expanding it to a 4x4 grid with 4 pieces each and 7 points to spend each turn.
M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
United Kingdom
Shoreham-by-Sea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. Could be tricky for me to test but may try playing against myself.

In the meantime, spotted a few typos/inconsistencies:

opponent's
Pieces can only be placed on top of a smaller larger piece
On later subsequent turns, players get 5 points.
they move their 1, to block to on top of their opponent’s 2. (blocking is not mentioned anywhere else)
The game ends as soon as 1 one player has placed all three of their pieces on their opponent’s starting card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Tootill
msg tools
designer
Thanks for the great feedback! I really should have proofread this better the first time.

Currently, I'm trying to find the most concise rule for blocking a stalemate. Not ending a turn on the same space is a strong possibility, but it still allows players to move the 1 backwards and forwards for a turn while leaving the 2 and 3 in an annoying position. I think I might also need to specify the 2 or the 3 must be moved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Tootill
msg tools
designer
I've uploaded a new version of the rules. It contains a handful of restrictions to prevent stalemates, and a largely untested mini-expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael brown
United States
SANDY
Ut
flag msg tools
designer
publicdomainicons.firebaseapp.com/icons
badge
publicdomainicons.firebaseapp.com/icons
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting. Though I would assume that it is the case, I cannot find in the rules if it is legal to move the same piece two times in the same turn.

Can you confirm this rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Tootill
msg tools
designer
Sorry for the late response- moving the same piece twice in the same turn is legal, and sometimes necessary. For example, you could move the 2 twice, and the 1 once, for a total of five movement points. Alternatively, you could move the 3 once and the 1 twice, or the 2 once and the 1 three times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls