Subject: Solo Player Variant -- Torque's Revenge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: solo [+] [View All]
Jason
United States
Freedonia
flag msg tools
badge
When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
mbmbmbmbmb
News of Grand Lord Emperor Torque's demise after the Battle of Silo 42 has been greatly exaggerated. In fact, word got out that you've been stealing "business" from him and the other raiders, and he's rallied the troops to eliminate the competition! Time to raise enough $crap to get out of dodge...

Victory Condition: Accumulate 60 $crap (adjust for difficulty) and make it back to the Depot.

Failure Condition: If at any time the initial 6 slots of your vehicle are damaged you immediately lose.

All the normal rules apply with the following exceptions:

* There are no first-class priority contracts. All private first-class priority contracts in faction decks should be removed as part of the set-up, before taking one of each and choosing one to keep.
* During set-up place the raider trucks normally and Torque in the remaining 4th corner.
* During combat, raider trucks and enclaves get a bonus of two combat dice rolls to their base defense. Torque also gets this bonus, as depicted on his card.
* Torque's movement is restricted to the center of each terrain tile just like the raider trucks, with only one vehicle allowed in the center of any terrain.
* Any time your vehicle moves onto a zone *without* a raider faction icon or onto an outpost, regardless of whether you end your movement there, immediately move Torque one terrain closer to you, if possible. This will trigger an ambush if Torque enters the terrain you occupy.
* Any time your vehicle moves onto a zone *with* a raider faction icon, immediately move that raider truck one terrain closer to you, unless Torque is already one terrain away from you. In the latter case, move Torque onto your terrain, if possible (no other raider truck currently occupies the center space.) It's Torque's way or the highway!
* Moving through an irradiated zone does not trigger movement of raider trucks or Torque. Only the brave reckless take shortcuts through nuclear fallout!
* Normal "leapfrog" rules apply to Torque as well as raider trucks. Only move an enemy vehicle if it will be closer to your vehicle.
* An ambush triggered during your movement does not stop your movement, but should be resolved immediately.
* You can still attempt to evade a raider truck but enemy movement takes place regardless of outcome.
* You must enter into combat with Torque if you enter the terrain he occupies, even if you've already pillaged this turn.
* If successful in combat with Torque, pillage up to 2 resources of your choice from the general supply and move Torque to the corner terrain farthest from your vehicle. Also, add a weapon token to his card representing a bump up in his base defense. So, for example, after the first successful pillage, Torque's base defense will be 8 (continuing to add 2 dice rolls to subsequent combat encounters as well.)
* Failure in combat with Torque results in two damage to your vehicle, as depicted by his card. And Torque moves back to the corner terrain farthest from your vehicle.
* You're limited to only one trailer, but can take damage in the trailer slots before the main part of your vehicle (you need to get out of here, not build a summer home!)
* Every time you repair your vehicle at the Depot, add $1 to the cost for next time (combat takes its toll, and so do the wasteland mechanics.)
* If you end your turn by taking only a movement action, the momentum will carry forward to the next turn. You can track this by leaving that gear in place at the end of the turn, and moving it one speed higher, if possible, at the beginning of the next turn.

VARIANT:
* Initially raider trucks and Torque only move once per turn, depending on where your vehicle ends its turn. So if you end up on a space with a raider faction icon, that raider truck moves towards you. And if you end up on a space without any raider faction icon or at an outpost, Torque will move towards you.
* Additionally, add a speed-up rule: after you reach halfway to your $crap goal ($30 by default), raiders and Torque start moving every time you move, as originally stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Allen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was thinking about something similar the other night with the movement towards you of raider trucks to make a solo mode viable. I'm not sure I love this one, since knocking out the contracts and the parameters of the game make it kill truck, deliver, buy more guns, but I think it's a good starting point.

I'm going to try this out this weekend hopefully and report back! Thanks for making it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mags Seven

Urbana
Illinois
msg tools
mb
This looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Laskowski
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you saying that if I move 5 spaces, there will be 5 moves by raider trucks, some sort of mixture of Torque and regular raider trucks? It seems like it is going to ambush after ambush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Quadros
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very interested in your variant and since I was learning the game this weekend (to try it with my buddies next weekend) I gave it a try, but if I´m not doing something wrong, I found it very hard, especially at the beginning where your truck isn´t quite up-gunned. Maybe it would be a little bit easier to move torque/trucks only after each of your movements actions, and not after each zone you cross, what do you think? And how did you find it in terms of difficulty?
Also, what do you do in irradiated zones where the whole piece is one entire zone but there are faction symbols in three "entry" spaces? I only moved torque/trucks in the zone I entered and the one I exited, is this your opinion also?
Again, since I just tried it I may be doing stuff wrong, especially in terms of normal game rules.
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Freedonia
flag msg tools
badge
When there's nothing left to burn, you have to set yourself on fire.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I wrote this up or played it, but I think I put in the "raider/Torque moves every time you move" rule to deliberately make it challenging and add an element of keep away at the start since you are unprepared to fight them until gearing up more.

If it's too difficult try a variant where a raider/Torque only moves once per turn based on where your vehicle ends its turn, and let me know how it goes. Additionally, maybe add a speed-up rule: after you reach halfway to your $crap goal ($30 by default), they start moving every time you move, as originally stated.

As for irradiated zones, those should be "free" movement spaces; so raiders/Torque don't chase you when you move through them. The reasoning is that it's already possible to take damage from them, unless you have a RAD Shield, so no double whammies. I'll update the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls