Gianni Cottogni
Italy
Torino
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

this is my try to propose a game for the Green Box of Games.

I had not the opportunity to playtest it with other players, but at a first glance it seems working to me.

This is also my first time I've written a ruleset in English. I'm quite good in reading English, but I don't write often, so please accept my apologies for mistakes or bad style. Corrections are welcome.

------

ZHEN – a two players game.

Components needed:
• 10 tiles
• 10 blue cubes
• 10 red cubes
• one arrow red card
• one arrow blue card.

Goal of the game: to have the highest number of opponent’s cubes in your goal at the end of the game.

Setup: put the tiles in a line, pointing to the two players, put at the end of the line the two cards with the arrows pointed towards the players (they are the goals). Every player starts with his ten cubes in reserve (see picture).

Movement:
Players take turns. At his turn a player MUST execute one of the two actions described below:
Action 1: the player takes ALL the cubes which are on a tile and moves them towards his goal. The cubes are moved exactly by a number of steps (=tiles or goals) equal to the number of the active player’s cubes involved in the move (example: if a tile contains 2 red and 3 blue cubes, all these 5 cubes could be moved exactly by 2 steps towards the red goal by the red player, and exactly by 3 steps towards the blue goal by the blue player). Obviously, a player can move the cubes that are on a tile only if there is almost one cube of his color amongst them.
 A player can move cubes into his goal only moving them by exact number of steps (example: if there is a tile with three red cubes at a distance of two steps from the red goal, the red player cannot move the cubes from that tile to his goal).
 A player can move cubes on his goal also only if there is at least one opponent’s cube on the starting tile (in other words: you cannot move your cubes in your goal without capturing some enemy cubes).
 Cubes which end their movement on a goal, remain there for the rest of the game.
 It is not allowed to make a move which recreate the situation on the board which was before last opponent’s move. In other words, a player’s move cannot “undo” last opponent’s move.
Action 2: the player takes one of his cubes from the reserve and puts it on an empty tile.

End of the game: when one of the player is not able to make a legal move, his opponent takes all the cubes that are still on the tiles and puts them on his goal; then the game is ended.
The winner is the player who has the greater number of opponent’s cubes on his goal.

[edited]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen Brunborg-Næss
Norway
Son
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Nice and clean concept! It is somewhat similar to the ancient African game of Kalah (forum thread for Green Box implementation), but the placement of cubes as a separate action makes it a very different game.

Should there be some kind of starting setup of cubes on the board? I expect this would give the players more options in the beginning, creating a little more variation in possible opening moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Cottogni
Italy
Torino
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Nice and clean concept! It is somewhat similar to the ancient African game of Kalah (forum thread for Green Box implementation), but the placement of cubes as a separate action makes it a very different game.

Thank you. Anyway, in Kalah stones are sown and spreaded; in this game cubes tend to concentrate, since you always move ALL the cubes that are on a tile as a whole.

Quote:
Should there be some kind of starting setup of cubes on the board? I expect this would give the players more options in the beginning, creating a little more variation in possible opening moves.

Well, why not? I thought about an empty board at the beginning, but nothing forbids to try different setups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurizio De Leo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think almost ==> at least.

Seems an interesting game with some similarity to Linjia.

Is there only "ko" or also "superko", i.e. are longer cycles allowed ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianni Cottogni
Italy
Torino
European Union
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think almost ==> at least
You're right! I've corrected it, thank you.

Quote:
Seems an interesting game with some similarity to Linjia.
Linja is even in my wishlist. For a moment, I feared to have copied that game without realizing it; then I checked Linja rules and... phew! they're different enough.

Quote:
Is there only "ko" or also "superko", i.e. are longer cycles allowed ?
Having tried the game only by myself, I did not encountered such a situation yet. I'm going to test and think about it.

Many thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls